I'm in a Panic!!

Lovincruisin1321

We will be sailing with Captain Henk Draper, on one of your former ships :-)

Lucky You. Noordam and Captain, Draper. I'd jump at the chance. ;)

Hmmm... No, there' s an idea :)

OP, as I believe has been mentioned, I would caution you to beware of the proverbial 'self-fulfilling prophecy', by not going into this cruise with preconceived notions that it might not be to your liking.

Because if you do, it surely will end up not being to your liking..

I hope you are not quoting me because that is not what I said .."dead quiet". You tend to exaggerate yourself in to an unwarranted tizzy. You also claimed the Veeddam was not sea-wortthy but apparently was willing to go out to sea loaded with passenger anyway. This does not bode well for your cruise if you go into it expecting and looking for the most exaggerated worst. Whether this ship is "dated" as you also claimed has a million interpretations too. I seriously hope you look for another cruise line.

Wow. Such rudeness. No one should be told to cruise another cruise line just because you do not like them or their values.. Perhaps, you should cruise another line!

I'm the opposite. I'd rather sail on ANY older HAL ship than a larger newer ship. And their balcony cabins , which are all at least nominally suites, are almost always more per person than Vista ships and larger. Do older ships have more issues? Yes. But a young ship is no assurance of a perfect cruise with no issues.

OP, holiday cruises are usually more lively with a large variety of age groups onboard. I wouldn't worry about being bored.

I'm with you. I'll be sailing on the oldest ship in the fleet (until she leaves officially in July 2019). No, she may not have the bells and whistles of the new ships but she has excellent service on board and marvellous itineraries and yes, she's aging but still elegant.

OP, I wouldn't worry. Don't go onboard with preconceived notions or worries. If you do it will tarnish your cruise. Just go with the flow and I bet, pretty confident that you will have a great time.

I’m the person reporting “live”. What wasn’t working on the ship (primarily lighting) since the surge, still isn’t but it really hasn’t impacted our experience. I’m a first time HAL customer and, despite everything, I would definitely sail HAL again. The crew has handled this very well and the OBC was welcome since we were inconvenienced.

The food has been good to great (the desserts are superior to Celebity). The ship is dated but comfortable. I do think the atmosphere is pretty sedated. That said, we are having fun. The power surge did worry me- I’m surprised at so many dismissing that. I’ve never experienced it before, or having the ships emergency crew deployed. And I’ve never had one at home.

Again, we’re enjoying ourselves. I’d sail HAL again but I’d probably select a newer vessel: (a) because the amenities are ok but not what I’ve grown accustomed to and (2) because power surges just aren’t normal no matter how many people say they are and things just wear out over time, including ships. If I was booked already, I wouldn’t cancel but just be prepared for anything.

OP, I understand your concern from your initial post. You are giving this cruise to your husband as a Christmas present, so naturally you want it to be a nice surprise.

I think you will have a good time on the Veendam. I was on the Veendam in mid June for a cruise to Bermuda and this was the smallest ship I had ever sailed on. I was a little concerned by some of the reviews I read beforehand but once onboard I was very pleased. Yes, the ship is older, but everything was spotless & in good repair. I found I loved the smaller, more intimate setting. Each evening there were shows, piano bar, music in the Ocean Bar, a movie in the Wajang Theatre, music & dancing in the Crows Nest. I always found something fun to do. The crew and service was excellent, as was the food. The one issue I had was that my room was too warm, but not so much so that I would never sail on this ship again. In fact, I've been trying to decide between two cruises on the Veendam for my next cruise--the New Years one you have booked and an 11 day from Montreal to Ft Lauderdale.

