Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

We are sailing in October on the Liberty and I just booked two different rooms, one of them at the AmeriSuites and one at the Extended Stay. Can someone please let me know if they have any information on these two hotels?

I have read all the posts and don't recall any bad reviews.

Thanks

Pam

We were in Ft Lauderdale in Dec pre-cruise and post-cruise and did alot of walking and riding around exploring the area. We stayed at AmeriSuites and for the money would stay there again. It is not the most beautiful hotel and is very busy but it is convenient and pretty clean.

We would love to try staying at the Grande because of the location right on the waterway and very close to the pier. There is alot of renovation going on and it still looked like the tower will be under construction for quite some time. Windows were boarded and the whole tower looked to be in major construction mode. That said, the villas on the waterway would be wonderful. You are right on the water and can just hop on the water bus and go up and down the water front. What more can you ask for?

The Renaissance would be a great location too. This is across the street from the Grande and across the street from a large strip mall and good places to eat all around. Another good think about this area is the fact that you can catch the Trolly and ride it all over town. It picks up across from AmeriSuites and will take you up and down the beach area and Las Olas. If you get tired of it, you can get off and catch the water bus. I love Ft Lauderdale!!!!

Great thread! Just wanted to update all on something we just found out. We've been told by the hotel that the Embassy Suites on SE 17th longer provides a shuttle from FLL airport to their hotel. We're disappointed about this as we stayed at this hotel the night before our cruise in Jan 06 and the shuttle from FLL was a nice service.

We're staying Saturday night, 1/27/07, and now I need to find a way to get eight adults (half senior citizens that are not experienced travelers) from FLL to the hotel. Seven of us are flying in on Delta; one on USAir. From what I can tell, these airlines are in separate terminals.

From this thread, I picked up two suggestions of services (Quality Limo) and floridalimo.com. I'll be checking these out, but am wondering if any of the experts here have any suggestions.

We won't need a transfer from the hotel to the port as it's being provided by Costa as part of our room reservation.

We will, however, need a transfer from this port to FLL on 2/4 -- yes, Super Bowl Sunday. Costa offers it for $15/pp, which I just might book for all.

All suggestions and insights welcome! :D

i too had the same idea as you. Here is how my plan is supposed to work out. On 2/18 I fly to Fort Lauderdale where i will get a free shuttle to the Ramada Inn airport/ cruiseport. Katie

Avoid this property like the plague. We stayed there last April, and will never go back. Our experience began with a nearly hour long wait for a shuttle with no air conditioning and a driver who threw our luggage over the bags at the back of the trailer all the way to the front, breaking something in the process. Our experience went downhill from there...

Dan & Judy

Great thread! Just wanted to update all on something we just found out. We've been told by the hotel that the Embassy Suites on SE 17th longer provides a shuttle from FLL airport to their hotel. We're disappointed about this as we stayed at this hotel the night before our cruise in Jan 06 and the shuttle from FLL was a nice service.

We're staying Saturday night, 1/27/07, and now I need to find a way to get eight adults (half senior citizens that are not experienced travelers) from FLL to the hotel. Seven of us are flying in on Delta; one on USAir. From what I can tell, these airlines are in separate terminals.

From this thread, I picked up two suggestions of services (Quality Limo) and floridalimo.com. I'll be checking these out, but am wondering if any of the experts here have any suggestions.

We won't need a transfer from the hotel to the port as it's being provided by Costa as part of our room reservation.

We will, however, need a transfer from this port to FLL on 2/4 -- yes, Super Bowl Sunday. Costa offers it for $15/pp, which I just might book for all.

All suggestions and insights welcome! :D

NancyJewel92, we're in the same boat (different ship though) as you are. Coming back in on Super Bowl Sunday is probably going to be nuts. I just checked, and there are seven ships in FLL on 2/4, with everyone trying to get to the airport!:eek: I hadn't booked transfers for the return trip, but I definitely think I will do that too. A taxi might be close to impossible to find. A happy cruise and good luck to us both!:D

Just wondering if Renaissance FLL provide any shuttle services to and from the Airport or the port? Thanks!!

They do not!! Airport is about $15 with tip - Port is $10 minimum with the meter showing $5 - so the $10 includes tip (as far as I am concerned)

Ron

Someone had asked in an earlier thread about which location to use on Priceline if wanting a hotel in the 17th St. area, but I don't see that it was ever answered. We'll need a hotel in that area for April 16th and 17th, and were looking at either the Embassy Suites or Pier 66. I was thinking it was considered "beach area", however, after reading some of the other threads, it may be more "downtown"? I want to make sure I get this correct, since this will be my first time using PL. Also, if you win your bid, do they give you a choice of hotels for that winning bid, or do they just tell you where you'll be staying?

Thanks!

