Scenic Low-Water-Level Schedule Changes/Cancellations

candf

Just like to give a heads up given our experience with Scenic earlier this month.

1. In my opinion there is probably no incentive for Scenic to cancel any cruises before embarkation because they would need to offer a refund. Once you've embarked the River Cruising Guarantee kicks in and so Scenic's only obligation is to provide a letter stating how many days you are eligible to claim under this insurance scheme.

2. In our case, once the boat could go no further, we were given 2 hours notice to decide if we were going to leave the cruise, stay on the moored boat for 4 nights and then transfer to another boat downstream somewhere, or the default option was to take buses and hotels. We were told the first night would be Nuremburg but were given no further information.

3. Those who elected to leave the cruise were taken to the nearest airport and flown home. This obviosly did not work for those with end of cruise plans. It was the option we would have preferred (second to outright notification at the start with a refund and option to rebook).

4. Those who stayed on the stationary boat were told they would get meals but no excursions. In fact the 6 couples got Portabellos and got the Degustation meal everyone else missed out on. They also got to use the e-bikes but after 4 nights had an 8 hour coach ride to join the rest of us.

5. Those who continued on coach and hotel had lengthy coach tours each day. We were fed. At lunch there was a set meal (usually potato salad and a meat, but on the 4th day we got mac and cheese). The hotels were big named hotels but the cheapest rooms. Felt for those who had booked suites on the boat and ended up in rooms where they had to pull the double bed out from the wall to get in. Before we left the boat, as a group we tried to ascertain what happens to the all inclusive on land. We were told they were working on it. We received one drink at lunch and at the first hotel were told that if we had anything from the mini-bar or bar it was at our own expense. If you didn't join the daily excursion lunch was at your own expense as well.

6. Under the River Cruising Guarantee we have been offered 1 day of interruption. Some people in other countries on our tour have received 5 days interruption.

The thing that stopped us from leaving the tour was being told that we would be flown home from Munich whereas we needed to get to the destination port. We wanted to use our return flights as they were but we were told by the cruise director that if we left and travelled under our own steam we would receive nothing from Scenic. We understood that to mean the River Cruising Guarantee as well. We are still attempting to clarify with Scenic if we were given the correct information.

We understand the tours with 2 nights off the boat have gone well. For whatever reason, there was no boat available for us to move to.

My only purpose for revealing all of this detail is so that people can insist on the answers we didn't get and be fully informed. We did want to see it as an adventure but I don't think anyone had the stamina for that at the end of the first day on a hot crowded bus when we were all a bit dehydrated.

Don't let this turn you off Scenic - many people have had good experiences. We just didnt.

TashiChino,

I would appreciate clarification regarding the Scenic guarantee as I'm going next week. The guarantee says if they are unable to sail and they can't deliver on the excursions except by way of coach rides 3 hours each way or if they transfer you but your itinerary is delayed by more than 24 hours you are compensated. I am not sure I understand why you only received one day of guarantee? Thank you!

TashiChino,

I would appreciate clarification regarding the Scenic guarantee as I'm going next week. The guarantee says if they are unable to sail and they can't deliver on the excursions except by way of coach rides 3 hours each way or if they transfer you but your itinerary is delayed by more than 24 hours you are compensated. I am not sure I understand why you only received one day of guarantee? Thank you!

We are still waiting for an explanation from Scenic as well. If we receive one I'll post it. At this stage we haven't submitted the claim through Chubb as we are refusing to accept only one day.

So perhaps those that are more adept at reading the maps than I am can help me understand this. We are scheduled to leave Budapest on the Amber. If I am reading it right the Amber and the Pearl have been stationary just north of Vienna for three days. So perhaps they bus people from Budapest to Vienna? I don't understand why one of the ships wouldn't keep moving north?

It looks like Amber is “scheduled” to embark in Budapest tomorrow the 22nd. Looking at marinetraffic.com it appears that Budapest is still closed so I would guess that you will be bussed to Vienna to join the ship. I would be interested to know how Scenic handles your Budapest excursions. If they put you up at the Marriott at least it’s a nice hotel.

