Car Rental Company

merle65

Hi we are both September 22nd on the Blissful Alaska and was wondering what we should do excursions ,rent a car ,private tours we booked at the last minute I can't make up my mind. Excursion seem to be pretty expensive on Norwegian, any information be great. Does anybody know the best excursions through Norwegian?

We don't know your interests, budget or any other limitations, like mobility, so hard to tell you what you might want to do. There are dozens of threads here on activities in each port (another issue, we don't know what ports you stop in). There are also many, many recommendations on private vendors in each port.

"Best" is a totally subjective and vague term. What does "best" mean to you?

Since you posted "Car Rental" depending on how many of you there are you can save $$$ driving in Skagway or Juneau. Ketchikan is really small.

As the previous poster has said.....what is best for me might not be for you. I would suggest going over to Trip Advisor and looking up your ports of call for info. Happy planning.

Hi we are both September 22nd on the Blissful Alaska and was wondering what we should do excursions ,rent a car ,private tours we booked at the last minute I can't make up my mind. Excursion seem to be pretty expensive on Norwegian, any information be great. Does anybody know the best excursions through Norwegian?

If you can narrow down what you want to do at your ports reserving excursions as soon as possible is a good idea. You could be disappointed if you wait until the last minute. I've rented cars in Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka. I like the flexibility it allowed us in going where we wanted - they aren't that expensive for a day and I like being on my own schedule. It's not for everyone but it works for us!

Good luck!

I currently have a minivan rented in Ketchikan for 7 of us because no excursions caught our eye. I see one person also opted for a car here as well, but one person is sayingKetchikan is small. Is it worth it to use the rental car in Ketchikan? we would like to get outside of the crowds, see a lake, walk a trail. maybe even fish a little. any advise would be great

I currently have a minivan rented in Ketchikan for 7 of us because no excursions caught our eye. I see one person also opted for a car here as well, but one person is sayingKetchikan is small. Is it worth it to use the rental car in Ketchikan? we would like to get outside of the crowds, see a lake, walk a trail. maybe even fish a little. any advise would be great

The downtown area of Ketchikan IS small. If you only want to walk around the central business area, no car is necessary. If you want to get away from the crowds it will be great to have your own wheels. We rented from Alaska Car Rental and I 100% recommend them. They were supposed to meet us at the ship's gangway at 7:30 AM - the guy was there about 7:25. He had the car in a nearby parking lot. We had a practically brand new Kia Optima - SUPER CLEAN too. He told us to just park the car back in the same lot with the keys locked inside. The entire process with Alaska Car Rental was 100% positive.

What we did was head north out of downtown with the intention of going to Totem Bight. It's maybe a 15-20 minute drive. Nice. When we finished there we continued on north to the very end of the highway to Settler's Cove where the car rental guy told us there's a great photo op area with some waterfalls and a nature trail. Very nice! We wouldn't have known about this if he hadn't told us. It was the 1st week of May but if it had been later there would have been a better chance of seeing bears eating salmon in the creek (Lunch Creek...) Afterwards we went back towards downtown with a stop at Walmart for an additional suitcase - we had bought way too many things during our cruise. Two years early we had ziplined at a place south out of town so went went back out there (the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary) because there's a blacksmith there - he has some very cool handmade items to buy. When we made it back to town we parked right near Creek Street for some time there. Our ship was leaving at about 1:30 PM and we had plenty of time to do everything we wanted. The car was PERFECT for us.

Good luck!