LIVE from Grand Princess 01/07/06 Sailing

LauraS

Guest AdmiralNelson
Uh Oh. I hope the lack of an answer isn't a bad sign!

Just a guesstimate, Admiral.

Will it take days, months or weeks to repair the situation? :confused:

Sorry, didn't see your post 'till just now. We've been told at least next two cruises will be same itinerary as this week, that's as much as I know, sorry if this isn't what you wanted to see.

CN ~ we have had a wonderful time. We have laughed and enjoyed ourselves immensely and that's what is important, right? Everything else is minor stuff in the grand scheme of things. :) No matter where the ship sails, you can have a terrific time!

CN ~ we have had a wonderful time. We have laughed and enjoyed ourselves immensely and that's what is important, right? Everything else is minor stuff in the grand scheme of things. :) No matter where the ship sails, you can have a terrific time!

Anne, glad you guys are having fun!!! Will you tell Randy that they moved the position of the webcam and it's now facing the stage??? Haven't seen anyone on it, so not sure if it is live... but hate for him to keep going in there making a fool of himself and nobody to watch :D:D:D

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!!!!!!!

We can't anchor in Playa because of the coral reef so we have to use engines/thrusters to stay in position.

Admiral:

What is the cost of that operation? What is the fuel economy of a Grand Class vessel? How much fuel does it carry and where is fuel depot? Sorry, I ask silly questions with nothing to do with the trip.

I am not really into cruising, just crazy for a lady that is. For me it is like being stuck in a shopping mall and it doesn't matter where we get out just that we do:D.

BTW: Thanks for all your input and we will see you on January 21. You are invited to join us as we celebrate 25 years together and have the Captain renew our vows.

After reading these comments I'm really not that upset if our cruise itinerary changes from Grand Cayman to Playa Del Carmen on the Feb 4th sailing. It looks as though tendering is going to be tough, and with the Cayman getting reports of such long waits perhaps Playa Del Carmen is the best, plus you get to spend 10 hours in port as opposed to 7 before the changes. Although I would have preferred to visit GC I don't want to be fighting crowds the whole time and all the reviews of PDC seem to be very good. I also understand however that some people may have chosen this ship because of Grand Cayman, unfortnately with any cruises the cruise line has the right to change the itinerary at any point. Just trying to point out the positives.:) I'm thinking of using Priceline for a resort accomodation this way we can enjoy the hotel facilities for a day. Cruising is still by far the best value for the $$.

Hey, guys! We'll be on the Grand the 21st so it's great to hear the electrical problems are fixed. Did your Grand Cayman port get changed for Playa de Carmen? Also, does Princess have a topless sun deck like Carnival does?

According to Admiral Nelson on this thread it looks as though the next two week's sailings will be visiting Playa Del Carmen, but of course none of this is confirmed, just guessing at this point I believe:)

Admiral Nelson

Do you know if on the Feb 25th cruise will we check-in at the pier? There will be 3 ships in port that day. Last time they made people check in at the Hotel Galvez. That will make it hard to get people back to the ship with the parades they have planed for Saturday at 11 am. It is Mardi Gras weekend in Galveston. Once on ship I don’t care if we never leave port.lol I will be on it. (Not really but I am trying to make myself believe that.lol) Thank you for giving us updates. Thank you Anne also it has been great being able to read all about your trip.

http://calendar.galveston.com/cgi-bin/webevent.cgi

Jo Ann

Host Anne, glad to hear you and Amanda are having a good time despite some of the glitches you've experienced. I'm sure you'll be sad to disembark tomorrow but at least you have a sea day to enjoy today.

Give my regards to Laura!

Have a safe trip home and drop me an e-mail once you get settled.

Karen

One of the many things we like about Celebrity cruises is that they use their lifeboats as tenders. The tendering process is quick, and they don't have to rely on third parties to provide service.

We've been on the Grand before (her first year on the water), and thought it was a great ship. We're on the Feb 4th sailing, which will be our first trip on Princess in a few years. We cruise every year, and this trip will determine if we consider Princess for future cruises. As another poster said, if I wanted to spend a week in Mexico (Belize is close enough to consider it part of Mexico), I would have booked a land-based resort. I guess we'll just have to wait, and see how they handle the situation.

The mechanical problems seem to have started to surface in the Mediterranean (if you read some reviews from this past summer), so they've had plenty of time to take appropriate action. If my own boat isn't 100%, it stays tied to the dock until it's fixed. However, I don't stand to lose millions of dollars of revenue, as they would, if a sailing is cancelled. I firmly believe that they are driven more by money than by their customers' satisfaction. It's the first indication of a company's decline.

Cruiseline customer service departments have always been clueless, as far as what is going on with a particular ship. I have to believe that it's a conscious effort by management, and not the customer service rep's ineptitude. Everthing else is highly computerized, and they can't find a way to get current information to their customer service people? Get serious! On the other hand, I left a voicemail with the Princess folks in charge of their diving program, and never received a call back. Sorry AdmiralNelson, we never had a dimming of the lights, even for a short time, when we sailed on the GP years ago. "It's normal" just doesn't cut it.