If I am reading the brochure correctly the Pearl is not due to start her next cruise until August 27 from Budapest so I guess she’s just waiting until then. Sitting around Vienna for a week probably means her schedule has been blown up by the low water.

I agree, the Pearl should be heading north to facilitate a ship swap with the Ruby. Maybe it’s cheaper to wait in Vienna than Passau or Vilshofen.

When we were on the Danube in August of 2015 Scenic did a pretty good job handling the low water without unduly upsetting passengers. This year they’re clearly not doing as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we were on the Danube in August of 2015 Scenic did a pretty good job handling the low water without unduly upsetting passengers. This year they’re clearly not doing as well.

This year there is a lot more to do, and everyone is scrambling at the same time.

Just like to give a heads up given our experience with Scenic earlier this month.

1. In my opinion there is probably no incentive for Scenic to cancel any cruises before embarkation because they would need to offer a refund. Once you've embarked the River Cruising Guarantee kicks in and so Scenic's only obligation is to provide a letter stating how many days you are eligible to claim under this insurance scheme.

2. In our case, once the boat could go no further, we were given 2 hours notice to decide if we were going to leave the cruise, stay on the moored boat for 4 nights and then transfer to another boat downstream somewhere, or the default option was to take buses and hotels. We were told the first night would be Nuremburg but were given no further information.

3. Those who elected to leave the cruise were taken to the nearest airport and flown home. This obviosly did not work for those with end of cruise plans. It was the option we would have preferred (second to outright notification at the start with a refund and option to rebook).

4. Those who stayed on the stationary boat were told they would get meals but no excursions. In fact the 6 couples got Portabellos and got the Degustation meal everyone else missed out on. They also got to use the e-bikes but after 4 nights had an 8 hour coach ride to join the rest of us.

5. Those who continued on coach and hotel had lengthy coach tours each day. We were fed. At lunch there was a set meal (usually potato salad and a meat, but on the 4th day we got mac and cheese). The hotels were big named hotels but the cheapest rooms. Felt for those who had booked suites on the boat and ended up in rooms where they had to pull the double bed out from the wall to get in. Before we left the boat, as a group we tried to ascertain what happens to the all inclusive on land. We were told they were working on it. We received one drink at lunch and at the first hotel were told that if we had anything from the mini-bar or bar it was at our own expense. If you didn't join the daily excursion lunch was at your own expense as well.

6. Under the River Cruising Guarantee we have been offered 1 day of interruption. Some people in other countries on our tour have received 5 days interruption.

The thing that stopped us from leaving the tour was being told that we would be flown home from Munich whereas we needed to get to the destination port. We wanted to use our return flights as they were but we were told by the cruise director that if we left and travelled under our own steam we would receive nothing from Scenic. We understood that to mean the River Cruising Guarantee as well. We are still attempting to clarify with Scenic if we were given the correct information.

We understand the tours with 2 nights off the boat have gone well. For whatever reason, there was no boat available for us to move to.

My only purpose for revealing all of this detail is so that people can insist on the answers we didn't get and be fully informed. We did want to see it as an adventure but I don't think anyone had the stamina for that at the end of the first day on a hot crowded bus when we were all a bit dehydrated.

Don't let this turn you off Scenic - many people have had good experiences. We just didnt.

From my perspective the worst part of your entire experience was "we were told by the cruise director that if we left and travelled under our own steam we would receive nothing from Scenic".

I cannot imagine a cruise line not willing to give you a refund for the unused days and then just allow you to do your own thing at own expense. After all they were refunding those days for the people being taken to Munich and then being flown home.

I may have to eat my words. I just took another look at the Scenic Cruise Map, and it appears that the Scenic Jade is in the process of making the transit. She was at Bamberg yesterday morning, cruised to Nuremberg overnight and spent the morning there today, and is now moving towards Regensburg. Let's hope she makes it, and that this is a good sign for other boats!

