Colosseum Confusion

CozGurl

Seems there are 3 ways to see the Colosseum?

1. Regular tour

2. Underground/floor

3. Belvedere higher levels

Is this correct? If so, does anyone have a preference? I can't decide if lower or higher levels are better to see.

I am also confused by all the options on the official website of the Colosseum. It appears to me there is a timed ticket with audio guide as well as timed entrance ticket with guide. (as well as some other options.) I am assuming the entrance with guide is a live person guide. However that option is actually cheaper ticket price than the audio guide. That seems odd to me.

Can anyone clear up all these entrance options? The offical website really does not do a good job of explaining....

thanks.

Booking tickets for admission and tours at the Colosseum has become complicated, I agree.

Rather than reinventing the wheel, I suggest you read two very relevant discussions on the Tripadvisor Rome forum that should answer most questions:

For general information on booking tickets (e.g., with or without guide or audioguide, who should pre-reserve a free ticket, etc.) read this thread:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k11765736-Booking_coloseum_entry_tickets_2018-Rome_Lazio.html

For more specific information on the various tours offered (e.g., Belevedere, Underground) read this one:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k11765736-o10-Booking_coloseum_entry_tickets_2018-Rome_Lazio.html

Between these two threads, most questions should be answered. If you still have questions, feel free to ask.

Booking tickets for admission and tours at the Colosseum has become complicated, I agree.

Rather than reinventing the wheel, I suggest you read two very relevant discussions on the Tripadvisor Rome forum that should answer most questions:

For general information on booking tickets (e.g., with or without guide or audioguide, who should pre-reserve a free ticket, etc.) read this thread:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k11765736-Booking_coloseum_entry_tickets_2018-Rome_Lazio.html

For more specific information on the various tours offered (e.g., Belevedere, Underground) read this one:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k11765736-o10-Booking_coloseum_entry_tickets_2018-Rome_Lazio.html

Between these two threads, most questions should be answered. If you still have questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you--those were great links.

My opinion, for what it's worth:

You'll always get folks chasing whatever the "newest" thing is. IMO, that's one reason why the Colosseum has added a number of tours -- to entice folks back who've already done the basic tour, and to make folks think they're seeing the latest and greatest...

If your focus is really on seeing the Colosseum and understanding how it's built and why it was used, the basic tour is the best. The underground tour shows some areas that were used for storage of props, possibly animals, and where gladiators may have waited for their fights (some incorrectly refer to them as dungeons). They are not terribly well preserved.

The third level/Belevedere tour is primarily for the views you'll have over the interior and exterior -- but there are better exterior views at other places, and as for the interior, closer is better.

So I'd simply go with the regular or basic tour.

Thanks for the links!

If I want to do the open ticket, I don't see a way to reserve the audio guide. Is there not a way to reserve the audio guide separately?

I may be wrong, but I think that when you purchase an open ticket -- because there is no specific time attached -- you can't also reserve an audioguide in one step, because the audioguide reservations are timed. (Otherwise, how would they know they have enough of them to meet demand at a given time?)

If you want to purchase an open ticket, but you know you'll be entering at a certain time and want to reserve an audioguide, you can do it in a separate step by selecting the "Free Ticket + Audioguide + Reservation Fee" option as shown in the link below:

http://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php?option=com_snapp&view=event&id=26317C10-87A9-220D-15C0-0161B2CC4507&catalogid=5A60FA80-2BBF-6DF6-71F3-0161B2D21C20&lang=en

I may be wrong, but I think that when you purchase an open ticket -- because there is no specific time attached -- you can't also reserve an audioguide in one step, because the audioguide reservations are timed. (Otherwise, how would they know they have enough of them to meet demand at a given time?)

If you want to purchase an open ticket, but you know you'll be entering at a certain time and want to reserve an audioguide, you can do it in a separate step by selecting the "Free Ticket + Audioguide + Reservation Fee" option as shown in the link below:

http://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php?...D21C20&lang=en

Thanks!

Maria