Train up to Anchorage after our cruise

ken_nyc

Not everyone likes driving. One ussue is the driver gets the short end if the stick having to keep an eye on the road. I dislike having to plot driving itineraries in locales not known to me. Yet I surely would not advise those who enjoy driving to take the train instead. As for us, we'll take the train in the two-decker Gold Star class to be assured of fab views, weather permitting.

Jim and I will cruise with Windstar out of Seward in July 2019. Flying into anchorage and overnighting, taking the four-hour train trip the next day. Two nights in Seward.

I’d strongly suggest you find out what is available in Seward for your interests. But I would never advocate for wasting the day doing nothing. ����. Www.seward.com. A week + ago the depot was was storing bags-but remember you will have NO access to them until Anchorage.

Staff are going to encourage passengers to exit the ship. So plan on by 9 am

The depot is walkable with no mobility issues. I always walk to/from the boat tour vendors. There is a loop shuttle bus as well.

The fear of taking a tour is unfounded. You can be transferred to the station or easily simply walk.

I have managed to book a Kenai Fjords National Park Tour and they assure me that the boat docks back well in time for us to catch our onward train journey. Many thanks for your advice. Not only do they have shuttle buses for this purpose but the train station is but minutes away.

Years back, we were on the Princess chartered coach from Anchorage to Whittier. There were beluga whales in Turnagain Arm, we had time (coaches are scheduled around the tunnel times, or, were then) so the coach stopped to give us time to get out & see the whales, take photos....

Personally, I dislike renting a car when on vacation in general. And it can be difficult for the driver to see the scenery if paying attention to, you know, actually driving. In that case, a train or coach would be preferable. I hate to have to fight with my spouse about who has to drive. So, opinions do vary;p

Our upcoming cruise ends in Seward and we thought about the train but my husband didn't like the times so we have opted for the coach....

If I remember correctly, when we looked at getting from Anchorage to Seward after dropping the rent car, it was a 6:45 pick up time in Anchorage for the train.

Years ago, we took the train independently. We went on a dog sledding tour and then to the Sea Life Center prior to the train trip. Loved it! Very memorable day.

This summer, we were in port at Anchorage and rented a car. I originally had other plans for the day, but 48 hours before arrival a rental car opened up (they had been full), so we changed our plans. We drove the Seward Highway to the Portage Valley Recreation Area and back, stopping at multiple places of interest. It was an absolute highlight! Words can’t describe the beauty!

The train was perfect for our first trip to the area, the car was perfect for our second.