It appears my hope was a little premature. The Jade did in fact get to Regensburg, but that appears to be the end of the line, since she's still sitting there. Which is consistent with Notamermaid's post in another thread that one of the problematic areas is between Regensburg and Vilshofen/Passau. Similarly, the Crystal arrived in Passau yesterday and is still there. Perhaps they're doing a ship swap. between the Jade and Crystal, with no loss of ports or need for hotels. Of course, there's also still the problem of Budapest apparently being closed to traffic, so the cruises appear to end in Vienna. But even so--that would be a whole lot better than TashiChino's experience of multiple days on buses and hotels. Of course, this is all surmise on my part, since Scenic isn't releasing any info, and I don't think we've heard from anybody on the ground/river who has been affected other than TashiChino.

If I am reading it right the Amber and the Pearl have been stationary just north of Vienna for three days. So perhaps they bus people from Budapest to Vienna? I don't understand why one of the ships wouldn't keep moving north?

My guess is that they're trying to stick to schedules as much as possible, and just combining the days that are supposed to be spent in Budapest and Vienna, and having them all in Vienna. That would mean four nights spent in Vienna, I believe (with the cruise from the north coming down, having a scheduled overnight in Vienna, then staying there for the scheduled overnight in Budapest, then again for the scheduled turnaround day/night in Budapest for a new cruise heading north, then one final night for the scheduled Vienna overnight on the new cruise). Logically, they could either bus people to/from Budapest for tours, or offer alternative tours in Vienna. That's just a guess, of course, in the absence of actual information.

From my perspective the worst part of your entire experience was "we were told by the cruise director that if we left and travelled under our own steam we would receive nothing from Scenic".

I cannot imagine a cruise line not willing to give you a refund for the unused days and then just allow you to do your own thing at own expense. After all they were refunding those days for the people being taken to Munich and then being flown home.

RDC1 that, and that we were only being informed at 7pm the night before each change was invoked. For instance our first night in Nuremburg they could (would?) not tell us which town we would be staying in 2 nights later. That uncertainty certainly removed pleasure from the trip, as well as feeling as though a lot of information was being withheld from us. Hence our enquiries to leave at that point.

taxare: we have now been advised we are eligible for 5 days insurance through the River Cruising Guarantee x $300 pp due to 'guest feedback' on a cruise that cost over $800 pp per day.

RDC1 that, and that we were only being informed at 7pm the night before each change was invoked. For instance our first night in Nuremburg they could (would?) not tell us which town we would be staying in 2 nights later. That uncertainty certainly removed pleasure from the trip, as well as feeling as though a lot of information was being withheld from us. Hence our enquiries to leave at that point.

taxare: we have now been advised we are eligible for 5 days insurance through the River Cruising Guarantee x $300 pp due to 'guest feedback' on a cruise that cost over $800 pp per day.

That makes much more sense, thanks for the update. I guess I will find out next week where we stand and will post to this thread.

The cynic in me thinks that the entire reason for the no compensation if you leave, is so they can say that the passengers made their choice about what they wanted to do, and we compensated in line with the our stated policy. The way the deal was offered I doubt many if any would have made the decision to just leave. Bottom line makes it much harder for anyone to sue them. Considering that a well run land tour in that area would run about $200-300 per person per day, you have lost out considerably on the value equation.

The cynic in me thinks that the entire reason for the no compensation if you leave, is so they can say that the passengers made their choice about what they wanted to do, and we compensated in line with the our stated policy. The way the deal was offered I doubt many if any would have made the decision to just leave. Bottom line makes it much harder for anyone to sue them. Considering that a well run land tour in that area would run about $200-300 per person per day, you have lost out considerably on the value equation.

RDC1 we think alike.

Booked on Scenic’s Gems of the Danube on 23 August. Supposed to be on Amber.

Have been notified that we will embark on Jade in Nurenberg. Then will change to Pearl at Regensburg on 26 August. Due to finish at Budapest 30 August.

Hope that there are no further complications.

Edited by Megpat
more detail

At least they are now offering you five days insurance, which is a vast improvement on the original one day that you had.

It is still not good enough though, I wouldn't mind betting that there might be another class action coming for Scenic.