Have a great cruise. I think New Years aboard a ship would be a lot of fun! I wouldn't worry too much about the current problems. I'm sure this will be repaired asap. They seem to take good care of their ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on Veendam in May for a 14 night Canada, New England, Bermuda trip. We were in cabin 026. Everything worked. She is an older, small ship and we had a great time. The crew were very nice and friendly. The MD meals were all very good. Overall, I’d be more than happy to sail on her again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A power surge can happen on any ship; had one on Zuiderdam while alongside at Port Canaveral, FL in 2016. Have a great time on Veendam in December

I was on this Zuiderdam sailing. The power surge messed the navigation software as I remember, so we had to wait at Port Canaveral for an update/restart. We were late sailing to Fort Lauderdale and they were making emergency plans for buses from Port Canaveral to Fort Lauderdale for disembarkation day. But in the end, all was solved and we made it to Fort Lauderdale.

We were on a Ryndam cruise and had trouble with engines. During the inaugural year of the Eurodam, we were stalled for a while in the North Atlantic because of a fire in the incinerator. On a Veendam cruise in the Caribbean, the anchor got stuck over the bulbous bow and we had to drag the anchor into Jamaica, causing us to be late getting in.

Don't let the negative reports worry you. Things happen on every cruise, but the staff handle them. And while it's disappointing to have ports cancelled, it's all part of the cruising experience. On that Zuiderdam cruise in 2016, we had Charlottetown and Sydney cancelled because of storms. It was a wild and unusual cruise, but really one of the best I've had.

Go, and have a great time!

Whether we want it or not, Veendam is an old ship (1996). Technology change since then.

Just ask the navigation deck crew about your concern. Less intuitive, less user-friendly...

BTW : Dont Panic !!!

Holland America knows how to keep the real feel nautical theme around your entire Voyage !! And it's Safe and Secured !

Holacanada on the Koningsdam next november.

From Quebec City

Edited by holacanada

Whether we want it or not, Veendam is an old ship (1996). Technology change since then.

Just ask the navigation deck crew. Less intuitive, user-friendly...

Holland America knows how to keep the real feel nautical theme around your entire Voyage !!

From Quebec City

Heck, we're all a bit older and "worn-in" than we were in 1996. Not everything with us works perfectly all the time either.

Look forward to your cruise and to making your own fun and being sure you have a good time.

!! :)

Our enjoymen t rests highly in making ourselves happy. HAL has mcuh of the responsibility but, we do, as well. IMO

Thank you so much! Your words are very kind and reassuring. Panic has subsided :D

OP, I understand your concern from your initial post. You are giving this cruise to your husband as a Christmas present, so naturally you want it to be a nice surprise.

I think you will have a good time on the Veendam. I was on the Veendam in mid June for a cruise to Bermuda and this was the smallest ship I had ever sailed on. I was a little concerned by some of the reviews I read beforehand but once onboard I was very pleased. Yes, the ship is older, but everything was spotless & in good repair. I found I loved the smaller, more intimate setting. Each evening there were shows, piano bar, music in the Ocean Bar, a movie in the Wajang Theatre, music & dancing in the Crows Nest. I always found something fun to do. The crew and service was excellent, as was the food. The one issue I had was that my room was too warm, but not so much so that I would never sail on this ship again. In fact, I've been trying to decide between two cruises on the Veendam for my next cruise--the New Years one you have booked and an 11 day from Montreal to Ft Lauderdale.

Have a great cruise. I think New Years aboard a ship would be a lot of fun! I wouldn't worry too much about the current problems. I'm sure this will be repaired asap. They seem to take good care of their ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow. Such rudeness. No one should be told to cruise another cruise line just because you do not like them or their values.. Perhaps, you should cruise another line!

ChinaShrek, you either did not read the entire exchange between OlsSalt and Lovincruisin1321 (i.e., Posts 7, 11, 14 & 15) or chose to ignore Posts 14 & 15. In either event, your Post is a classic of the kettle calling the pot black. If "no one should be told to cruise another cruise line just because ...", then you certainly showed the ultimate rudeness by doing just that in the final sentence of your Post.

