Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

Turtle....on My Silversea under your January 6 booking hit the black Documents button.  You will see a drop down of two items...Guest Information form and Travel Journal.  The Travel Journal there is a digital copy of what will arrive with the silver box a few weeks before sail away.

23 minutes ago, mysty said:

Turtle....on My Silversea under your January 6 booking hit the black Documents button.  You will see a drop down of two items...Guest Information form and Travel Journal.  The Travel Journal there is a digital copy of what will arrive with the silver box a few weeks before sail away.

Well, after umpteen crises I didn't know that was there!  I need you mysty to organise my life!

With all the uncertainty of travel...natural disasters, civil unrest, etc I started the registration process for our travels with Registration of Canadians Abroad.  This is a free service that allows the Government of Canada to notify you in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

Here is the link for Canadians:

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration

Here is the link for the program available for Australians:

https://smartraveller.gov.au/Pages/Registration-Help.aspx

Here is the link for the program available for Americans:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/step.html

According to cruisemapper.com the Whisper will be docking in London Greenwich on Sunday May 19.  Not on Saturday May 18 so maybe we go to London Tilbury on May 18?  Or perhaps the schedule is not quite complete.  There are no data for the port schedule for London Tilbury currently on the cruisemapper.com site.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/london-greenwich-port-11075?tab=schedule&month=2019-05#schedule

Hi Bluebelle14!  

For a shortcut here is the Meet and Mingle link for Silversea....

https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcall/cruiselinel2.cfm?cruiselineid=35

You then choose the ship and on the next page your registration data appears and you then choose the sail date.  Once the sail date is chosen you will see a "Click to see current registered users" which will allow you to see who else has signed up.  

If you need more help just give a wave.  🙂

Good thinking Turtle!  I envy your upcoming departure!  I am very keen to leave now with snow falling.  Counting down with 58 days to sail away.  We fly out January 4 to give us a little bit of wiggle room for nasty weather.

Mysty

Forgot to mention it before but US customs will tear apart your case via fedex if it sees anything other than clothes shoes. Pills and the like, electrical / chargers and anything out of the ordinary 

Using their locks will help and maybe a copy of both passports might also be useful.

I see that Silversea is also doing all the visas for you. I can not fathom how that is being done, Did they take a full geneology tree to fill some of the countries requirements. They might discover my great, great, great uncle 2 removed was a sheep stealer 🙂

Keep posting I 

Joe

ps does hertz hire snow mobiles?

• Thanks 1

That is a bit of a worry Joe. (I'm not mysty 🙂 ) I wasn't planning to send pills but I was thinking of my power board, adapters and a couple of cables.   I've had no problems with those in the past but that has been in accompanied luggage in the hold. I guess it makes sense that the rules are tougher with unaccompanied luggage.  I haven't received (and I don't think mysty has either) the rules of what to pack in our unaccompanied luggage from Silversea as yet.

Hi Joe!  Once again, thanks for your "alerts"!  It seems like the luggage examination for the ship ahead has gotten more intense.  From our last experience I did include extra vitamins, sunscreen, and even a large container of permethrin to treat our clothing for some of the excursions where mosquitoes might have been a problem.  Everything arrived in tip top order.  No evidence the bags had been torn apart.  I'll be more careful this time though.

Turtle...if memory serves, the packing list suggestions came with the FedEx documents for the luggage ship ahead (which are scheduled to be sent out the week of December 10).  I did check with Mr. Sansone about the permethrin before I packed it last time.  Joe, if I am mistaken on this please correct me so that I don't mislead anyone.

I did include copies of both our passports inside the luggage (the ship ahead as well as the bags accompanying us) as well as a copy of the cruise itinerary in each.  I intend to do the same for this go.  And we did use TSA Approved locks on all the bags.

Edited by mysty

One more thing about the ship ahead......for our last big adventure we were advised that the luggage would be picked up on December 22.  We had plans to visit family returning home on December 21.  About 15 minutes after we got through our front door FedEx showed up to pick up the luggage.  Of course it wasn't ready.  The driver said his instructions were for pick up December 21.  The luggage did eventually get picked up on December 23 after much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.  This time I plan to call FedEx myself (if FedEx is indeed the carrier) to verify the pick up date.  Better safe than sorry.  🙂

mysty, I've done a bit of investigation about booking Test Kitchen on our Cape Town stopover. (It really is that good!) It does look very complicated given where we'll be when bookings open and our experiences in trying to book last time.   Maybe, if you are still interested, I can fill you in when we are onboard. A bit too much to do it here.  If we don't succeed there are other very good options. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Hi 343!  Did you get an email about the luggage pick-up or did you make an inquiry?  No email yet here.  Just a response from SS to our TA's query.

And yes, please provide Mrs 343's take.  It is getting really good reviews on tripadvisor.com. 

And Turtle.....many people mention in the reviews how difficult it is to get a reservation.  It seems the restaurant was revamped in August 2016.  The number of diners was cut from 65 to 40.  It does sound intriguing!

https://www.visi.co.za/stylish-revamp-the-test-kitchen/

• Like 1

Yes, we did receive the information via email.  

As to Test Kitchen...here was I wrote on tripadvisor:

I have a gluten allergy that I warned the restaurant about. It was in our reservation. I then told my server about it as well. Despite these warnings, FOUR times food came to me with gluten obviously in the dish. In addition, I specifically asked to be told of any dish that would be significantly modified. In spite of this, they left out a main component of one of my appetizers.

This sort of service should never happen, especially at these prices.

The rest of my party greatly enjoyed their meal, so if you can eat freely, enjoy. If not, look for a more accommodating place to eat.

That was my review from 2012....of course that was a long time ago (will be 7 years by the time we get back to Cape Town).

I do now recall that everyone else did love it, but you can see why the restaurant left a bad taste in my mouth.

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Turtle or 343.....what is the dress code for The Test Kitchen?  I'm sure Myster will be very willing to spiff up if required.  🙂  Thank you!

If they have a dress code I'm sure it would be smart casual. 🙂

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mysty said:

Thanks Turtle!  Did you hear Myster's sigh of relief from Melbourne?  🙂

I'm admiring your confidence at getting a reservation!

Just got an email from Silversea Australia with what appear to be discounts (not very big) on the three segments between Sydney and Singapore.  It also includes a decent on board credit ($1000 per segment) and a one category upgrade.  Might be worth a look for anyone just doing those legs.