Garment Bag as Carryon?

kiltilad

:rolleyes: I called Delta airlines and they said I can still take a garment bag as a carryon. This would be super for our tuxes, but since the person sounded like they wer an "outsourced" employee I wanted to hear from some travelers if this was still true?

:rolleyes: I called Delta airlines and they said I can still take a garment bag as a carryon. This would be super for our tuxes, but since the person sounded like they wer an "outsourced" employee I wanted to hear from some travelers if this was still true?

Of course you can take a garment bag. However, if you are flying other than first or business, do not expect your garment bag to be hung up in a closet. It will have to be put in the overhead, with all the other luggage. It will probably have to be folded in thirds (which kind of defeats the garment bag) and lots of times I have seen them scrunched to the max. A few weeks ago, two in the overhead looked like wadded up black garbage bags.

If you really want a garment bag, invest in a hard sided garment bag (like a Hartman or Samsonite). Lots of times you can get a gently used Hartmann on Ebay for a $100.00 or so. Solves all the nasty wrinkled tux and dress problems.

We took our soft-sided Samsonite garment bag as a carry-on aboard Delta last month. On the larger aircraft, it may fit in the overhead. On the smaller commuter jets that Delta operates, such as the Embraer that we were on, it goes underneath with all the other larger pieces. Seems to me that it would better that way, rather than trying to smash it into a small overhead bin.

And our dress clothes came out just fine.

Hope that helps.:)

Archived