Grills upgrade question

Minnie29

I have already booked a cruise on Queen Mary next year in a balcony cabin.

Would it be possible to pay for an upgrade to a Princess Grill suite with the upgrade deal they have on at the moment of does it have to be new bookings only for that offer?

I think you will find it is for new bookings only. You can always try to get the new upgrade fare by contacting whoever you booked with. Have a look at the T&C on the fares that now interest you.

Cunard works in mysterious ways. Just the other day, we noticed that the Princess Grills cabin we'd booked some time ago is now being offered at a substantially lower price. When we asked to rebook the same cabin at the new lower price, we were told that this would require forfeiting the non-refundable part of our deposit, and giving up the promotional on-board credit that was part of our booking. But: as an alternative, we were offered an upgrade to Queen's Grill at no additional cost, with no deposit or OBC forfeiture. (We opted for the upgrade.)

Minnie, any answer we give is just guesswork. You will have to phone them tomorrow and ask.

I was surprised recently when a friend in the UK was able to change his entire cruise to one four months later. I think they'd already paid the full amount when they decided the cruise was too close to the birth of their first grandchild and they would rather not be away. Perhaps it helped that the new cruise was more expensive than the old one.

So, it's a possibility but there's no guarantee.

No they will not upgrade you at the price of offer today. I have booked a RT on QM2 for November 2019 which I booked onboard in October 2017. Currently the offer for a PG is £2699 so I rang Cunard and asked and was told if I wanted to upgrade I would have to pay the price of PG on the day I booked which was just over £3500. The only suggestion they gave was to cancel my original booking lose the deposit and then rebook at the lower price.

Minnie, any answer we give is just guesswork. You will have to phone them tomorrow and ask.

I was surprised recently when a friend in the UK was able to change his entire cruise to one four months later. I think they'd already paid the full amount when they decided the cruise was too close to the birth of their first grandchild and they would rather not be away. Perhaps it helped that the new cruise was more expensive than the old one.

So, it's a possibility but there's no guarantee.

If you book a Cunard fare in the UK it is in the T&Cs of booking that you are allowed to cancel your booking for a £100 admin fee as long as its before 90 days of sail date and rebook a cruise within 12 months of original sale date as long as new cruise is of a higher price. This does not allow you to cancel and rebook the same cruise at a lower price or upgrade on current cruise at lower price than what the price was when you booked.

Cunard works in mysterious ways. Just the other day, we noticed that the Princess Grills cabin we'd booked some time ago is now being offered at a substantially lower price. When we asked to rebook the same cabin at the new lower price, we were told that this would require forfeiting the non-refundable part of our deposit, and giving up the promotional on-board credit that was part of our booking. But: as an alternative, we were offered an upgrade to Queen's Grill at no additional cost, with no deposit or OBC forfeiture. (We opted for the upgrade.)

Exactly the same happened to us last year, and it turned into our best cruise ever!

As Majorom10 said, any upgrades are usually the difference involved on the day you booked.