New to Princess

rlkubi

11 Princess cruises vs 1 (and absolutely last) Carnival cruise, so please take my opinion for what it’s worth :D.

Princess:

-have never seen smokers smoking outside of designated areas; smoke is well contained at the back (for the 5 ships I’ve been on). Was the opposite on my Carnival cruise. Saw people smoking in non-smoking areas with no consequences and could smell smoke in many parts of the ship.

-much better stateroom storage spaces as others have stated

-higher degree of professionalism in all service staff

-much better entertainment where the theatre production shows are concerned. On our Carnival cruise, the two main production shows involved passengers dressed up to be famous singers, singing one of their hits. Absolutely cheesy and obviously meant as a cost-cutting measure.

-MDR food was better presented and plated

-the layout of the ships allows for a better spread of the passengers. On Carnival, it seemed like the entire world was gathered around the main pool all the time.

-on the particular Princess ships I have been on, the buffet was definitely better in terms of variety and taste.

-I found the adult not for pay Retreat sections of Princess better than the Carnival adult areas.

Carnival:

-Tandoor Kitchen was fantastic

-definitely far more entertaining passengers. Just watching their shenanigans made up for the lack of good production shows on our particular cruise :D. Where else, but on a Carnival cruise, will you see a suitcase being rolled around deck at midnight by a bunch of teenagers, only to have a girl pop out when Security came along. That alone, was worth the price of that very disappointing cruise LOL. Still makes me laugh out loud, 4 years later.

To give you a Vegas analogy, let me summarize by saying that, in my very limited experiences, Carnival was much like staying at a cross between Circus Circus and Harrah’s, where Princess is much like the Bellagio. Mind you, not the penthouse of the Bellagio, but definitely one of the mid-point fountain view rooms.

Edited by h-sar

Thanks for all the responses - please keep them coming!

I'm excited to try Princess and I too have heard Carnival has the bigger cabins. What about the Sanctuary? I guess that is like the Serenity deck on Carnival but more upscale and you have to reserve and pay? Is that correct?

Thanks for your help! Again any tips would be appreciated!

We love the Sanctuary. It’s $20 for a half day and $40 for a full day. We usuallysail in full suites with padded loungers on our balcony. But we always book at least one whole sea day and come go as we liked for the following reasons:

You get an assigned lounger that you choose when you book. I choose one in the shade. When I want some sun they will let you use another if they are open. The loungers are much bigger, much more sturdy and have a really thick comfy cushion. Best afternoon nap ever.

There is a special food menu. Order what you want and there’s just a $3 delivery fee. I’ve never had them charge more than $6 no matter how many orders we make.

They will also bring you cocktails from the bar. If you have the beverage package they are covered within those limits.

It’s peaceful and quiet.

They have spa type water. I love my cucumber water.

They serve afternoon tea. Same offerings as in the dining room. This is how you can have tea in your swim suit😉

While I’ve never had a cruise where the Sanctuary has sold out I’ve heard it happens. I always book my chair in the Sanctuary upon boarding. You get the best choice of chairs then as well.

You don’t pay until after you use the service. If the weather is bad and you don’t want to go just tell them and you are not charged.

While the balconies on most of Princess’ Suites are fabulous, I enjoy the pampering, extra luxurious loungers and the views from the Sanctuary.

Thanks all! I'm excited! That said I'll continue to book Carnival because of the price - I could go on 5 Carnival cruises for the price of this one cruise on Princess :). It will be nice to try something different. I will miss my free laundry though :).