I need your NYC Expertise, please...

tutuwahineLV

We will be in NYC the middle of October this year, and it will be our first ever visit. I've searched some on the boards and see that it will be relatively easy to get an Uber when we disembark at MCT. Please bare with me, as I am a total Noob when it comes to NYC. (West coast lifer, and not afraid to admit that NYC totally intimidates me) My Question is this, we will be heading to Battery Park to do the Statue/Ellis Island, and want to go as early as possible, hence the Uber. Which side of 12th should I be planning on trying to get my pick up from?? Should I walk down a bit closer to the Air & Space Museum, on the pier side of the street? or cross 12th to near the taxi stand? It will be a friday morning, and I think we're the only ship in port so it may not be as crazy as usual.

TIA for your help.

Tutu

Welcome to NYC. I don’t use Uber but believe you will be directed on their app to the location of your ride. Usually they will meet you in a side street off 12th Avenue. A word of caution. We disembarked at the MCT last month and there were hustlers on 12th Avenue offering rides. One even had a sign saying Uber .... which he was not.

We were the only ship disembarking and got a yellow cab easily at the taxi stand at 12th and 48th. A question; are you traveling with your luggage. Hard to sightsee with that in tow.

We will be in NYC the middle of October this year, and it will be our first ever visit. I've searched some on the boards and see that it will be relatively easy to get an Uber when we disembark at MCT. Please bare with me, as I am a total Noob when it comes to NYC. (West coast lifer, and not afraid to admit that NYC totally intimidates me) My Question is this, we will be heading to Battery Park to do the Statue/Ellis Island, and want to go as early as possible, hence the Uber. Which side of 12th should I be planning on trying to get my pick up from?? Should I walk down a bit closer to the Air & Space Museum, on the pier side of the street? or cross 12th to near the taxi stand? It will be a friday morning, and I think we're the only ship in port so it may not be as crazy as usual.

TIA for your help.

Tutu

The cruise terminal (and Intrepid) are on the side of the street in which the Uber must head to go downtown. I see no reason why you need to inconvenience yourself and cross the street especially as the car would have to turn back in the other direction to go to Battery Park. Can't you arrange to be picked up at the MCT?

Welcome to NYC. I don’t use Uber but believe you will be directed on their app to the location of your ride. Usually they will meet you in a side street off 12th Avenue. A word of caution. We disembarked at the MCT last month and there were hustlers on 12th Avenue offering rides. One even had a sign saying Uber .... which he was not.

We were the only ship disembarking and got a yellow cab easily at the taxi stand at 12th and 48th. A question; are you traveling with your luggage. Hard to sightsee with that in tow.

Thanks, No we are not moving with luggage, this is just a port stop for us, as we are continuing onward to Miami Fl.

The cruise terminal (and Intrepid) are on the side of the street in which the Uber must head to go downtown. I see no reason why you need to inconvenience yourself and cross the street especially as the car would have to turn back in the other direction to go to Battery Park. Can't you arrange to be picked up at the MCT?

I don't know if pick up can be there. I do know the immediate area will be busy with those departing the cruise, and possibly some joining the ship. We are continuing onward to miami, so it's just a port day for us. I'm just trying to figure out the 'easiest', and quickest way to get to Battery Park. I figure if I move away from the ant nest of activity....it'll be a little easier.

Depending on traffic conditions and how many cruise passengers are disembarking and embarking on a particular day, as well as what sometimes seems to be whim, the police and port personnel will frequently not allow empty vehicles to enter the cruise terminal to pick up disembarking passengers. This happens very frequently and all disembarking passengers needing a taxi or being picked up by a car service or Uber/Lyft have to cross 12th Ave. to be picked up there or on one of the nearby cross streets such as 48th St.

There's no place for vehicles to stop and discharge or pick up passengers on the downtown bound side of 12th Ave either, so you can't merely step outside the cruise terminal proper and be picked on the downtown side of 12th. That's why everyone has to cross 12th Ave. at times when car services are not permitted into the cruise terminal proper for pick ups.

Best bet is across 12th Ave, the street has a median so you don't need to make it across in one cycle of the light.

I don't see what the date is, this would be a weekday rush hour so be aware of surge pricing on any ride app and the weather also plays a role in the availability for both ride share and yellow taxi.