Individual Vendors and What to do on the new itinerary?

honeymooners11

Hey all,

4 of us are booked on the Carnival Elation for August 20th, 2006. Very excited, especially with the new itinerary. We are trying to figure out what we should do in each port of call. We don't want to go throught the ship so we are looking for some recommendations of what to do as well as who to book. Our ports of call are Grand Turk, St. Thomas, Half Moon Cay, and San Juan, PR. Any information regarding these ports, the ship itself, etc. Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

KT

First, I suggest that you check out the Ports of Call forums in the dropdown box at the bottom of this page.

Okay, my thoughts:

San Juan: Take a taxi up to El Morro and wander your way back down through Old San Juan.

St. Thomas: If you would like to go to a beautiful island to snorkel, take the ferry from Red Hook over to St. John. There are many beautiful beaches there. Check out this link: http://www.*****.

Have a great cruise!

We were on the Elation last summer. It is a bit older (1995 I believe) and smaller than many ships today, but we enjoyed it. The food and the service were good and it never seemed crowded.

As for itinerary, we have not been to Grand Turk, but here are my other thoughts.

St. Thomas: If you like to snorkel, go over to St John as Sheffie suggested Other options:

- Join one of open air taxi island tours that you will find on the pier.

- Have one of the taxis take you to the Magen's Bay or one of the other

beaches

- Go shopping

- If you like aquariums, visit Coral World and then go to the beach next door.

Half Moon Cay: Half Moon Cay is HAL's private island so there are no private vendors. It offers a beautiful beach, a few shops, a bar with music and a free buffet. All other activities are offered by the ship. We went horse back riding and enjoyed ourselves. Note: I do not know how it will be on the Elation, but the popular activities sold out quickly on the Zuiderdam so resreve early if you want a cabana or to go horse back riding at a specific time.

San Juan: Again, there are several choices.

- If you are docked at the foot of old San Juan and do not mind walking, you can walk up to the El Morro Fort which has beautiful views and a small museum and then wend your way through the streets of Old San Juan back to the ship.

- Hire a private taxi for a tour of San Juan

- Join one of the minibuses at the pier which offer various tours. We went

on one that offered a tour of San Juan and went to to the Bicardi Factory

and both forts before leaving passengers off to shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived