I'm in a Panic!!

Lovincruisin1321

Please help assure me that I didn't make a mistake.

I have never cruised on HAL and I wanted to surprise my husband as a Christmas present for a NYE celebration.

I have booked the Veendam but I have just read a terrible "Live" review. The ship is dated, and power surge problem: "We were settling into our suite, waiting to muster, and suddenly there was a strange, loud humming noise. Our TV went all staticky. Ship’s whistle blew 7 times, lights dimmed (this was all before we left port). It took some time to hear from the captain that there had been a power surge. I could go into more detail but, to sum up, our 4 PM sailing became a 6 PM sailing then it was announced that we would not sail. We spent the night in Montreal. We were told we would get an update in the morning but when I woke up this morning, we were moving. We arrived in Quebec City at 4 PM today and are spending the night and all day tomorrow in QC. Charlottetown has been cancelled.

Most services are up and running but many light fixtures are still only operating at emergency level. The crew is handling it all well but I can’t say I’m thrilled (in the sense of feeling like the ship is truly seaworthy). Not a great introduction to HAL"

Worried that this present won't be much fun.

That is a great ship. The situation described will be long past by the holidays.

Further, the power surge came from the shore connection...this is very very rare, but can happen to any vessel...even new ones.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is a great ship. The situation described will be long past by the holidays.

Further, the power surge came from the shore connection...this is very very rare, but can happen to any vessel...even new ones.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And power surges can happen in our homes too ;)

I wouldn't be concerned. Thinfool is absolutely correct - it can happy to any ship. And, if sailing is delayed, you're still on the ship, your meals are cooked, your room is cleaned. Life is good.

We've been delayed once in all our cruises. No biggie. We still had a great cruise :)

We sailed the Veendam in June. We usually sail Carnival, RCCL, Princess and we wanted something different, we want something "Old Style" all I can say is WE LOVED our cruise. Everything on the Veendam was perfect. We had absolutely no problems. We sailed from Boston to Bermuda for the week and it was magical. In fact, we loved it so we're now booked on the Rotterdam, can't wait, sailing in March and am honestly trying to figure out how to slip another cruise in between now and March.

We are experienced cruises with more than 30 cruises under our belt, If you want your cruise to be wonderful, it will be, you go with the flow.

By the way, the food, oh gosh the FOOD was incredible. Enjoy and have fun!

I have sailed NYE many timeson HAL ships and we always enjoyed. We were far les s than 58 some of those NYE crusies. :)

The person who said it is dead...... Did that person ever sail HAL for NyE? Some how I think Not. Maybe they just 'heard' :D :wink:

Don’t know you or your travel history.

I must be honest with you. At times the Veendam has been the most hated ship in the fleet. Mechanical problems are not uncommon. Of course any ship can have problems for a sailing or two.

This ship been up for sale for years, no takers. It will be sunsunetted at some point.

Recent reports have been more positive.

Prices on this ship are often cheap. We were parked next to it in QC in May. Talked to a couple Veendam passengers and they were not thrilled with it but it was inexpensive. They were receiving great service as the ship was a little more than half full.

Read reviews back seven or eight years, search Veendam comments here.

Your ship will not sink, I’m sure it is sea worthy.

Some loyalists will vehemently dispute my take. I would not sail it. I would not sail any of the old ships of HAL.

There are so many ship choices out there.

My brother was just on her for a Boston to Cuba cruise and said that they loved the ship and especially the crew. They did have noise issues in their cabin (vibration caused). but otherwise everything was fine.

When booking, one needs to remember that the older the ship, the more issues/problems you will experience (we had a similar vibration/noise cruise on the Statendam just before they sold her). However, HAL will not knowingly let any safety issues not be addressed immediately.

Thank you all for the replies. I do feel better.

What about NYE? Another cruiser told me it would be dead quiet and not much activity. We are only 58....

I hope you are not quoting me because that is not what I said .."dead quiet". You tend to exaggerate yourself in to an unwarranted tizzy. You also claimed the Veeddam was not sea-wortthy but apparently was willing to go out to sea loaded with passenger anyway. This does not bode well for your cruise if you go into it expecting and looking for the most exaggerated worst. Whether this ship is "dated" as you also claimed has a million interpretations too. I seriously hope you look for another cruise line.

Lol...no, it was not me who said it was not sea-worthy. That was from someone else who was responding to a LIVE post. Yes, I said dead quiet but was not quoting you. If on NYE there is not a celebration with music, noise makers and champagne flowing, it will be dead quiet. And....before you say it, "No", I am not a Carnival cruiser. Mainly Celebrity and Royal. We just like to have fun.

I am taking the challenge of the risk and trying it out. We can make our own fun and make the best of a situation. As my brother always told me, "Keep your expectations low and you will never be disappointed".

I believe this applies :cool:

I hope you are not quoting me because that is not what I said .."dead quiet". You tend to exaggerate yourself in to an unwarranted tizzy. You also claimed the Veeddam was not sea-wortthy but apparently was willing to go out to sea loaded with passenger anyway. This does not bode well for your cruise if you go into it expecting and looking for the most exaggerated worst. Whether this ship is "dated" as you also claimed has a million interpretations too. I seriously hope you look for another cruise line.

Lol...no, it was not me who said it was not sea-worthy. That was from someone else who was responding to a LIVE post. Yes, I said dead quiet but was not quoting you. If on NYE there is not a celebration with music, noise makers and champagne flowing, it will be dead quiet. And....before you say it, "No", I am not a Carnival cruiser. Mainly Celebrity and Royal. We just like to have fun.

I am taking the challenge of the risk and trying it out. We can make our own fun and make the best of a situation. As my brother always told me, "Keep your expectations low and you will never be disappointed".

Sorry I got you mixed up with the one who really was in a self-inflicted panic. You sound like you will have a good time. Enjoy.

FYI - NYE on the ships will definitely not be dead ;) The main party with (usually) the captain ringing in the New Year on the ship's bell will either be in the main show lounge or at the Lido Pool mid-ships (with the magro dome open). There will be a secondary party in the Crow's Nest. They will hand out hats/tiaras and noisemakers (could find them as early as at your dinner table). Lots of champagne on hand, as well as a Dutch delicasy, "oliebollen", a tradition in Holland on New Year's Eve

Some loyalists will vehemently dispute my take. I would not sail it. I would not sail any of the old ships of HAL.

There are so many ship choices out there.

I'm the opposite. I'd rather sail on ANY older HAL ship than a larger newer ship. And their balcony cabins , which are all at least nominally suites, are almost always more per person than Vista ships and larger. Do older ships have more issues? Yes. But a young ship is no assurance of a perfect cruise with no issues.

OP, holiday cruises are usually more lively with a large variety of age groups onboard. I wouldn't worry about being bored.

FYI - NYE on the ships will definitely not be dead ;) The main party with (usually) the captain ringing in the New Year on the ship's bell will either be in the main show lounge or at the Lido Pool mid-ships (with the magro dome open). There will be a secondary party in the Crow's Nest. They will hand out hats/tiaras and noisemakers (could find them as early as at your dinner table). Lots of champagne on hand, as well as a Dutch delicasy, "oliebollen", a tradition in Holland on New Year's Eve

That sounds perfect!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

And Appelflappen?

I've seen them served alongside the oliebollen on New Year's Eve but, for some reason, not as frequent ;p

Guessing this may have to do with the price of raisins versus apples?

Cannot remember from our 2013 one on Rotterdam, but guess we will find out in a couple of months what they serve 😊