POM to Ft Lauderdale airport 11:45am flight

Chesneygirl

No sense planning for a worst case scenario. Plan for the most likely. And the most likely is that the ship arrives in port 2 hours prior to it's scheduled arrival time (it is only coming from Nassau). And that self walk off starts about 45 minutes before the schedule arrival time.

In July 2016, we were on a 3-day Sky from Miami. Our return to port was delayed because the port was closed.... due to fog. And when the fog lifted, there was a long line of cruise and cargo ships all waiting to get into port. I think that we finally got to dock around 11 am. Then, there was 2200 people trying to get down the gangway and through customs, all screaming about their flights. The majority of people missed their flights (we did) and just went standby on the next flight home.

Lol. I wouldn't even leave my house until 10AM for an 11:45AM flight.

Making an 11:45AM flight getting of a cruise ship at 8AM is so easy it's not even a concern. Even if the ship is a little late and I95 is shut down, STILL easy to make the flight.

Haven guests can also be first off with self-disembark.

Not only is this flight doable, it's very practical and not at all risky.

Not sure what route this guy is taking that makes it 40 miles either. If you are flying internationally, can I book a flight before midnight?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let's have fun with this.

1. Medical Emergency... what kind of medical emergency? How often has this happened, can you provide a percentage of overall cruises that were significantly delayed due to a medical emergency? If the emergency happens on the final evening, wouldn't the ship be steaming faster home, rather than the opposite direction?

2. Ship engine trouble. What flight should OP book based on this one? Is the ship floating at sea without propulsion for a few extra days and in need of a tug? Emergency generators not sufficient? Do you book the 3PM flight or do you book the 11:45AM flight a week from expected arrival just to cover your bases?

3. Crew inspections. This happens often enough. Does everyone on board then miss their flights this day? I would think this would be a major issue, discussed daily, with thousands and thousands of stranded passengers, no?

4. Passenger Jumps Overboard... Seriously? So which flight do you book in case someone decides to end it? Of course, you are hedging that the passenger decides to jump overboard on the final evening, right? Like most people, I certainly factor this one in when booking my flights....

5. Major accident on I95... well, I already answered this one. Non-issue.

The point is, things happen when traveling. Give yourself a little buffer (11:45AM is PLENTY of buffer, several hours) and if a highly unlikely catastrophe happens, you put your big boy pants on, walk up to the airline counter, and book a later flight.... and again, your 1 - 5 is HIGHLY UNLIKELY at all. Then it's highly unlikely even if 1 - 5 happens, that you would be significantly delayed enough to miss your flight... making it all even more highly unlikely. Who plans for highly unlikely scenarios? I mean, it's not like missing a flight is life or death.

I book around 1 or 2 Thanks! But it's certainly unfair to tell people they will absolutely make an early flight, without telling them to have a back-up plan.

And scenarios which could cause them to miss.

Being you are from FLL you should know how crazy the airport security/check-in can be. Been there many times.

But to each their own, I'm not comfortable at all booking a flight before 12:30-1 after a fun cruise.

Too much stress the morning of debarkation for me.

I had the same dilemma last time. I ended up booking the 2pm flight to be safe. We were one of the last off the ship and were still at the airport by Uber at 11am. If we had got off first we could've been at the airport before 10am.