Someone had asked in an earlier thread about which location to use on Priceline if wanting a hotel in the 17th St. area, but I don't see that it was ever answered. We'll need a hotel in that area for April 16th and 17th, and were looking at either the Embassy Suites or Pier 66. I was thinking it was considered "beach area", however, after reading some of the other threads, it may be more "downtown"? I want to make sure I get this correct, since this will be my first time using PL. Also, if you win your bid, do they give you a choice of hotels for that winning bid, or do they just tell you where you'll be staying?

Thanks![/quot

downtown is the correct location to use to be near the port area in fll and they tell you which hotel

Scroll back to some posts I made about this place in early June 06.

A very good seafood restaurant not too far is Rustic Inn. http://www.rusticinn.com

From your posts - it sounds as if the property would be ok for one night - but I didn't realize it was near the bad area (SR 84). Car going to be safe parked there???? There are other properties I can choose using his points - would you recommend booking something else if the option is there?

Thanks so much for the heads up. My Dad used to LOVE the Rustic Inn - if it's the same place - (crabhouse - right - Garlic Crabs?? - been around forever) I - Grew up in Miami - until mid 70's - so it may be the same one he loved....yep - just pulled up the site - that's great - will have to take DH there

Rustic Inn if famous for it's Garlic Crabs.

I think you will be fine for one night. Hotel is convenient to airport and pier, looks nice from the outside. Maybe the brand new Candlewood Suites next door is now open.

Thanks!

If you want to stay at the Renaissance utilizing Priceline then bid 4* downtown. If you want to stay at the Hyatt Pier 66 then bid 4* beach zone. These are the only 4* PL hotels in these zones. The "resort" hotel on PL that is somewhat difficult to win is the Harbor Beach Marriott. ;)

Rustic Inn if famous for it's Garlic Crabs.

I think you will be fine for one night. Hotel is convenient to airport and pier, looks nice from the outside. Maybe the brand new Candlewood Suites next door is now open.

I concur but at night take a cab to wherever you want to go, do not walk the area. The Candlewood opens in February. ;)

/////

I concur but at night take a cab to wherever you want to go, do not walk the area. The Candlewood opens in February. ;)

/////

If we do stay at this property (HI Express - SR 84 - Port/Airport) will our car be okay overnight? Also - how far to the "water Taxi"? The water taxi sounds like fun - and a great way to show DH some FFL......used to spend alot of there in the 60's and early 70's.....but haven't been back in years except to jump on a ship - we'll have some time to explore this time. My favorite restrauant growing up was the old Patricia Murphys - and the revolving bar at Pier 66 - but I understand PM's has been gone for years and the revolving bar no longer open to the public.....any other places to be sure and show DH? We used to love to go out to Port Everglades - back when you could just go in there - and see the manatee's - don't think you can do that anymore either.

Thanks to everyone, especially Bequia, who helped with info on bidding on PL. Unfortunately, PL would not accept my offer for a 4* in either the downtown or beach zone, and wouldn't even accept it for a 3*. So, having totally bombed with PL, we went over to Hotwire, and selected a 3* for $100 and got the Sheraton Yankee Clipper. Hopefully, we didn't make a mistake, but it appeared that PL didn't have anything for those dates, as they didn't even counter offer! It appears that the Sheraton is in a good location, just not the 17th Street area that we wanted, but still better than Ireland's that we booked several years ago. Since I booked 3 rooms (one for us and one each for the 2 other couples travelling with us), my reputation is at stake!

Thanks again!

..... my reputation is at stake! Thanks again!

You'll be fine for the night, although the reviews are mixed it's not a bad property at all. You can still get over to your favorite shops and restaurants on SE 17th Street on the cheap utilizing the Sun Trolley. You can pick it up in front of your hotel.

http://www.suntrolley.com/bus_route-maps/convention.html

///////

Thanks to everyone, especially Bequia, who helped with info on bidding on PL. Unfortunately, PL would not accept my offer for a 4* in either the downtown or beach zone, and wouldn't even accept it for a 3*. So, having totally bombed with PL, we went over to Hotwire, and selected a 3* for $100 and got the Sheraton Yankee Clipper. Hopefully, we didn't make a mistake, but it appeared that PL didn't have anything for those dates, as they didn't even counter offer! It appears that the Sheraton is in a good location, just not the 17th Street area that we wanted, but still better than Ireland's that we booked several years ago. Since I booked 3 rooms (one for us and one each for the 2 other couples travelling with us), my reputation is at stake!

Thanks again!

Hi, I stayed at the Yankee Clipper on 12/16. I got it on priceline

for a total of 100.00.

Room was clean, bed comfortable, bathroom clean too. I would stay there again.

It is right on the beach.

I can recommend an excellent person if you want a car....

Was very good service and for 3 couples it shouldn't cost you

too much.

He has his own company and the hotel recommended him.

I was there with a friend and this guy was excellent.....drove us

to a good restaurant..picked us up...took us to Las Olas....was

fabulous!:) He had a Suburban. He also took 2 friends and I to the

Pier the next morning. For the 3 of us it was only 20 bucks.:)

Let me know if you would like his name and #.

Nicer than a cab a much more room:D Sort of like your own

private driver!!!

Archived