We were on Veendam in May for a 14 night Canada, New England, Bermuda trip. We were in cabin 026. Everything worked. She is an older, small ship and we had a great time. The crew were very nice and friendly. The MD meals were all very good. Overall, I’d be more than happy to sail on her again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the midst of panic, I forgot that I love strangers and I'm fun! ;p

Look forward to your cruise and to making your own fun and being sure you have a good time.

!! :)

Our enjoymen t rests highly in making ourselves happy. HAL has mcuh of the responsibility but, we do, as well. IMO

I checked out a tour on YouTube of the ship. It looks very elegant. My excitement is rejuvenated!

Just ask the navigation deck crew about your concern. Less intuitive, less user-friendly...

Holland America knows how to keep the real feel nautical theme around your entire Voyage !! And it's Safe and Secured !

From Quebec City

We were on Veendam August 18-25. We had pretty bad service, primarily screwups with beverage cards, account owners on file, etc. Mostly adminstrative stuff, but they just kept getting it wrong.

On embarkation day, we sailed after 6pm instead of the 4pm from Boston. We were late arriving to every port, and usually early to leave.

There was a smoke event in the galley while we were at sea on Thursday enroute to Quebec. Some tense moments for a while, especially for my anxious 12-year old son.

The ship developed a pretty good groan near the end of the voyage, on the way in to Quebec, heard while we were underway into the wind. We had winds across the deck of 65 knots.

Due to the triathlon in Montreal, we had to disembark at the temporary port, which was a real hassle with older in-laws (and it cost us an additional $15 in cab fare to the airport instead of the $41 it would've been from the Old Port area.

We will not sail HAL again.

In the midst of panic, I forgot that I love strangers and I'm fun! ;p

Good to hear that.

It is so easy to meet new people on a ship.

I wiill cheer you on to have a great time and wonderful surprise for your Dh.

We’ve celebrated three very lively NYEs on HAL ships. There was a huge live band dance party in the main theater and another in the Crows’ Nest, plus the frivolity extends well after midnight in the various ship’s lounges. Plenty of champagne and sumptuous late night hors d’oeuvres as well. The crowd will be older on HAL, so with the exception of a few over-indulged (and over indulging) grandkids, you won’t see the raucous drunken debauchery you might find on the more “fun ships”.

We last sailed the Veendam in January 2017 and she was lovely. In reading the “awful reviews” — be they of ships, hotels or restaurants - try to factor in as much context as possible. Does this reviewer habitually trash or are their reviews reasonably balanced? How long ago was their experience? What was the experience of others since that time? We’ve booked the Veendam again for this October (bucket list - Cuba - itinerary) and I’m looking forward to another excellent HAL experience.

I dont know what kind of cruise experience you want, so it's hard to give you advice on if you're on the right ship or not.

First of all, your fears as expressed, aren't warranted IMHO. All ships can have power surges - just like any airplane can be delayed for mechanical problems. Ships are not the same as hotels. They move, they're only in port for major work to be done on turn around days, etc. Most times power surges are simple fixes. But being in a "floating" hotel does require some flexibility in expectations whether the ship is 1 year old, or 20 years old.

As far as NYE - I've been on plenty of HAL ships on NYE and no - they are nowhere near "dead". In fact you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in their stateroom. The lounges are hopping with live music, champagne is pouring, and most ships set up little buffet food stations. It's a fun time!

We've been sailing on HAL for 25 years, and I'll tell you when I get to be 58, because I'm not 58 yet (that's 4 years away).

Now, is the Veendam, or HAL the right cruise for you? Depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for something like you see in the Royal Caribbean commercials (ice skating rink, rock climbing wall, 20 restaurants, etc), probably not. You wont find that. You will find a more laid back cruise. The food and service will be great. The ship - it's a matter of personal taste. What is dated and dark to someone is elegant and refined to someone else. Look at photos and videos on Youtube and decide if it's for you.

For us, I wouldnt have it any other way. Let's take those other cruise lines - what others might see as exciting, very active with plenty to do, lots of options, etc. - I see as too many people, too busy, too impersonal, too sterile, too generic. All depends on what you like.