Check your American Air;ones flights to/from San Juan!

maja651

American changed our flights for our trip next year (March 2019) for both our departure and arrival. Both changes were much worse than our initial flights. I’d recommend checking yours as they put us on a 10 am flight out of San Juan after the cruise. I was able to change it by calling.

Just a heads up!

American changed our flights for our trip next year (March 2019) for both our departure and arrival. Both changes were much worse than our initial flights. I’d recommend checking yours as they put us on a 10 am flight out of San Juan after the cruise. I was able to change it by calling.

Just a heads up!

Your change was probably the first of what could be several. That's the problem booking far in advance (we always do)...but it's easy to change usually. We're getting ready to make that AA flight to SJU in the next few days and have had several changes...Our outbound flight has only varied by a few minutes each time so no big deal but our return is a 9:45am flight....the other choices were much too late and since we've done early flights from SJU before know to self disembark ... get to the airport asap..agriculture check and get to our gate...fingers crossed.

Your change was probably the first of what could be several. That's the problem booking far in advance (we always do)...but it's easy to change usually. We're getting ready to make that AA flight to SJU in the next few days and have had several changes...Our outbound flight has only varied by a few minutes each time so no big deal but our return is a 9:45am flight....the other choices were much too late and since we've done early flights from SJU before know to self disembark ... get to the airport asap..agriculture check and get to our gate...fingers crossed.

Are you saying it is possible to make a 10 am flight out of San Juan if we self disembark? If that’s the case, maybe we will risk the 10 am flight. Hate getting home at 10:40 at night and having to work the next day.

I forgot to mention, yes, I know they make lots of changes when you book far out, but for this particular trip they really killed us with the changes. We were originally supposed to get in SJU at 6:40 PM, now getting in at 10:45 pm. Coming home, we were originally supposed to get home at 7:30, now 10:45. Both stink and are flights we would not have booked. We would have likely chosen a different airline.

Are you saying it is possible to make a 10 am flight out of San Juan if we self disembark? If that’s the case, maybe we will risk the 10 am flight. Hate getting home at 10:40 at night and having to work the next day.

We made 930am flight.

We don't check bags and everything was on schedule for timing...could have made 830 easily.

We have had several changes to our itinerary as well. We received notifications via email. Some were more favourable some not, but either way they still work with our cruise itinerary so we are just rolling with the punches. We booked way in advance, so I understand some of the changes.

We self-disembarked the NCL Dawn last year really, really early (the ship was cleared before 6:00 a.m.). No lines for anything. We were at the airport more than four hours before our flight. We did the agriculture check and then had to wait to check our bags since it was too early the check them.

Just booked a set of DFW-SJU-DFW flights for our Dawn cruise in December. I'm an AA frequent flyer and live in DFW so prefer to fly American, but they only have two direct flights a day to and from DFW/SJU...and I thought long and hard about that direct return that leaves SJU at 9:45 am.

I know it is technically possible to make a flight that early, but it goes against all my cruising experience...and I've heard horror stories about SJU. Besides, we're not morning people and prefer a more relaxed end to our vacation! But the next direct doesn't leave SJU until 3 in the afternoon...way too late.

So we opted for a connection through Miami back to DFW...giving us a more relaxed disembarkation and allowing for anything that might go wrong in the process. Of course, the connection adds to the travel time, so it's a give and take.

Just booked a set of DFW-SJU-DFW flights for our Dawn cruise in December. I'm an AA frequent flyer and live in DFW so prefer to fly American, but they only have two direct flights a day to and from DFW/SJU...and I thought long and hard about that direct return that leaves SJU at 9:45 am.

I know it is technically possible to make a flight that early, but it goes against all my cruising experience...and I've heard horror stories about SJU. Besides, we're not morning people and prefer a more relaxed end to our vacation! But the next direct doesn't leave SJU until 3 in the afternoon...way too late.

So we opted for a connection through Miami back to DFW...giving us a more relaxed disembarkation and allowing for anything that might go wrong in the process. Of course, the connection adds to the travel time, so it's a give and take.

A nonstop flight for us to get back from SJU-LAX isn't even an option. We're also connecting in MIA.

We've found the early morning times at SJU aren't that bad...at least the times we've been there...hoping this is the same.