Just got off the phone with Scenic and unfortunately they couldn’t tell me anything except that our cruise is on watch. (We’re on Rhine Highlights Sept 3). When I pressed her for some answers she did say that one cruise was cancelled, but it was with their other cruise line Emerald.

Here is and updated blurb from the Scenic USA website, in case you haven’t seen it. She couldn’t even find anything on the Canadian website so told me to refer to the US website.

Danube River

The Danube River is currently experiencing low water levels. Guests will be contacted individually if deviations from the standard itinerary become necessary. The following cruises may be affected:

Gems of the Danube: August 30 and September 6, 2018

Jewels of Europe: August 27, 29; September 3, 2018

Rhine River

The Rhine River is currently experiencing low water levels. Guests will be contacted individually if deviations from the standard itinerary become necessary.

Rhine Highlights: August 27, 29; September 3, 5, 2018

Romantic Rhine and Moselle: September 5, 2018

"M and L, we are on the same cruise. I would appreciate if you could post to the new Scenic thread. I will be posting there if I hear anything. Hoping for the best!"

taxer - We're hoping for the best too! Spoke with someone in TAs office yesterday & she had been in touch with Scenic & they said our cruise was not yet impacted but as you can see from previous post it now shows it might be impacted (that was just updated because when I checked this morning didn't have any cruises listed).

I think they are hoping the predicted rain will help the situation & unfortunately will not make a decision to cancel or notify passengers until the last minute. I think their MO is to get the passengers there & then give them a bit of a salami job & then dole out information one day at a time so that you get sucked into their program & you have no/very little recourse.

So far from what I've seen on CC I'm unimpressed & disappointed with how Scenic have handled this situation. I understand Scenic can't do anything about the whether but for them to go ahead with these cruises when they know there is no rain predicted to alleviate the problem is wrong.

We are looking forward to enjoying a river cruise but not much interest in a bus/hotel tour. We leave home on Sat the 25th & arrive in Budapest on the 29th. Hopefully we'll have more information by then.

TashiChino - thanks for sharing your experience, I hope you can negotiate a better deal with Scenic. Maybe your TA can help.

BTW, I think their River Cruising Guarantee with them being allowed to bus you up to 3 hours for an excursion is crazy...6 hours a day on a bus...yikes!! not my idea of a relaxing river cruise.

I will update if/when I hear anything.

Posted this on another thread but is is worth repeating about our recent experience on Scenic Budapest to Amsterdam cruise.

"Well, we just got back. We spent an extra week in Belgium and Germany.

Long story short. We Left Budapest on the Amber as opposed to the Jasper becasue the Jasper could not make it to Budapest.. We had to change ships 3 times and had to take a ferry through the Rhine Gorge as none of the Scenic ships could get there.

Amber to Regensburg, then the Ruby to Rudeshiem then the Opal to Amsterdam (Oh and the Boppard Ferry down the Rhine Gorge in between. Imagine, a regular ferry for local folks and then another 160 people from a river cruise ship getting on.).

Nothing you can do about Mother Nature but it was too bad and the trip was, in my opinion, spoiled by lots of bus rides and transfers and packing, unpacking and re-packing.

From the sounds of it, Scenic did a lot of bus transfers for a lot of ships and customers. Some even ha to stay in hotels for part of their trip. To be fair, Scenic was not alone in having difficulty getting up and down rives. All other cruise lines had the same problem with the longer cruises. The shorter ones may not have been affected. We met people in the hotel in Amsterdam that had their cruises cancelled. They found out when they checked in.

A pretty big disappointment over all."

To add to that, we got an email to submit a claim with Chubb, the Scenic River Cruise Guarantee insurer. "We here at Scenic Luxury Cruises certainly apologize for the significant disruption experienced during your recent Jewells of Europe cruise, which was brought about by unusually low water levels.

Attached, please find our River Cruise Guarantee, which outlines the appropriate compensation for this disruption, as well as detailed instructions on how to file the claim.

