Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

I have reservations at Amerisuites on 10th and Holiday Inn Ex on 17th for one night pre-cruise. I like these locations, but can't decide which one to choose. Price for Am is $69 and for HI is $129. Is HI worth the few extra $?

Springhill Suites in Ft. Lauderdale has changed into Sterling Suites, reviews over at Tripadvisor.com are almost 100% VERY negative, we stayed there 4 or 5 years ago, it was borderline then, now it seems that it has hit rock bottom. I guess that why Marriott pulled their name off that hotel.

We're looking for something near the port. I've checked with Harbor Beach Marriott, and they're completely booked (this is for next Feb., and I do find this hard to believe). I also checked with Lago Mar, and they have a four-night minimum during that time (Super Bowl), which won't work for us. We only need two nights.

We are looking for something nice, since it's my 50th birthday, but at this point, I'd settle for something clean and safe, and fairly close to the port.

Edited to add...I just found Trent's post with the long listing of hotels. I'll start there. If anyone has anything else to add, I'd aprreciate all the help I could get. :)

Lordy, I've just figured out why I haven't been able to book a room...it's Super Bowl weekend in Miami and everything is booked in FLL!!!!!

I did get the last room at a Holiday Inn located in Plantation. Please tell me I won't need a gun or a bodyguard at this location! :)

I'll bet we won't be able to rent a car...yikes.

I did get the last room at a Holiday Inn located in Plantation. Please tell me I won't need a gun or a bodyguard at this location! :)

It's a perfectly safe location across the street from a major Motorola research facility. Plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby. Less then 20 minutes from the port. Good find. ;)

It's a perfectly safe location across the street from a major Motorola research facility. Plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby. Less then 20 minutes from the port. Good find. ;)

Thank you so much for this information. I have a feeling that all the hotels are not really booked, but rather they are "holding" rooms. I think we'll keep this one after reading your post. I did call our TA and left a message to see if HAL can get us closer to the port, but if not, I am not going to worry about it all. We did get a car, so driving there shouldn't be a problem.

I hate to sound like a chicken, but the older I get, the more afraid I am of places that I am not familiar with. :)

I don't think you'll have any trouble renting a car. You should be able to get a good price if you book far in advance. Prices will rise as inventory gets depleted.

And we didn't have a problem finding a car. However, after calling more than twenty hotels, and finding that they were all booked, I did begin to panic a bit. I should have done the car first, then I wouldn't have been worried at all. With a car, we can go about anywhere. :)

Thank you so much for this information. I have a feeling that all the hotels are not really booked, but rather they are "holding" rooms. I think we'll keep this one after reading your post. I did call our TA and left a message to see if HAL can get us closer to the port, but if not, I am not going to worry about it all. We did get a car, so driving there shouldn't be a problem.

I hate to sound like a chicken, but the older I get, the more afraid I am of places that I am not familiar with. :)

Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are definitly not sold out for the Super Bowl yet, trust me. I work in the hotel industry for a company that controls a large number of rooms in S. Fla and I can guarantee that not everyone is sold out. There is no reason to try and sell rooms for one or two nights this far in advance, when there are many companies, corporate sponsors, vendors, etc. that are looking for rooms for Super Bowl for multiple nights and are willing to pay top $$$ for them. If you are cruising during this time, my advice would be book a room at a hotel that you would be willing to stay at even if it is not in the location that you really want to stay so you know you at least have a room. Then, just keep checking availability at your preferred hotels as you get closer to your departure dates to see what opens up. Hope this helps.

Tarheels, that's good advice. We sail the week before the Super Bowl and I keep hitting Sold Out on all my top choices. So, I grabbed the Ramada airport/cruise port for $139. I know it doesn't sound great, but our TA who lives in Davie says it's pretty decent. If I can find something better I sure will. Stayed at Marina Marriott last time and loved it, but it's a little pricey now.