We bought our January 19' AA flights 3-4 months ago and haven't received any changes yet. But we fly down a day before cruise, and stay in SJU 3 days after, so no worries:p

10:00AM flight after cruise would be stressful, but should be OK as long as the ship is on schedule. Just be ready to walk off with bags first thing. And make sure you do USDA check first when arriving at the airport before getting in line to check in for flights.

I am only seeing one direct flight to DFW/SJU for our Dec 9th sailing. Our return on the 16th leaves at 9:22 am. Not risking the chance that the ship returns late or security is backed up. We are staying the night and returning on the 17th since there is only one direct flight on the 16th.

We are flying DFW to SJU and American Airlines just changed our non-stop flight so that it doesn't get into SJU until like 11:30 at night! It was the only non-stop available for our Nov 2018 cruise! Does anyone think they may add some more non-stop flights? We wanted to get in earlier so we could enjoy some of old san juan before embarking the next day.

We are flying DFW to SJU and American Airlines just changed our non-stop flight so that it doesn't get into SJU until like 11:30 at night! It was the only non-stop available for our Nov 2018 cruise! Does anyone think they may add some more non-stop flights? We wanted to get in earlier so we could enjoy some of old san juan before embarking the next day.

SIL works for AA and says there will most likely not be any nonstop flights added. We are now looking at flying in 2 days early for Dec cruise. #nothappy

Michelle, I was looking at possible flights to see how I would end up getting to SJU from So Calif and mine would be an evening departure with afternoon arrival much like yours. Coming home means getting back after 10 PM.

We are in the same “boat’. Lol we are doing this cruise back to back, but when we return on March 31, we don’t get home until 10:30 pm. Really sucks because we have to work the next day. I am praying American opens up more DFW flights to/from San Juan before our trip so we can switch back to reasonable flights.

I could fly non stop to JFK out of Palm Springs then in but never flown Jet Blue. I wish getting home was just as easy. Right now I have 2 choices, 1. PSP ---> DEN ( Meet up with daughter ) ----> Newark ----- SJU Arrival 1:30 PM. Return, SJU ----> Newark ----> Non Stop Newark to PSP. 2nd. Skip Denver and go Non stop to Newark, meet up with daughter, then back through Newark on United. Approximately $800 R/T This is for March 1 & 8 of 2020. Have a R/T Hawaii next March with friends out of San Pedro.

Gay

I have plenty of time before I need to even consider booking. I prefer American so will see I wanted to see what the connections and lay over times would be. I would prefer only 1 connection.Right now my best connections are with United or Jet Blue. United gives me Non stop to Newark then over while Jet Blue flies me Non stop to JFK and over. Same on the return.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

• 1 month later...

United has changed ours too but not too drastically. I wish we could get direct flights or even 1 stop flights. We will fly out of Oregon to San Fran to IAD to SJU and if all flights are on time it’s just over 14 hours each way. A red eye there and getting home after midnight after cruise. But it will be worth it to see San Juan again and for the great itinerary of a Southern Caribbean and 5 islands in 7 days!!

I was surprised that I could get the flights with 1 stop out of Palm Springs. If I fly Jet Blue I would arrive in SJ around 6:30 AM, on United it is around 1:20 PM I think it was. I was checking for this March on prices even though cruise is for 2020. I doubt I will fly to Boston soon but JB was going to add Logan from PSP . I hope to work out the best times with the daughter who is joining me on the cruise. 

I don't know the dates of your flight but there is one for 1 stop in Charlotte getting you into SJU at 12:30. PM the layover in Charlotte is 2 hours on American Airlines.

Daughter & I originally were on the Allure for April 2020, but for what appears to be a dry dock schedule, I moved us to the Freedom and first time out of San Juan for March 2020. She is really looking forward to her first Caribbean cruise and I really liked the itinerary better then the Allure's. I do hope to re book on the Allure just to experience the ship. 

I think almost every flight we have taken for a cruise had a change. It was not enough where we had to alter our plans. Friends of ours coming from Reno got moved to a flight that arrived after their connecting flight to Quebec. It was on Delta and I found them a flight changing in Chicago with an hour layover which they had Delta move them to. Our cruise is a year after yours. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up!   I just checked my AA flight from SJU in March 2019 and it was totally different.  AA changed my return flight time to leaving at 5:15AM!  The ship doesn't even dock until 7.    I just spent an hour of time and $200+ to get my return flight changed.