"

I tried using the website but it would not accept information as we are not Australian. I called the American Scenic office and they told me to just email Chubb with the form that was attached with the their email. The compensation was to be $250 Canadian per person......but not for how many days. We will see.

Booked on Scenic’s Gems of the Danube on 23 August. Supposed to be on Amber.

Have been notified that we will embark on Jade in Nurenberg. Then will change to Pearl at Regensburg on 26 August. Due to finish at Budapest 30 August.

Hope that there are no further complications.

Are you cruising to Passau, Linz & then Regensburg or cruising to Regensburg & docking for 2 days?

Are you cruising to Passau, Linz & then Regensburg or cruising to Regensburg & docking for 2 days?

Cruising Fri 24 on Jade from Nurenburg to Regensburg which is mostly on the canal. Arriving Regensburg on Sat 25. Then expect that when we are on all day tours on Sun 26 our luggage will be transferred to Pearl. Not sure where we board Pearl but should be in Melk by Mon morning.

Cruising Fri 24 on Jade from Nurenburg to Regensburg which is mostly on the canal. Arriving Regensburg on Sat 25. Then expect that when we are on all day tours on Sun 26 our luggage will be transferred to Pearl. Not sure where we board Pearl but should be in Melk by Mon morning.

Hope the rest of your cruise goes well. Have a great cruise!

Looks like it is raining along the Danube. Does anyone know how much rain is required to get the river boats moving again?

I don't know how much rain was required, but it looks like there was sufficient to open Budapest. The tracking site shows the Scenic Jasper most of the way to Budapest, having left Vienna over 12 hours ago. But apparently it hasn't been enough to let the upper Danube open. Right now, it looks like the Jade is still unable to head east from Regensburg, and the Pearl unable to head west from Passau.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more rain in the next couple of weeks before my scheduled Amsterdam->Budapest cruise.

I don't know how much rain was required, but it looks like there was sufficient to open Budapest. The tracking site shows the Scenic Jasper most of the way to Budapest, having left Vienna over 12 hours ago. But apparently it hasn't been enough to let the upper Danube open. Right now, it looks like the Jade is still unable to head east from Regensburg, and the Pearl unable to head west from Passau.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more rain in the next couple of weeks before my scheduled Amsterdam->Budapest cruise.

Looks like we and many more will be doing a rain dance at least until we get on board.

Thanks for the info.

I just got off the phone with the Scenic rep in Vancouver, BC and was told that all boats are presently functioning but there may be some small delays out of certain ports as things are moving slowly. He said that Scenic boats have a shallow draft so are able to get thru. There were some problems earlier in the season, but all boats are now cruising as usual. This applies to the Rhine.

Hopefully this is accurate info....

I was on a cruise when you were speaking to the Scenic rep in Vancouver and I can tell you that his information was completely wrong.

To go through the Rhine Gorge, one of the rel highlights of the cruise we were bused and ended up on the Boppard ferry boat becasue our ship could not make it. We were very crowded on this small ferry and there were a lot of local commuters that we upset as well.

I was on a cruise when you were speaking to the Scenic rep in Vancouver and I can tell you that his information was completely wrong.

To go through the Rhine Gorge, one of the rel highlights of the cruise we were bused and ended up on the Boppard ferry boat becasue our ship could not make it. We were very crowded on this small ferry and there were a lot of local commuters that we upset as well.

What a huge disappointment that Scenic is not transparent with the situation. What should have been an amazing vacation for you and others certainly was not the case. Of course Scenic cannot control the weather and low water levels (and who could have predicted that they would be so low), but what they can do is be upfront with their clients and maintain a good relationship. This certainly does not seem the case. We knew when we booked the vacation that there could possibly be a boat swap and perhaps some time on buses, but what you had to go thru is ridiculious. They should amend the itinerary or give the clients a chance to cancel. We booked this holiday for a significant birthday. Planned close to a year in advance, booked pre and post cruise trains and hotels and it's really frustrating that instead of being excited and looking forward to our vacation, we're up on the air. On their website our vacation is on watch.....whatever that means.... trying to remain optimistic is becoming more difficult.

Edited by candf