Best advice is, when you book a hotel, make sure you can cancel if need be. Would hate to be locked in at a dump and no way to change it!

So, I grabbed the Ramada airport/cruise port for $139.

Bail out of there ASAP, it is not nice, it is in an undesirable neighborhood. It's on a heavily traveled truck route thats active 24/7.Most rooms on SR84 rent by the hour not by the day. Search the boards you'll read similar comments from fellow cruisers. You can do better.

Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are definitly not sold out for the Super Bowl yet, trust me. I work in the hotel industry for a company that controls a large number of rooms in S. Fla and I can guarantee that not everyone is sold out. There is no reason to try and sell rooms for one or two nights this far in advance, when there are many companies, corporate sponsors, vendors, etc. that are looking for rooms for Super Bowl for multiple nights and are willing to pay top $$$ for them. If you are cruising during this time, my advice would be book a room at a hotel that you would be willing to stay at even if it is not in the location that you really want to stay so you know you at least have a room. Then, just keep checking availability at your preferred hotels as you get closer to your departure dates to see what opens up. Hope this helps.

You know, that's exactly what my hubby said (he suspected that's what they were up to). I do appreciate your help and advice. I have a room in Plantation, which I will keep at least until we get closer to our cruise date. I talked with our TA today, and she talked with the cruise line and they will have a room for us (for two nights). It's a fair price, and it's right near the port, so I'll see what they offer me once they have everything firmed up. I do know what you mean about getting the most for the rooms...by the time I had talked with about the 20th hotel, I was willing to pay whatever they wanted for the room for two nights!

My biggest problem is that I've booked a cruise over Super Bowl weekend. I sure hope the game will be on TV somewhere on the ship! I don't watch football, so it never occurred to me that this might be a conflict, but I know my hubby would like to watch.

Bail out of there ASAP, it is not nice, it is in an undesirable neighborhood. It's on a heavily traveled truck route thats active 24/7.Most rooms on SR84 rent by the hour not by the day. Search the boards you'll read similar comments from fellow cruisers. You can do better.

This is what I just love about this place...the information. I would have had no clue and thanks to someone who lives there, we can get all the inside info, from the bad areas of town, to the post from NCTarheelsCruiser to me concerning the "sold out" status of all the rooms. I can't say thank you enough to all the locals and those that have been there that have come along and helped me!! :)

I just booked the Renaissance on Priceline for $100, I might have got it cheaper but I didn't feel like dealing with it. I'm happy anyway because on other sites it's $349 a night.

Anyway the real reason I responded to this post was to say..."TrentS you are awesome. It is way above and beyond the call for you to post this incredible information.

May all the good you put into this be returned to you through the kindness of those you meet on your way. :)

Hi katie, after doing some research since i too am staying in fll and cruising out of miami.

http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm#Today's%20Super%20Value%20rates ameri suites hotel $80.00 per night,

http://www.hudsonltd2.com/cgi-bin/fla1/res limo service to port of miami $80.00 for up to 4 people, $145.00 for up to 8 people.

so you might check your ship boards to see if you can find people on your cruise and split a van ride.. hope this helps bud

Location is off Cypress Creek about 15 minutes north of airport on 95. Lots of dining options nearby. Area is just fine. A Hampton Inn is a Hampton Inn just about anywhere you stay. Wouldn't you expect high prices in Florida during the Christmas New Years Orange Bowl holiday period?

First of all I want to say thanks for posting all links to the hotels on 17th st. The location sounds great for a pre-cruise stay.:)

I was wondering if anyone knew of any hidden charges like "resort fees" and "parking" for the 3 budget hotels:

Holiday inn Express

Extended Stay

Amerisuites

Seeing that the Amerisuites is the cheapest, is the price shown with Valuetrips.com the actual price or do they come back with the actual price and extra booking fees? Are they reliable to book through?

Is the Amerisuites clean and well kept and in a good location:confused:

Archived