Isn't Ocean Medallion Really Princess's Version of "Freestyle Cruising"?

need2cruisesoon

***** is a marketing tool, pure and simple.

Concur. Most are now connecting it with the new speedy internet with which most love.....but you can have that for the whole ship at

Certain latitudes without ***** of any kind. Magic. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

***** apears to be many years away from full fleet implementation if ever. Why speculate on something that is not anywhere near working. If I am lucky I will nevr see it.

I just got off Caribbean Princess yesterday. Ocean Medallion is being rolled out piece by piece in a very measured way. I'm sure they are learning a lot along the way. We didn't have the actual Medallion but I did see a few folks with it. Our key cards opened the door by tapping the LCD panel that replaced the mailboxes. All purchases onboard were made by tapping the card. Purchases at bars did require them to run the card through the scanner (if they didn't know your folio number), but the cardholder's picture would appear on their screen. It did seem that crew was getting familiar with their tablets too. Except for the double scanning that was required at embarkation, muster (we apparently didn't get scanned by the old system and got a stern letter the next day about missing muster), going ashore and disembarkation, it seemed to work very well. The double scanning should go away soon I was told.

And MedallionNet was phenomenal. I was able to use FaceTime with ease and posting pictures to iCloud was very fast. Faster than home... And I found that to be a two-edged sword. Before, I had to conserve my minutes, but with unlimited broadband Internet access, it was easy to just stay connected. Which meant answering texts, checking email, etc. that I just didn't do before when I was counting minutes. Of course, unlimited MedallionNet will go away once the "preview" is complete, but Platinum/Elites should still get a very generous allotment. At the very least, folks will be able to get stuff done much quicker than before with fewer connectivity issues. It's definitely a win-win.