Majorica Pearls

teacher1977

Will be on a Western Mediterranean cruise this fall. I would like to purchase Majorica pearls while we are in Barcelona, Spain. Does anyone know a reputable store to find the pearls? Or if they are actually sold onboard (Crown Princess) in one of the shops which might even be easier! If they are available onboard how is the selection?

I would not call the Majorica jewellery "pearls". They are man-made. Here is a description:

"Production. Majorica pearls are not formed in mollusks, but are man-made on solid glass balls coated with layers of pigmented and protective lacquers. ... These nuclei are then dipped into a special pearly liquid, hemage, an adhesive paste made of oil and ground up fish scales or mother-of-pearl for their iridescence."

However if this is what you want to buy, I would follow the earlier suggestion and check the prices on line, then on board the ship. There is no guarantee that they will be cheaper in Spain, although they are produced on the Spanish island of Majorca.

I bought Majorca pearls in Palma de Majorca. They were different prices depending on color and quality of clasp. Since I didn't want to pay for a 14K clasp, I couldn't get the whitest color, but I like what I got and wear them often on cruises. I have real pearls in shorter lengths, but I wanted a string 24". EM