Monte Mario in Rome? Or something similar?

sushraya

We've been to Rome before and do not want to do the main sights. We would like to get to Rome from Civitavecchia and then spend a relaxing afternoon there before heading back. I read about Monte Mario - a hill that overlooks Rome. Apparently, there's a restaurant there where you can get lunch and good views of Rome. It looks fairly easy to get to this by train - but has anyone who's been there, comment on this? Do we need to hike up the hill ? Is the view worth it?

Any other alternatives? We loved the time we spent in Piazza Margherita in Venice and Piazza Navona in Rome - guess we could go back to Piazza Navona if we didn't come up with anything better,

While it's a 'nice' suburb of Rome, I don't think I'd go there if I only had an afternoon.

How much of Rome have you done? The Capitoline Museums are fabulous and have two great "views" -- one overlooks the Centro Storico and you can have a nice snack or light meal there. The other is a great view over the Forum and is part of the ancient Tabularium, the place in Rome where all the laws passed by the SPQR (Senate and People of Rome) were engraved on stone tablets and kept.

Or go to Castel Sant'Angelo -- not only can you see the bare remains of Emperor Hadrian's tomb, but also the (much later) Papal apartments at the top and again a nice sit-down area for snacks/meal/glass of wine and another grand view over the Tiber and into Rome.

The Gianicolo hill is another option (you don't have to walk it, you can take a bus) with a few interesting monuments and another great view of Rome -- maybe best at sunset: https://www.rome.net/janiculum-hill

I can think of many others I'd recommend before Monte Mario, unless you've exhausted all that's available in Rome....

The only place with a good view up there AFAIK is La Pergola at the Cavaliari Hilton (now Waldorf Astoria) with a price to match. It's only open for dinner 4-5 days a week (have to have the A team on all the time to earn/keep its 3 Michelin macaroons.) Views from the lower floors are not as good and prices are still €€€€.