Review: Alaska B2B Vancouver-Whittier-Vancouver Star Princess

ceilidh1

I have enjoyed reading your posts about your B2B cruise! I am curious......what did you do on turnaround day? Were you at Whittier for the turnaround day? Did you have to leave the cruise ship? And, if so, what did you do? Thanks so much for posting. It is all very interesting!

Yes, we were in Whittier for turnaround day. Even though we had booked as two separate 7 day cruises, I had called Princess and had them link the bookings. This meant that our cruise cards were good for the entire 14 days - we didn't need to be issued new ones. If you do need new cards for the second leg, they will be delivered to the stateroom along with any other info you need for turnaround. For us, we received a letter telling us what dining, etc was available on the ship (not much) and cards to show that we were "in transit" if we wished to get off (this allows you to reboard without going through the check in line).

We did get off the ship - all other times we have done B2B Princess has offered a shuttle to Anchorage and back. This time they didn't. I wasn't interested in either of the two excursions they offered for passengers continuing on so we decided to just get off and have a walk. We have been to Whittier several times and knew there is really not much to do there! We had a nice walk up to the small waterfall - it's a cool walk as you go through the underground tunnel and the trail is very easy. We couldn't go as far as we planned as the trail was closed for maintenance, but it did get us out for a bit. We then called in at the general store that is near the trailhead and bought a few treats before heading back to the ship. Reboarding was super easy - straight through security, show the in transit passes, and back onboard!

If you want to get out of Whittier, check out Lazy Otter charters and see if they have anything running the day you are there. We have used them a few times and they are great. Outside of their scheduled glacier tours, they offer a "ride share" where you can literally hitch a ride with others that are getting dropped off or picked up at various places (usually kayakers). We did this the last time and got to see areas that are not offered as excursions. Just make sure to let them know that you are in transit so that they only take you on trips that will get you back in time to board!

I have enjoyed reading your posts about your B2B cruise! I am curious......what did you do on turnaround day? Were you at Whittier for the turnaround day? Did you have to leave the cruise ship? And, if so, what did you do? Thanks so much for posting. It is all very interesting!

Forgot to mention that no, we did not HAVE to leave the ship. However, there are very few things open in the morning so just keep that in mind! We also told our steward that he didn't need to worry about our room as we knew how busy he would be on turnaround day!

Forgot to mention that no, we did not HAVE to leave the ship. However, there are very few things open in the morning so just keep that in mind! We also told our steward that he didn't need to worry about our room as we knew how busy he would be on turnaround day!

Thank you, ceilidh1! This was interesting to know! When we did the northbound cruise three years ago, we booked the Princess bus transfer to Anchorage. The driver toured us around Whittier and pointed out some of the interesting landmarks and community features; then, it was off to Anchorage! It would be so enjoyable to be so close to pristine nature and to make memories with your family!

Thank you so much for sharing! From Kamloops, so booking last minute like you did is something I can see us doing sometime. Was it a pretty good deal then?

It was a great deal! Less than $2000 for 3 of us, 2 weeks B2B....granted, it was an inside room but for Alaska, that's about as good as it gets in terms of pricing!