Host Anne, thank you for your daily updates. I'm glad to hear that you folks are having a good cruise (changes aside), and only hope that we have good weather in Feb. I'll have a good cruise, because I "go with the flow." I only get crazy when deciding which cruise to take!

OK, now I need to get off of my soap box, and get to work.

Guest AdmiralNelson
Will you be back from vacation and be joing us on the 25th of Feb cruise?

I can't meet up with people as I could get in trouble for posting here. Also after I go for vacation (2 months) I will be going to another ship.

Guest AdmiralNelson

And for the other question, no I can't answer the question about the $75 as I simply don't know. No decision on something like that would be made before the cruise has even begun, that's a cruise by cruise decision.

Good morning, everyone. It's sunny and warm here onboard the Grand this morning. The Patter said the high today would be 65F but if feels like its warmer than that already (9:30 AM). The Patter also reported that we will dock in Galveston tomorrow morning at 7:00 AM and we haven't been told of any delays so I'm expecting we'll be docked accordingly.

No real plans today. I think I need to walk an extra mile this morning for all the desserts eaten this week. We are going to the steakhouse for dinner this evening (Painted Desert on the Grand; Sterling's on other Princess ships). Should be another great dining experience and a lot of fun.

Randy did not make it to dinner last night so I doubt that he made it to the 10:00 PM webcam appointment he's had all week. We were all in there on Tuesday night to say hello but I don't think anyone say us. We were at the front so we should have been on camera. Of course, all the girls behaved :) .

Hi Karen ~ GREAT to see your name pop up. I'll be sure to tell Laura you said hello this evening when I see her at dinner. I'll be in touch when we get back home as well.

Captain Lou ~ thanks for checking in. I see you are recent to posting and hope that you will continue to join the conversations here on the boards. Fortunately for me, I have the opportunity to sail with Celebrity in just two weeks (our regular winter vacation planned before the Cruise Critic Host Cruise popped up -- I normally do not have the luxury of doing two cruises in six weeks time). I've never sailed on two ships so close together so it will be an interesting comparison. Having sailed both Grand Princess and Mercury in the past, I knew before taking this cruise that ship for ship, my personal preferance is Mercury (one example is I enjoy the open two story dining rooms over the low ceiling dining rooms on Princess). But this will be a good chance to really get a feel for one ship and line to the other. I tend to agree with your comments regarding money. It really is all about money, sadly. But we have had great service for the most part here on the Grand and our week spent with Cruise Critic hosts and members has been well worth the time. I'm certain that those sailing on Grand will enjoy their experiences as well.

ooo I will be in that room in 7 weeks....Feb 25th.....How is noise from club below? I can't wait......

DH & Iwill be on the same cruise and the AD categories were all booked. I'm in AB cat, but am waitlisted for AD cat. Now that I know you have one of the two that I'd want, I may just take off the request.:) I hope you have a super time, it looks like a great location.

Keep me informed of anything you hear about port changes. I'm hoping they won't cancel Grand Cayman (my favorite port.)

I noticed you had been on Carnival before. Don't know if they have afternoon tea, but it's really wonderful on Princess. Have only been on Princess one time and it was "creme de la creme to me." Others were Holl. Amer. & RCI.:D

One of the many things we like about Celebrity cruises is that they use their lifeboats as tenders.

If my own boat isn't 100%, it stays tied to the dock until it's fixed. However, I don't stand to lose millions of dollars of revenue, as they would, if a sailing is cancelled. I firmly believe that they are driven more by money than by their customers' satisfaction.

I think I would be far more upset if my cruise were totally cancelled than a change of ports. It is unfortunate that things break. FYI - The use of local tenders is a port requirement not a PC decision. They frequently use their own lifeboats in other ports. In some areas the cruise lines have built thier own docking facilities so as not to be limited by locaal tender docks. It should be interesting as the locals start to loose the dockings of these ships because of their reluctance to work with the lines, to see what happens. The loss of these dockings could be decimating to a local economy. First it was Jamica now its GC. Coz has bent over backwards even delaying local repairds in order to insure the ships keep coming. Can't wait to be aboard the 21st

It could happen! We were originally booked in E727 & E729 for our cruise with instructions for no upgrade for fear of losing 729 to a Dolphin deck mini and somewhat the chance of being seperated from inlaws in 727. Two weeks ago both cabins were upgraded to aft Premium Suites on Caribe.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

I can't meet up with people as I could get in trouble for posting here. Also after I go for vacation (2 months) I will be going to another ship.

Why would you get in trouble for posting here? I'm also wondering why you never answered specific questions about the ship like when Host Anne asked why the ship is leaning towards one side? Sorry, I'm still skeptical as to if you are a Princess employee on the Grand at this time. Also, Cruise Critic members are on this cruise but none of them have verified that you are on their sailing? Just trying to understand:)

I'm also wondering why you never answered specific questions about the ship like when Host Anne asked why the ship is leaning towards one side?

He answered many times about the ship leaning. He said it is when they are in port and to ease with the tendering process. Read the entire thread and you shall find the answer.

Archived