Finance Q - AUST Currency Conversion

Rod&Deb

Hi All I am not very good with overseas conversions. The question of the Xpress Pass is to choose Celebrity currency conversion or to choose my credit card issuer currency conversion. Is there usually much difference and which would you normally choose. Not that we will be using much money as we have 600 US OBC and Premium drinks package plus Internet all free part of the go best. (Well not really free LOL). Can anyone advise please

Hi All I am not very good with overseas conversions. The question of the Xpress Pass is to choose Celebrity currency conversion or to choose my credit card issuer currency conversion. Is there usually much difference and which would you normally choose. Not that we will be using much money as we have 600 US OBC and Premium drinks package plus Internet all free part of the go best. (Well not really free LOL). Can anyone advise please

It depends on your credit card. Some have 0 conversion cost, but some have up to 4% conversion cost.

That said, many cards now charge international fees even if the amount is in Australian dollars but done overseas, in which case you'd still be worse off as you may get hit with conversion charges twice if Celebrity does conversion.

Thus, if you don't know, on balance it's more likely you'll get a better rate by choosing that your credit card issuer do conversion, not Celebrity.

Don’t let Celebrity do the conversion. Their rate is usually much lower than the banks. Plus, as others said depending on your bank you may get hit with fees anyway because it was processed overseas.

We use a 28° Credit card for any overseas transactions as they are fee free.