first cruise ever and give it 5 stars but have a few compare questions

We sailed on the Symphony 7 days round the Med in Europe.

1. The continuous maintenance was impressive, they were always wiping things down, washing decks, checking things washing balconies down.- was this because it was a new ship and once it has left for Florida will they reduce this.

2. Main dining room, we always sat on a table for 4 (2 ad 2c), is this the case on all cruises, i thought there might be large tables for 10 and we all mixed (i preferred our own table)

3. the hygiene, there was "gels everywhere" automatic doors to loo's, staff asking and checking you either wash or gel your hands before entering food area.

4. Staff were so helpful and friendly. Were we lucky or are all staff on RCI friendly.

5. on older ships what is the upkeep like, do they maintain them well.

My wife has converted me to cruising now but she has set the bar very high with booking the largest and newest chip available.

What are the others like?

... 2. Main dining room, we always sat on a table for 4 (2 ad 2c), is this the case on all cruises, i thought there might be large tables for 10 and we all mixed (i preferred our own table) ...

If you choose traditional (fixed) dining, you would normally be seated with others. If you chooce My Time (flexible) dining, then they normally seat your party by itself.

We sailed on the Symphony 7 days round the Med in Europe.

1. The continuous maintenance was impressive, they were always wiping things down, washing decks, checking things washing balconies down.- was this because it was a new ship and once it has left for Florida will they reduce this.

They are ALWAYS cleaning the ships. That has always impressed me about RCCL. Glad you enjoyed the cruise!

Stick to the newer ships or ones that are just out of dry dock after refurbishment. I say this because yesterday I got off Navigator and it was looking tired and worn and a bit tatty round the edges. For example carpets in the Windjammer were faded and stained. Call it wear and tear - nothing lasts forever and no amount of cleaning would make much difference. The huge aft windows in there needed a proper deep clean. The bathroom in my stateroom was spotlessly clean but the vanity unit was chipped in several places and the toilet had a big crack in it. There was a big rip in the carpet where the chair had been constantly pushed back under the dressing table. It

is due for a much needed refit soon I believe.

What I am saying is - yes they do clean all the time but things age and get worn over the years. Our balcony was washed twice over a 2 week cruise. But even though it was clean the balcony was rusty - every day I found big flakes of paint on the floor. Rust happens on ships - and again no amount of cleaning will stop that either.

Hygiene is always on high priority to avoid norovirus. I actually thought it wasn’t as good on the Symphony as on other ships because I saw many many many people bypass the hand washing stations, whereas on other ships they basically don’t let you in without putting Purel on your hands.

We’ve always found the staff to be excellent and friendly :).

Glad the cruise bug bit you! It really was a great cruise on the Symphony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you choose traditional (fixed) dining, you would normally be seated with others. If you chooce My Time (flexible) dining, then they normally seat your party by itself.

If you choose Traditional Fixed Dining, you can request a table for two in advance. That is what I did on my first cruise and all the cruises I have booked in the future. Wasn't a problem at all.

For the most part I would say you just experienced RCCL. However, Symphony is the nicest ship we have sailed. Being brand new helps. They are always very hygiene conscious (in fact I would say it was more lax on Symphony than our other cruises). We also try to hit ships soon after dry dock if possible. I was def worried about Oasis class size...but it is our favorite by far. The flow is just much better than Freedom class (which we also love).