Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

Where o where has the silver box disappeared too.

This is what my TA got out of Silversea.

" I have just spoken to Silversea myself and it all makes sense now as to where the Silver Box has got to.  Apparently it was despatched last Friday from Milan and is enroute to Miami to have something added to the box!  This wasn't explained to us each time we have chased this week!!
So now we have to wait for it to be despatched from Miami.  It will be here before Christmas is as much as I could get out of them. "

So now you lnow

Just your average 

Joe

• Thanks 1

Thanks Joe!  It seems things are moving at a snail's pace for SS these days.  Our TA also complained about the lack of communication from SS.  I hope they pull up their socks soon!  And I hope the stuff gets delivered to passengers before we sail!

I've checked with our TA this morning and got the slightly different answer - it is still in Europe! I like Joe's answer better!  As we leave home in two weeks to start or journey it will go down to the wire for us.  At least there is the potential to sort out luggage labels etc at the Four Seasons the night before the cruise.

Turtle

If you are shipping cases via fedex / silverseas then you will not see them until you get on board. 

todays tip

Some sticky labels which you attach to the drawers because you can never remeber where you put anything so a label is useful as it stops all the banging of opening and closing them.

Joe

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

I've checked with our TA this morning and got the slightly different answer - it is still in Europe! I like Joe's answer better!  As we leave home in two weeks to start or journey it will go down to the wire for us.  At least there is the potential to sort out luggage labels etc at the Four Seasons the night before the cruise.

Turtle you were front of mind as I read Joe's earlier post.  Why anything would ship from Milan is a head scratcherI sincerely hope it all works out for you!  I'm not sure whether SS has bitten off more than they can chew with all the changes, and "enhancements".  Staff may be stressed to the limit at this point.  Hopefully current customers will not be inconvenienced!

Joe, thanks for the hint about the drawer labels!  My memory cells are definitely struggling these days so they need any help I can provide!

44 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

Turtle there may be SS-affiliated staff on hand when you check into the Four Seasons who can help with the luggage tags if they do reach your home before your departure.  Best wishes that all goes smoothly!

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Turtle there may be SS-affiliated staff on hand when you check into the Four Seasons who can help with the luggage tags if they do reach your home before your departure.  Best wishes that all goes smoothly!

OOOPs...I meant if they don't reach you in time.  😞

Our travel agent forwarded an email she received from Silversea today.  Interestingly they did not send it to us.  Apparently the itinerary is changing slightly for Shanghai in segment 4905.  The email reads:

"We would like to take this opportunity to advise you of some important information for your upcoming journey. The local authorities have requested that we modify our arrival and departure times into the port of Shanghai, China due to tidal conditions and traffic on the Yangtze River. We anticipate arriving Wednesday March 6, 2019 at 3:30pm instead of Noon and will depart Friday March 8, 2019 at 5:00pm instead of 6:00pm. At this time the remainder of your itinerary is unchanged. 

Should this change affect any shore excursions booked with Silversea, they will be adjusted accordingly. If you have made independent arrangements, please contact your tour provider to make any necessary adjustments based on the new arrival and departure times. 

We wish to thank you for your understanding. 

Kindest Regards,

Silversea"

One of our booked shore excursions will be impacted.  It is a 4 hour ship tour that was originally scheduled to leave at 1:30 pm on March 6.  Not sure how this will play out!

This type of change to the ships planned  arrival and departure on the world is very common. The tours desk are very flexible re the tours and you will find that even if the ship docks exactly at 8.15 and the tours were set for the same time by 8.30 all will be quiet on the ship and the dock.

As the time sail up the Yangtze into Shanghai has been changed you will be able to  enjoy the trip with the river acting as a motorway/freeway  and when we dock almost right in the heart of the city the barges will be passing all night long one of the great cities of the world 

Just your very average 

Joe

• Thanks 1

Thanks Joe!  Our excursion was scheduled to go to a place that closes at 4:15 pm.  That is not optimal obviously.  🙂  Of course things change as we go around the world.  We understand that!  We're not complaining!  Just a wrinkle!  And a minor disappointment.  I'm sure we will enjoy watching the ebb and flow in that port!  🙂 

The new arrival time in Shanghai is in place on MySilversea.  Our booked excursion is hanging off the front end of the arrival time slot.  Ha Ha!  The tour is waitlisted at this point.  We will leave our booking in place and wait to see how things develop.

Capture.JPG

I did hear the drydock is supposed to expand the gym, at the cost of some space in observation.  A welcome change for me.  The only time observation is full is when there is a function there.  I would guess they will move such functions elsewhere on the ship.  Not sure where though.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mysty said:

Has anyone heard how the dry dock is progressing for the Lady Whisper?  Any inside info?  🙂

I have tried to get some news about the dry dock but no success. I would be pleased to know because I will board her on December 20!

I think people are curious about how things are progressing.  Something like a status report.  Are things happening according to their time line?  Do the powers-that-be think the Lady will be ready to sail without work continuing as she sets forth from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco?  I think the recent history of SS ships sailing immediately after dry dock has made future passengers a little wary of what they might face on the upcoming voyage.  Communication helps to alleviate the wariness.  Knowledge is power!  🙂

Hi BB14!  I'm assuming there is someone overseeing the workers and there is someone from SS liaising with the person(s) overseeing the workers.  For a job of this scope I would think there is a fairly detailed work plan.  I would think there would be a projected time estimate for each of the jobs being tackled.  A status report is being provided to someone.  I'm not suggesting that passengers should have access to that.  🙂  I'm just wondering if things are progressing as expected.

Thanks BB14!  We all know that it will be what it will be.  🙂  And everyone has a different tolerance level for the unknown.  I would say that I am more curious than worried.  However there are others who might be more uncomfortable with the unknown.  Different strokes for different folks.

I bet they use the Muse colors, soft grays and silver. We may even get larger TVs.  The Ritz Carlton San Francisco is the Silver Muse on land.  Looking forward to seeing our cruise friends and Silversea staff and our HD, Norman, our CD, Vickie, and our Captain, Luigi.