Carnival Beer Station (PYOB) - thoughts & suggestions

Tallyfins

We recently returned from the Sunshine and this was my first time on a ship that had the pour your own beer (PYOB) stations. Based on other drink options and pricing on the ship, I thought this was a good idea. I would take advantage of it again, but here are my thoughts and feedback. https://www.carnival.com/onboard/beer-station

There were only 2 beer choices - Bud Light and the Red Frog Ale. It would be good to see a few more options, but at least it wasn't only Bud and Bud Light. I liked the Red Frog Ale. The price was determined by how many ounces you poured into your cup. It was something like $0.31/oz or something like that. Overall not bad for a 12 oz. beer. About what you would pay for at a typical bar back home. Also - you had about 15-20 seconds to pour your beer, so make sure you have your cup in hand as you swipe your sail and sign card with the other! :)

What I didn't like:

1) If no one had recently pulled a beer, the head (even if you angled the glass accordingly) had built up in the line/keg/wherever. So that meant more head/less beer in the cup. The good thing is that at least it didn't appear I was paying for that. A couple of times, my glass was half beer and half foam, but the price was less than when I was able to fill my beer cup completely.

2) This is the main irritation that I had with this option. While I understand someone has to monitor this station, attend to the area, change the kegs periodically, etc. I did not like the fact that Carnival charged me a 15% tip to POUR MY OWN BEER!

All in all - I would do this again as I like the Red Frog Ale, but the fact that I am serving myself AND have to tip on top of that is disconcerting.

Hope you guys find this helpful! :)

Tallyfins

Edited by Tallyfins
Didn't finish

We recently returned from the Sunshine and this was my first time on a ship that had the pour your own beer (PYOB) stations. Based on other drink options and pricing on the ship, I thought this was a good idea. I would take advantage of it again, but here are my thoughts and feedback. https://www.carnival.com/onboard/beer-station

There were only 2 beer choices - Bud Light and the Red Frog Ale. It would be good to see a few more options, but at least it wasn't only Bud and Bud Light. I liked the Red Frog Ale. The price was determined by how many ounces you poured into your cup. It was something like $0.31/oz or something like that. Overall not bad for a 12 oz. beer. About what you would pay for at a typical bar back home. Also - you had about 15-20 seconds to pour your beer, so make sure you have your cup in hand as you swipe your sail and sign card with the other! :)

What I didn't like:

1) If no one had recently pulled a beer, the head (even if you angled the glass accordingly) had built up in the line/keg/wherever. So that meant more head/less beer in the cup. The good thing is that at least it didn't appear I was paying for that. A couple of times, my glass was half beer and half foam, but the price was less than when I was able to fill my beer cup completely.

2) This is the main irritation that I had with this option. While I understand someone has to monitor this station, attend to the area, change the kegs periodically, etc. I did not like the fact that Carnival charged me a 15% tip to POUR MY OWN BEER!

All in all - I would do this again as I like the Red Frog Ale, but the fact that I am serving myself AND have to tip on top of that is disconcerting.

Hope you guys find this helpful! :)

Tallyfins

Thanks for the info! I always wondered about the foam and if you were charged for it. I don't mind paying the fee because I would rather have the convenience of not waiting for a beer and being able to get it when I want. Someone has to take care of the station and you choose if you want to use it or not. I've done this with the wine stations and love them. This just gives us another option rather than waiting at the bar. Thanks for the great review.

I LOVED the IDEA of the pyob station on the breeze, unfortunately, they only had red frog ale on tap the entire cruise and I can't stand the stuff. Im with OP, hopefully they have a wider variety on tap eventually.

I love the PYOB station. I can get a great sized beer for about $4.50. Further reminder why I don't need Cheers.

My biggest complaint is that the kegs aren't monitored enough. If I'm going to pay the 15% tip, it should at least work.

My DH was very excited about this, on Breeze and Glory this year...both trips he was disappointed. The keg needed to be changed about half the time he went to use it. And also people tended to leave the handle pulled out, so we saw the next person lose some beer when they swiped their card as they didn't have the cup under the spout already. It starts flowing immediately as you swipe! When the machines worked they were fine, he loves the Red Frog Red, but...as I said, about half the time it wasn't operating. Also, one time it let him swipe and nothing came out, so he went to bar to ask...they said he had to go down to Red Frog Pub and get the refund. Hassle!

Anyone know if Magic has this? We are not new to cruising but new to Carnival and are sailing this fall. I thought I had seen that you can get a pitcher of their house beer (red frog) for a decent price compared to ordering bottles of standard domestics etc?

Thanks!

My husband found that it was best to have 2 cups available (on the Sunshine) so you didn't lose any beer if the beer and foam flowed quickly. Also, Red Frog Pub had 1/2 price beer and tropical drinks from 3-5 pm on days we were in port. My husband bought the bucket (bottles of beer) in Red Frog Pub at 1/2 price and put it in the fridge in our cabin. He could have a beer anytime --- but take an opener !! The tropical drinks were great --- at 1/2 price and friendly bartenders.