Is there any rhyme or reason for cabin upgrades?

Pier290

I keep hearing people getting cabin upgrades unexpectedly before they sail on Seaside....how, when, why? We are in Aurea aft suite...I'm assuming no upgrade from there would be available...

People booking inside cabins being upgraded to BALCONY cabins is insane to me....HOW DO THE CRUISE LINES DETERMINE WHO THEY UPGRADE?? Any rhyme or reason ??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

I believe the company will match the cabins in your booking close as possible. Of course it will only works if you book two separate cabins at the same time. Some of my bookings has free upgraded cabins. The first case I book two separate inner cabins on different deck. It was a last minute booking with not much free cabins left on the ship. MSC has "corrected" this by upgrading both cabins side-by-side on the same deck in the YC area. The second upgrade was in another booking. Also with two cabins. One Fantastica balcony and another cabin. We couldn't find a second cabin near our first balcony so chose a guaranteed Fantastica inner cabin. That was not a problem for the other couple that was joining us on the cruise. The second cabin could be anywhere on the ship but it turns out that MSC that upgraded the second cabin to a balcony just a few cabins away from us.

However it doesn't work all the time. Once we had a booking with 4 cabins and the cabins were scattered all over the ship, even on different deck. On embarking day we ask at the customer service if it was possible to arrange the cabins more closely but they said it was not possible because the ship was fully booked. This booking was done by a third party TA. The bookings with free cabin upgrade were made at MSC site directly.

We just booked 3 weeksa ago for our cruise on Saturday and got guarantee Bella balconies because of the price per couple, (there are 3 couples) and we got upgraded to Aurea balconies on deck 9 (bigger balconies) still Bella experience but we're all happy with bigger balconies as well as being close to each other. This is our first time on MSC and have never been upgraded on any other line we've sailed.

I keep hearing people getting cabin upgrades unexpectedly before they sail on Seaside....how, when, why? We are in Aurea aft suite...I'm assuming no upgrade from there would be available...??

We were upgraded from a Aurea balcony to YC. It wasn't on Seaside though.

I keep hearing people getting cabin upgrades unexpectedly before they sail on Seaside....how, when, why? We are in Aurea aft suite...I'm assuming no upgrade from there would be available...

People booking inside cabins being upgraded to BALCONY cabins is insane to me....HOW DO THE CRUISE LINES DETERMINE WHO THEY UPGRADE?? Any rhyme or reason ??

For 15 years I am cruising I had update offer once from Carnival. I had to pay 200 pp extra and cabin was near elevator so I refused it.

I got in on the Divina where they pick your Bella balcony. They assigned me a fantastica balcony. Not too happy as it's closer to the front and has the cove balcony on the 9th floor. I thought I'd get the full glass balcony. =[ Sad face. Does anyone have any comments about this type of balcony?