Using a phone in Europe

Babushka2

What part of a rhine cruise is outside the eu?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Geez, this should not be a geography lesson. But since you asked, there are some Rhine cruises that go into Switzerland.

Hank

I just called T-mobile to see about service with them, based on advice here.

Good offer -- for seniors over age 55, two lines would be $70 per month with autopay (as opposed to prepaid which she said would be $70 each), unlimited text & 2G data (or boosted to 4G for additional $15 per line), and no additional fees other than $0.25 per minute for calls (and taxes). SFSG!

But the rep couldn't tell me how the phone service would actually work in Europe. Would I dial 011 to get out of the US system, and then the country code, etc., just like I was calling from the US?

Good offer -- for seniors over age 55, two lines would be $70 per month with autopay (as opposed to prepaid which she said would be $70 each), unlimited text & 2G data (or boosted to 4G for additional $15 per line), and no additional fees other than $0.25 per minute for calls (and taxes). SFSG!

But the rep couldn't tell me how the phone service would actually work in Europe. Would I dial 011 to get out of the US system, and then the country code, etc., just like I was calling from the US?

It seems to vary depending on which phone system is being used by your phone. We usually start with just the local number (including area code) and if that doesn't work you can try it with the country code. But when using the country code for the USA (for example) you would dial +1 and then area code. The 011 thing is something we do here in the US, but overseas when using a cell phone it is usually just a + and then the country code (the USA is just 1). T-Mobile probably has specific instructions somewhere on their web site.

Hank

No, you dial the country code, and number. For US, I dial the 1, but my saved ones dial fine without it.

UPDATE -- With T-mobile, the SIM cards cost $25 each which the rep did not mention -- so add $50 to the cost for two seniors that I described above!

Huh???

I just paid $10 for a T-Mobile sim.

No, you dial the country code, and number. For US, I dial the 1, but my saved ones dial fine without it.

On phones, "+" replaces the local prefix code for international calls (which varies by country - 011 from the US, but 001 from many countries). Easier to remember (or store) the +.

For example, you can store all of your US numbers in your phone as "+1 (xxx) yyy-zzzz" and they'll connect fine no matter where you are and which country SIM you have installed.

For non-T-Mobile customers who travel overseas frequently, you can keep a T-Mobile prepaid acct open for $3.00/month. Maybe use it as a burner or a # to give out when you don't want to give your real number.

When it's time to travel, you can easily switch to the lowest post-paid plan for the free int'l text & data as well as voice in several countries. Pop the sim in your unlocked phone and you're set.

I like how you receive a text msg when entering a different country confirming the T-Mobile partner carrier, free sms & data roaming as well as the voice rate per minute.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk