Seasick patches

alabuddy

I get very seasick and I found out that the patches are on back order you can get the brand name not the generic which is what insurance covers does anyone know of a place to get them that is cheaper than 104 for 4 patches ?? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have worn the patches, but I always feel “out of it”.

After researching, I ordered Kwells from amazon Canada which is the same as scopolamine but in pill form and only lasts 6 hours.

I have also read that ginger capsules stop seasickness.

We leave Sunday - so we will see!

Check out other pharmacies. Sometimes, there are national backorders and no one can get a particular medication. Sometimes, it is strictly an individual store or chain who's supply has run dry.

Called everyone in Huntsville al even hospital no one has them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just a little clairification here.

There's the Transderm-Scop (brand) scopolomine patch. That's only available with a prescription.

There's a generic of the scopolomine patch. Also requires a prescription.

The generic type of this patch is currently not available in a lot of places. But the brand name one is.

There's is also a non-prescription patch for motion sickness (actually more than one). But the ingredients are generally herbal and oils.

I take this stuff 5 days prior to traveling and continue it throughout the cruise. it is amazing and doesn't taste awful.

https://www.amazon.com/Rugby-Travel-Sickness-Tablets-100/dp/B004FJFF2A/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1535389271&sr=8-1&keywords=meclazine

Uhm.....you don't need to take it 5-days prior. The night before is sufficient

I am extremely prone to motion sickness - I need to take an antiemetic just to go to an amusement park. Have tried the Scop patch and it made me sleep the first day and a half, made me very loopy and gave me the worst case of cotton mouth ever. And God forbid you accidentally touch it and then rub your eyes!

That being said, I swear by Meclizine. 50mg the night before the cruise and than a dose every night and I'm good. Makes me less drowsy than dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) and lasts longer.

Meclizine is Bonine.

The Scopolomine Brand Name patches are about $100 for 3.

Hyoscine, also known as scopolamine, is a medication used to treat motion sickness and postoperative nausea and vomiting. It is also sometimes used before surgery to decrease saliva. ... Hyoscine is produced from plants of the nightshade family. - wikipedia

Kwells OTC in Europe and is Hyoscine. Try to find some as an affordable option. I found it on amazon.ca but it seems they are out of stock at the moment. There was some on eBay too.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001PMLZI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also you can try a compounding pharmacy with a RX.

Meclizine is Bonine.

Yes - Meclizine HCL is the generic and Bonine is one of the trade names. Less Drowsy Dramamine is also Meclizine HCL

Just about all antiemetics will treat nausea, vomiting and lessen motion sickness

Just a little clairification here.

There's the Transderm-Scop (brand) scopolomine patch. That's only available with a prescription.

There's a generic of the scopolomine patch. Also requires a prescription.

The generic type of this patch is currently not available in a lot of places. But the brand name one is.

There's is also a non-prescription patch for motion sickness (actually more than one). But the ingredients are generally herbal and oils.

Not everyone is from the US, so to clarify the prescription requirement. In Canada, Scopolomine patches are available without a prescription, over the counter.

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting an old-ish thread to report on my first experience with Transderm Scop patches.

I get motion sickness.  BAD.  Doesn't matter how smooth the seas are or how good the driver is, I get sick.  I have made myself car sick when I'M THE DRIVER, that's how sensitive I am.  I'd done 3 cruises prior, and done ok with no medication or just Gravol and a nap when things got bad.  But the worst I'd experienced was on NCL Jade (in very calm Mediterranean), and knowing I was going on NCL Pearl, I knew I needed to try something.  I got the patch and I got Bonine as a backup.  Ginger pills (or other forms) do nothing for my seasickness, and Gravol, while amazing, knocks me out, so not really practical for day-to-day use.  

We bought the patch here in Canada (at Costco, where they are SUPER cheap in comparison to over-the-counter at the pharmacy, and you do not need a membership to buy something from Costco pharmacy).  I tend to experience side effects on a lot of drugs, but my mom (who also hits the side-effect lottery a lot) had just gotten off a trans atlantic cruise and used them with no ill effects, so I was optimistic.  

Days 1-3 on the patch were GLORIOUS.  I could not stop exclaiming to my travel companions at how delighted I was that I wasn't feeling motion sick AT ALL.  I could feel the boat moving, and I knew I *should* be feeling a little green around the gills, but it was GREAT!  

Starting around day 4 I started getting dry mouth.  Ok, that's a manageable side effect, just drink more water, suck ice or hard candies.  

Another couple of days in and I had THE WORST SORE THROAT I have ever had.  I thought I might have strep throat, it was SO bad.  Another common side effect, but this was agony, and stressful to boot, as I worried about the cost of a doctor's visit, even with insurance.  After a terrible dinner where I burst into tears before the appetizers even arrived, I decided that no amount of relief from motion sickness was worth this misery.  I whipped off the patch and went to my backup option: Bonine. 

Bonine is not available in Canada, but I'd ordered a couple of boxes on Amazon delivered to my travel companion's home in Florida pre-cruise.  I got enough to last me for the duration of the cruise at 2 pills per day, so I had plenty for my 2 week cruise. 

You guys! Bonine did the trick!!!  The transition from the patch to the Bonine was seamless, the sore throat faded and so did the dry mouth (though not as much, it was still quite dry on the Bonine but not as bad as on the patch).  I am so so so amazed at how well this worked for me!  Bonus effect: no car-sickness on excursion buses on horrible bumpy windy roads!   I felt a bit more tired than I would normally, but vacations are the best time to take naps!  I even *enjoyed* the motion of the boat rocking me to sleep at night!  We experienced a few days of very high cross-winds on our cruise, so there was a TON of motion on the ship.....  I am still amazed at how well I felt through all of it!  

I am over the moon at how well the Bonine worked.  I will talk to my doctor about getting Meclizine in Canada, but we are in the US enough that I can keep a stock on hand with a stop at the pharmacy  when we're visiting.  

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 6:13 AM, Herfnerd said:

Uhm.....you don't need to take it 5-days prior. The night before is sufficient

I am extremely prone to motion sickness - I need to take an antiemetic just to go to an amusement park. Have tried the Scop patch and it made me sleep the first day and a half, made me very loopy and gave me the worst case of cotton mouth ever. And God forbid you accidentally touch it and then rub your eyes!

That being said, I swear by Meclizine. 50mg the night before the cruise and than a dose every night and I'm good. Makes me less drowsy than dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) and lasts longer.

I second this! Tried that patches and couldn't stay awake. Rubbed my eye, blew a pupil and had to wear sunglasses for the rest of the cruise. I take Meclizine/Bonine and don't have any side effects at all.

No, read above, the generic is no longer being produced.  So a few places still have it, if someone doesn't have it, they can't get it.

Ask your insurance to find someone reasonably close with it in stock.

BTW, Transderm Scop patches used to be over the counter (but behind the counter) in the US.

Early 90s.

They were over the counter, but behind the counter (had to ask for them). Then they were pulled from the market due to some issues, mainly people who misused them (too many consecutive days in one case I know of).

Then they came back as prescription only in the late 90s.

I used the Transderm Scop patch on a recent cruise that went through the remnants of Diego.  The seas were high and there were lots of people seasick.  I always get seasick, but the patch works for me.  I actually cut it in half and use it.  I don't get any side effects other than being a bit tired at night.  I could not cruise without it.  I have tried everything else, but for me this is the answer.