Reduced Mobility Passenger

LondonTowner

I booked my cruise for October last November. I’m a wheelchair user (I have a power chair) and need an accessible cabin. At the time of booking the only available accessible cabin was a sky suite, double my budget. I booked an inside cabin on the advice of celebrity in the hope that something would come up, but despite dozens and dozens of phone calls nothing has. I’ve now upgraded to a C2 cabin so at least I’ve got a view!

I also asked if it was possible to be put on a waitlist for an accessible cabin and be notified if one came up, I made it clear I would take anything apart from the suite which my budget won’t run to. I was told that to be waitlisted for an accessible cabin I already had to be in an accessible cabin :o this makes no sense to me at all!

My husband will have to help me into the cabin and then go back out fold the chair and bring it in. Just as well I’m 5ft and he’s 6ft 4 and very strong! This is an important holiday with my ten year old granddaughter, the only cruise that fit in her school holidays and I don’t want to miss it so I’ll manage somehow.

I really hope all the accessible cabins are taken by those who really need them :(

HelenREMfan

How large is your scooter or make? Mine is max 21” at its widest point. I read that all staterooms are a minimum of 23”. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have used the same scooter before and it is 23" - it is very tight as in difficult to move in and out of the cabin door (the door is on an angle) I know my husband struggles last year and this time I am travelling with my daughter. It is possible to do.... backing it out is much more awkward than pushing it in.... I don't think it will do a turning circle in the room so it is forwards in and backwards out.

Have used the same scooter before and it is 23" - it is very tight as in difficult to move in and out of the cabin door (the door is on an angle) I know my husband struggles last year and this time I am travelling with my daughter. It is possible to do.... backing it out is much more awkward than pushing it in.... I don't think it will do a turning circle in the room so it is forwards in and backwards out.

Thanks for the information.

The powerchair I have rented this time has a seat that turns through 180 degrees, so the theory is that I will drive into a space/lift etc, turn the seat round and drive out. How well that works will depend on how easy the seat is to turn round in practice!

Dear OP

I am presently on a cruise on Silhouette in Ireland/Iceland. I hired a mobility scooter for my MiL for use on our holiday from a Celebrity accredited partner. We have 2 tender stops and the Celebrity position on this cruise is that scooters cannot be taken onto any tender. Passengers with mobility issues must be able to make the 10 steps down to the tender. If the passenger is a must use a wheelchair or scooter they will not be allowed onto the tender and must remain on board. Fortunately my MiL is able to use her walker and is permitted to take it onto the tender. I would guess that the Celebrity position may be different on another cruise but they are being very strict on this one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Dear OP

I am presently on a cruise on Silhouette in Ireland/Iceland. I hired a mobility scooter for my MiL for use on our holiday from a Celebrity accredited partner. We have 2 tender stops and the Celebrity position on this cruise is that scooters cannot be taken onto any tender. Passengers with mobility issues must be able to make the 10 steps down to the tender. If the passenger is a must use a wheelchair or scooter they will not be allowed onto the tender and must remain on board. Fortunately my MiL is able to use her walker and is permitted to take it onto the tender. I would guess that the Celebrity position may be different on another cruise but they are being very strict on this one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your reply. We have managed to book an accessible cabin on the Constellation. The one port which has a tender is Kotor. Not too bothered if I can’t get off as we spent a land holiday there a few years ago. Mind you I can easily walk up or down 10 steps, will play it by ear.