Xpress Pass

magsmum42

I am completing the Xpress Pass for a forthcoming cruise on Celebrity. I am from the UK and I would like advice as to which box is best to tick in respect of Non US issued Mastercard or Visa Cardholders.

The top box states -I choose to pay my on board charges in the currency of my card. I choose to use your currency conversion program.

The bottom box states - I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my on board charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating Celebrity Cruises currency conversion program.

The top box states something about adding a 3% international currency conversion fee, so I think the bottom box is better, but I may be wrong.

Any suggestions please.

I am completing the Xpress Pass for a forthcoming cruise on Celebrity. I am from the UK and I would like advice as to which box is best to tick in respect of Non US issued Mastercard or Visa Cardholders.

The top box states -I choose to pay my on board charges in the currency of my card. I choose to use your currency conversion program.

The bottom box states - I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my on board charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating Celebrity Cruises currency conversion program.

The top box states something about adding a 3% international currency conversion fee, so I think the bottom box is better, but I may be wrong.

Any suggestions please.

Always best to allow your CC issuer to convert. If you are in the U.K. then the Halifax Clarity card is a good card to use.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any suggestions please.

Bottom box so your credit card provider will convert US Dollars to £ Sterling. Cheaper than Celebrity conversion even if you get charges for Foreign transactions.

Yes, always have your CC card convert AND use a card that does not charge foreign transaction fees (if you have one).

Some people (not saying anyone on this thread) think foreign transaction fees have something to do with the currency - it doesn't. You could have the provider (in this case Celebrity) do the conversion to your card's currency (which you shouldn't as recommended by many above) and still get hit with a foreign transaction fee. This would be a double whammy!!

Mike

I agree with others that you should always select the credit card conversion.

Earlier this year we were in Europe for a month and most stores offer the option of USD billing or Euros. Found that the billing exchange rate that the stores offered were hiked up and were just another way of making extra profits.

Always have your own credit card convert.

I'm less convinced on this generalization, but with US dollars (so on Celebrity) this is quite sure. On smaller and less know countries, sometime it is better to have the bill in US dollars (so their conversion): you are sure what you pay (so also as anti-scam), local banks have probably lower fee trading dollar, then your bank trading the nearly unknown currency.

So on Celebrity (but if you have a very bad bank deal) let your credit card to convert currencies; on ports of call... it is your call.

And in this thread I hate the CC: it is Credit Card, Cruise Critics or Celebrity Cruises? :D