4 days post-cruise in Vancouver. What would you do?

We've mostly figured out what to do on our Alaska cruise and are now starting to research this part of the trip. We disembark on Wednesday and head home on Sunday. Have heard nice things about Victoria (Butchart Gardens?) and Whistler, but really don't know anything at all about the area. Any suggestions? What are the must-sees? Thanks.

There are lots of things to do in Vancouver, itself, without going too far afield. Victoria needs a full day, leaving 3 days for Vancouver. (I'd leave Whistler for another time, unless you're really set on it because it will take up another day.)

Some suggestions in and around Vancouver:

- Stanley Park

- Granville Island

- Grouse Mountain

- Either Capilano or Lynn Valley Suspension bridges

- Shopping on Robson Street

- Chinatown

- Sun Yat Sen Garden

- UBC and the Museum of Anthropology

- Queen Elizabeth Park and/or Van Dusen Gardens, if you like botanical gardens

- Yaletown

- Gastown

- Steveston

Quite a few of these are on the route of the hop on/hop off Vancouver Trolley.

Lots more, but I'd classify the first 6 on the list to be must-sees.

maybe take a tour of Capilano Canyon and Grouse Mountain. Grouse at night is fabulous,with a view of the city and a good place for dinner.

There are lots of festivals etc.. and wonderful places to eat. Depends what you like to do?

The Lumberjack Show we saw on Grouse Mountain was the exact same show we saw in Ketchikan, Alaska (10/03). We took the mini-van tour to Grouse, Capilano bridge and the salmon hatchery. Check that out before buying ship's excursion ticket to Lumberjack show. Even the dialogue was the same.

There are lots of things to do in Vancouver, itself, without going too far afield. Victoria needs a full day, leaving 3 days for Vancouver. (I'd leave Whistler for another time, unless you're really set on it because it will take up another day.)

Some suggestions in and around Vancouver:

- Stanley Park

- Granville Island

- Grouse Mountain

- Either Capilano or Lynn Valley Suspension bridges

- Shopping on Robson Street

- Chinatown

- Sun Yat Sen Garden

- UBC and the Museum of Anthropology

- Queen Elizabeth Park and/or Van Dusen Gardens, if you like botanical gardens

- Yaletown

- Gastown

- Steveston

Quite a few of these are on the route of the hop on/hop off Vancouver Trolley.

Lots more, but I'd classify the first 6 on the list to be must-sees.

May I just add that I was in Vancouver in 2005 pre and post cruise. One of the highlights for us was the Aquariam in Stanly Park I think. It really was wonderful and I would put that on the top of my list.

Whatever you do, have a great time and happy, healthy, safe travels.

BTW, to all of you living in Vancouver, it is a lovely city. I really enjoyed my time there. I would love to go back.

I ate in some really top of the line restaurants, the Pan Pacific is a wonderful 5 star hotel, and basically it is just a really nice place to visit. Great shopping too!! So to all you people in Vancouver, I just want to say that you really do have a great place for people to visit and thank you.

MrsMoose2001 for your kind words about Vancouver the city where I was born and have lived all my life. Many of us locals take for granted our blessed place on earth and so i am always pleased when visitors echo our words about our beauty etc.

Hopefully you will be able to come back again and enjoy more of our great city.

Cheers

Dennis

We have been to Vancouver three times and think it is a wonderful city. I too thought that the Aquarium was wonderful. We also enjoy walking around the city. The city is beautifu, safe and the people are very friendly. It's a true delight.

I would also recommend taking the ferry to Victoria for one of the days. There are bus tours that will stop at most hotels, take you on the ferry to Victoria and then they will take you to Butchart Gardens where you can spend seveal hours walking around and viewing this wonderful place. It really was a nice day and we enjoyed the ferry ride as well.

Keith

• 1 month later...

My hubby and I stayed at the Hilton (Airport Hilton). We stayed in one of their suites, the rooms were lovely, with a patio and our own private rose garden outside. There were lots of good, inexpensive places to eat, and it was not that expensive to go into town. Sometimes you get a better feeling for a place being a little away from the downtown area. Rev

Of course Vancouver is a beautiful city.....it shares the title of "World's Most Liveable City' with Melbourne! :)

Victoria and Whistler are well worth the visit also, but you might find you can easily spend your 4 days in Vancouver alone, it is a great place to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Kimiata,

Send me your email address to my home email address below:

We're doing FLL-YVR on the Coral 3-22 May 06 and I did a newsletter for my fellow cruisers on all our ports of call, including Vancouver. I'd be more than happy to send you a copy.

P.S. I used to live there for 15 years. Look fwd to hearing from you.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived