Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

Sheraton Yankee Clipper is right next door to BW Oceanside Inn. It's an older hotel that could use a remodel but it's a million times better than the BW!

You'll be fine at Yankee Clipper... It's clean, it's just old, but it's perfectly fine for the price. It's right on a very nice part of the beach, very close and easy to get from the airport and to the port. The neighborhood is very safe, and you can get the Water Taxi a block away.

• 1 month later...

I am having trouble getting a room in Fort Lauderdale for next year already! I tried the Embassy Suites and they are all booked, as well as thier sister properties. They directed me to the Hilton Sunrise. Is this very far from the airport and pier?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Thanks for the reply Signman. We are flying into Fort Lauderdale Thursday, Feb 8th and need a room for one night as we are boarding the Constellation the next day for b2b cruises. I'm already counting days!!! We have always stayed at the Embassy Suites before so I wasn't sure where to go since they said they were booked. Seems awfully early. Is something going on down there next February?

Is something going on down there next February?

It's called Super Bowl weekend or a pain in the backside to anyone cruising early Feb '07.

Does anyone know anything about the Ramada Inn on Galt Ocean Dr. If so, could you please give me some info. I found they have some rooms available.

Thanks.

Micki, It's been a couple of years since I last stayed there. Rooms are typical Ramada, but it's on the beach and area is just fine. See more comments here.....http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=271291&highlight=galt+ocean+mile

As best I can determine, Super Bowl is scheduled for Feb. 4th, so my guess is the hotels are just being cautious right now and haven't really released their inventory.

I booked our hotel with Aeroplan points, so choices were limited. Unfortunately my first choice, the Airport Sheraton did not have availability for Feb 17, 2007.

So we are booked at the Westin. How bad will this be? How far from airport and cruise port? Any idea about how much cabs will cost? We may rent a car if the cabs are going to be spendy.

Also is there anything near this hotel? Don't care about the beach-we will see lots of those on our cruise. But US shopping is always a good thing for us Canucks.

Thanks!

If it's the Westin on Cypress Creek, you are about 20 minutes north of the port, 15 min from airport. You should rent a car at the Fort Lauderdale airport. Lots of restaurants in immediate vicinity of hotel, Steak & Ale, Longhorn Steakhouse, Hooters, Champps, Sweet Tomatoes, Moonlite Diner, Bennigans, Chilis, as well as fast food. With a car you can visit any mall you like. You could spend hours at giant Sawgrass Mills.

If it's the Westin on Cypress Creek, you are about 20 minutes north of the port, 15 min from airport. You should rent a car at the Fort Lauderdale airport. Lots of restaurants in immediate vicinity of hotel, Steak & Ale, Longhorn Steakhouse, Hooters, Champps, Sweet Tomatoes, Moonlite Diner, Bennigans, Chilis, as well as fast food. With a car you can visit any mall you like. You could spend hours at giant Sawgrass Mills.

Thanks so much!!

Next question-can I drop said car off at the port?

Mom, No you would have to return the car to the Airport Rental facility. Then I believe the rental company will shuttle you to the Port. I recommend dropping your luggage and all in your party at the pier before returning the car and catching the shuttle back to the pier. Just be sure the driver is carrying all necessary documentation for check in with the cruise line.

There may be some rental car operations that have a port area drop off, but I don't know which ones. I suggest you start a new thread for that question.

But the best place for correct information is direct with the rental car company.

Mom, No you would have to return the car to the Airport Rental facility. Then I believe the rental company will shuttle you to the Port. I recommend dropping your luggage and all in your party at the pier before returning the car and catching the shuttle back to the pier. Just be sure the driver is carrying all necessary documentation for check in with the cruise line.

There may be some rental car operations that have a port area drop off, but I don't know which ones. I suggest you start a new thread for that question.

But the best place for correct information is direct with the rental car company.

Cool. Dropping the car at the airport will be fine. Just need to allow time is all.

I'll look into it with the car rental companies. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your input. I think this thread was far more valuable then the countless webpages I've scanned and that tripadvisor review site. I think TrentS and Signman have a fairly good handling of the Fort Lauderdale scene which helped me decide just what I really wanted out of a stay and where I should be while waiting for my Dec 2/06 cruise.

Next question-can I drop said car off at the port?

There are no car rental facilities at the port for drop off. Thrifty has one just outside of the port, Budget on 17th Street. The remainder are at the airport.

For pre- and post-cruise tie-ins, we have booked the two hotels below. Are they safe and clean (for two ladies)?

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Weston

2000 N Commerce Parkway

AmeriSuites

1851 SE Tenth Avenue

We will be in our own vehicle.

Thanks for any information anyone can give us.

For pre- and post-cruise tie-ins, we have booked the two hotels below. Are they safe and clean (for two ladies)?

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Weston

2000 N Commerce Parkway

AmeriSuites

1851 SE Tenth Avenue

We will be in our own vehicle.

Thanks for any information anyone can give us.

The Courtyard in Weston is a nice propery in a very safe, secure neighborhood, 20 minutes from the port. Let me know if you need any nearby restaurant recomendations.

Ther Amerisuites on 17th Street has it's following. The area is geared for the cruise traveler, tourist and people attending the nearby convention center. Shppes, restaurants anything you need is nearby.

Archived