Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

Will be leaving in a few days to board Zuiderdam/eastern carib.

We fly from NY-FLL early Saturday -so we do not need a hotel on the first day.

But on the return we probably will get off ship at about 10am and our flight is not until 7pm.

We have booked Courtyard by marriott air/cruiseport- using points.

We also booked Clarion ft lauderdale by the sea (on the beach)- just in case we want to have a beach.

Any comments on these 2 propeties would be appreciated since I must cancel one soon

Thanks

We will be cruising January 2007 and looking for an economical pre-cruise hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. Has anyone stayed at the Sleep Inn on SE 5th Ave. in Dania? They have free shuttle from airport and to the ship. Are they in a good neighborhood and convenient to the airport and port? Thanks for any info.

We are staying one night 1/20/07 prior to cruise, using Marriott points. Are there any places nearby to purchase liquor and snack items (we will be cabbing from airport to hotel) Also, how far from hotel to pier. Thx

You'll pass by all of the shopping on SE 17th on your way to the hotel. Big new Publix and Total Spirits in Cordova Road S/C will have anything you could possibly need. Less than 10 minutes to Pier from Hotel. Not even one mile to Port entrance.

Hi TrentS

We just booked the Marriott's Beachplace Towers on Ft Lauderdale Beach Blvd for 2 nights before we sail in October. Safe place to stay and convenient to everything? Thanks. It's always helpful to have someone familiar with the area direct you.

Jean

Signman,

Thank you. I appreciate that. Hopefully your lack of embellishing on that one word answer does not mean you have any negative comments on the Marriott.:)

We're so looking forward to our trip in October. We were supposed to go on a cruise last October, but due to a medical emergency, we had to cancel. So this is a much needed vacation. I would hate to start the vacation with a crappy choice of hotel. There are 11 of us going and we have booked 2 suites at this resort. Any recommendations on restaurants in the area?

Thanks again for all the input. It is most appreciated.

Jean

Jean, I really don't know anything about that particular Marriott, other than it's a timeshare property. The location is terrific, right across from the beautiful beach, the area won't be overrun by Spring Breakers while you're there, you're no more than 3 miles from the Port, and you are just a quick cab ride to all that Las Olas Blvd offers. There are plenty of dining options right there, but the only place I know specifically is Shula's Steakhouse just a couple of blocks away.

You don't really need a car OR a shuttle if you stay at one of these hotels. Just grab a cab, it's MUCH quicker and easier! They're all less than 10 minutes from FLL, just outside the entrance to Port Everglades and are surrounded by dozens of restaurants, shops, grocery, drug & liquor stores as well as the very popular Water Taxi all within safe, easy walking distance.

TrentS, thank so much for the list of hotels and restaurants.

We'll be embarking at Port Everglades on Sunday, November 26 and we're planning to drive to Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday the 25th and spend the day and night enjoying the area. #1 on the list of priorities of places to hit is Las Olas.

As far as a hotel, we would like one that will let us keep our car in their lot for the week (preferrably for free) and provides shuttle service to/from the pier. Any recommendations?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Great thread with lots of good advice on hotels. We are sailing from Port Everglades on 4/28/06 & will stay overnite on the 4/27. We will fly in late afternoon on 4/27, so only want a place to sleep, but as everyone else, we want safe & clean.

Sooo, found a bargain at Sleep Inn & Suites at Ft. Lauderdale Int'l Airport. Is this hotel safe & clean? Any other issues I should consider regarding this hotel?

Is there any place to eat around there (we will not have a car)? Tripadvisor review said it was across from a strip mall with a good Italian restaurant - is that true?

Thanks in advance.

Am also interested in the Sleep Inn & Suites at the FLL Airport. We're staying there on May 17. Would appreciate knowing what you think of it after you return - twoatsea. Like you, we're flying in late so only need a nice place to sleep. I'm traveling with my daughter so want to make sure the area is safe.

Am also interested in the Sleep Inn & Suites at the FLL Airport. We're staying there on May 17. Would appreciate knowing what you think of it after you return - twoatsea. Like you, we're flying in late so only need a nice place to sleep. I'm traveling with my daughter so want to make sure the area is safe.

I am also going May 17th for the EOS, and am still looking for hotels, how did you choose ?

I am also going May 17th for the EOS, and am still looking for hotels, how did you choose ?

I had a very difficult time choosing. I tried to read a lot of the reviews and narrowed it down to a couple of places. We are not arriving until late in the afternoon so just wanted a nice place to stay. I wasn't looking for a lot of things to do or special places to eat. I thought maybe staying away from the pier area would mean it might be easier to get on the shuttle the next morning. I had read that you normally need to sign up for the shuttle when you arrive at your hotel so figured I'd have a lot of people before me if I stayed in one of the more popular places. I had also read some good reviews on tripadvisor.com for the Sleep Inn so put my faith in those. Also, the price was right for me.

I had a very difficult time choosing. I tried to read a lot of the reviews and narrowed it down to a couple of places. We are not arriving until late in the afternoon so just wanted a nice place to stay. I wasn't looking for a lot of things to do or special places to eat. I thought maybe staying away from the pier area would mean it might be easier to get on the shuttle the next morning. I had read that you normally need to sign up for the shuttle when you arrive at your hotel so figured I'd have a lot of people before me if I stayed in one of the more popular places. I had also read some good reviews on tripadvisor.com for the Sleep Inn so put my faith in those. Also, the price was right for me.

I am not arriving till very late the night before, yet I wanted to be by the pier, and in the nix....I read through all the reviews for FLL and it was very helpful, and then I rolled the dice and went to Priceline and got Pier 66, they will shuttle from the airport....but no shuttle to the pier. But I planned some sun and pool time there, and stroll on the boat about 2 or 3, so I'll just taxi...it's all sounding SO wonderful.

we are booked @ courtyard fort lauderdale east, 5001 n. federal highway.

is this a good location? we are not renting a car, we are going to shuttle to miami so we would also like to know what resturants are close by this hotel?:confused:

thanks

I think you are at a major intersection with Commercial Blvd. I think you will have many shopping and dining choices within an easy walk. For a good hamburger go south on Federal just a few blocks to Jack's Old Fashioned Hamburgers.

• 4 weeks later...

We recently stayed at Sleep Inn and Suites in Ft. Lauderdale and were pleasantly surprised. They have a free shuttle to/from the airport and cruiseport. They also had a breakfast available, not just continental, but an actual hot breakfast. I would recommend this hotel for pre/post cruise.

You heard right, there's a Publix supermarket in the shopping center next to the hotel. There's an italian restaurant as well as a chinese restaurant in the same shopping plaza. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Are you able to purchase wine in the Publix and if not is there a store to purchase wine within walking distance?....Just booked this hotel (if it's the one on/in Dania) for November!...Thanks

The Publix has a decent wine selection, if you can't find what you want there's a newer Publix 1/2 a mile north of the Sleep Inn (on Dania Beach Blvd) that has double the wine selection of the one close to the Sleep Inn. There's a package store where hard liquor can be purchased by the Sleep Inn as well. ;)

Archived