Specific time frame northbound vs southbound

KAY_LANE

I have read several other posts/reasons for north vs south bound Alaskan cruises but wanted to specifically ask the question with the time frame we are planning for our trip...

My husband and I (mid twenties) are planning to go to Alaska for our anniversary in 2019. Our anniversary is May 27 and we would like to be on vacation for the actual day + it is Memorial Day so including that day in our trip is one less day we have to take off work. We like to enjoy nature and hike, or maybe ATV tour, want to see wildlife if possible (of course it’s unpredictable) and also love to eat local food and explore new places and learn about the culture and history there.

We are thinking we will do a 7 day cruise and then plan our own 3-4 day land tour (I’ve heard planning your own is better than doing the land portion offered by the cruises most times and we are fairly experienced travelers). We are currently looking at Princess cruises because I’ve heard really great things about their Alaskan cruises

We plan to start our trip ~May 24/25 and stay until ~June 4/5, no matter which way we sail so that we can include our anniversary

If we cruise second and go southbound, the itinerary includes both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay National Park. The northbound itinerary has all the same ports except College Fjord instead of Hubbard Glacier (still includes Glacier Bay Nat’l Park)...Sounds like Hubbard Glacier is probably better than College Fjord, but I’m not really sure...?

I have also heard Denali National Park isn’t fully open (you can’t go to Eielson) until June 1. And I figure there may be a few more things that are time dependent on our specific schedule.

I’ve also heard it’s nice to do land first and cruise south since the end of the trip is less “stress/go” And conversely heard it’s easier to get over jet lag (we live in central times zone) on the boat so to go north...But we will take into account getting to see more things before these reasons and lean on the fact that we’re pretty young and can run on less sleep and much coffee ;)

Thanks in advance everyone!

We did land first (Canadian Rockies) with different hotels each night, etc. before our NB cruise on Radiance from Vancouver to Seward. Based on that experience I recommend land first so you can settle in on the ship for the remaining days of the trip. Hubbard Glacier was stunning. We did not go to Glacier Bay on our cruise.

Wesley

In the first half of the cruise season I think it's smarter to cruise north, and give the weather and snow conditions in the interior as much time to improve as possible. Missing Hubbard Glacier would be a shame, but sometimes the May sailings can't get all that close to the glacier face because of icebergs and floe ice making it hazardous. If you sail on Princess, you'd be landing in Whittier, from which you can take small-boat excursions to see umpteen tidewater and hanging glaciers, so there's no way you'd be short on glacier viewing on the trip, even if it didn't include Hubbard.

If you only have three or four days for a land tour, honestly I'd think twice before committing to Denali. It's really a minimum three-day affair - one to get there, one to visit the interior of the park, and one to get back. With those same three days you could do some terrific touring in other areas - Seward and the Kenai Fjords, Hatcher Pass and the Independence Mine, a walk on the Matanuska Glacier, or even a drive down to Homer on stunning Kachemak Bay. Or you could do a flightseeing trip on a float plane from Lake Hood in Anchorage - up to Denali if it's visible (which is a 50-50 proposition; it's often shrouded in clouds) or out over various glaciers or volcanoes... lots of options.

We'll board Radiance on May 24th in Seward, cruise overnight (400 miles), then cruise Hubbard Glacier for a couple of hours on 25th. Then do Juneau, Skagway (still no excursions planned), Icy Straight Point (Glacier Winds Charters), Ketchikan (Island Wings), cruise inside passage, end at Vancouver. We had a pre-cruise land tour booked with RCI but after doing the math, $4,000 goes way, way farther with a DIY land tour. Rent car in Anchorage, 2 nights at Talkeetna (Talkeetna Air Taxi - Grand Denali w/glacier landing), 2 nights at Denali (Jeep Excursion 100+ mile), maybe do the cheap non narrated bus up to mile 55 (non narrated), 2 nights Alyeska/Girdwood 5 hr Prince William Sound Glacier Cruise, drop rent car at Anchorage, bus trip to Seward - Seward Windsong then board on 24th. Having the rent car is much more freedom to explore our thoughts than the RCI land tours.

One more thing. If you are really set on spending some time in Denali, don't let the Eielson thing stop you.The drive from Anchorage to Denali is 5 hours if you don't sight-see. On May 27 you have 19:10 hours of daylight at Denali (Mt. McKinley) - you're young - who needs sleep?

We are sailing on Radiance of the seas north bound. I know you said Princess, but take a look at Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas.

If you do choose Princess, specifically the one with College Fjords, I can tell you it is gorgeous. That is where we went on our first Alaskan cruise on May 17. 2006.

What ever way you do it, start planning now. It takes a while to sort through all the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You didn't indicate where you're coming from, so here's another consideration ....

Some people prefer to get the long flight out of the way at the beginning of their trip, so they do a SB cruise, with a shorter flight home at the end.

As for Denali, Eielson Visitor Center is definitely a better destination , but if Denali is a priority for you, the Toklat shuttle is still a good option. Toklat is the beginning of prime bear viewing territory.

In my opinion with your dates. Absolutely cruise north and get to Eielson. Significantly superior with an actual building. Princess uses Whittier which is more favorable going to Denali upon getting off the ship. Do be conservative with transit times. It’s not freeway driving construction is a given. .

This is based on Denali being a priority. Be sure to fully determine that before you get into any planning.