Floods in Galveston

PAPERBKWRITER

We have a 14 Journey cruise from Galveston on the 16th. The city is flooded now and they call for rain every day up to our departure day...SO, what happened to all those people last weekend who couldn't get to the ship. My wife is physically challenged and could never walk 2 or 3 blocks in 2' of contaminated water. Besides us having 100#'s of luggage...Does Carnival give a credit or would insurance cover the cruise?

We’re also on your Journeys Cruise on the 16th. The island was only flooded on Monday afternoon, just as the Valor was loading. Galveston is an island, and as soon as the rain stopped the island drained out. By the time the Valor left, the roads were just wet. It pretty much rains every day, but it isn’t a constant rain, it’s usually hit and miss showers. No worries.

We’re also on your Journeys Cruise on the 16th. The island was only flooded on Monday afternoon, just as the Valor was loading. Galveston is an island, and as soon as the rain stopped the island drained out. By the time the Valor left, the roads were just wet. It pretty much rains every day, but it isn’t a constant rain, it’s usually hit and miss showers. No worries.

The streets were flooded by 9:30am or perhaps even earlier as we sat on lido and watched. I was up at 6:30 and it was pouring for hours. We were off the ship by 10:30am and it was a complete mess and everyone was on their own. The should of opened up the other terminal to allow pax time for the water to recede. Its as if the city of Galveston had never experienced this. I saw one police officer outside the terminal on our trek off the island.

The streets were flooded by 9:30am or perhaps even earlier as we sat on lido and watched. I was up at 6:30 and it was pouring for hours. We were off the ship by 10:30am and it was a complete mess and everyone was on their own. The should of opened up the other terminal to allow pax time for the water to recede. Its as if the city of Galveston had never experienced this. I saw one police officer outside the terminal on our trek off the island.

What do you mean by "opening the other terminal"? Moving the ship to a different location? Maybe I'm misunderstanding because I don't know how this would help. Most of the streets were temporarily flooded so even if people got off the ship, they had no where to go until the water drained.

What do you mean by "opening the other terminal"? Moving the ship to a different location? Maybe I'm misunderstanding because I don't know how this would help. Most of the streets were temporarily flooded so even if people got off the ship, they had no where to go until the water drained.

Terminal two is next door to terminal one. It sat idle as Valor was the only ship in port that day (docked at terminal one). We could of walked to terminal two in less than 5 minutes and had some place to wait for a few hours while the water receded. That walkway was not flooded. However, the streets were big time.

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/maps/galveston-cruise-port-map-large.jpg

http://cruiseshipcaptain.wikidot.com/caribbean-port-of-departure-galveston

Terminal two is next door to terminal one. It sat idle as Valor was the only ship in port that day (docked at terminal one). We could of walked to terminal two in less than 5 minutes and had some place to wait for a few hours while the water receded. That walkway was not flooded. However, the streets were big time.

That probably would have required some kind of paperwork or having customs move over to the other terminal. We all know how fast the government works. You were probably still better off doing it the original way! :')

Welcome to South Texas. What you witnessed is a near daily thing here.

That probably would have required some kind of paperwork or having customs move over to the other terminal. We all know how fast the government works. You were probably still better off doing it the original way! :')

Im referring to going through customs and getting off at terminal one (like we did), walking next door to terminal two and being allowed to wait out the high water in the lounge area that was empty.

More than a dozen cruises from Galveston and Ive never seen anything even close to that. I watch quite a few sail aways online as well. It was a first for us.

Unless another storm stalls over the island you'll be fine. You didn't mention your route to the port but suggest you avoid Harborside drive if there is any kind of rain. Cruising during the peak of hurricane season is risky anywhere along the gulf coast.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

More than a dozen cruises from Galveston and Ive never seen anything even close to that. I watch quite a few sail aways online as well. It was a first for us.

When you live it here, you get use to it. So funny watching to local news they run out during every major thunder storm, report on the flooded roadways. They never studied their history that Houston area was built from drained swamps. Nature always tries to reclaim what it once had.

Exactly. We experience this alot, people just don't understand. The streets are flooded one minute, the next it's like it was never there. We've had in Houston and Galveston about 4-5 of these this year?

If the forecast calls for rain go early and camp out.

We have a 14 Journey cruise from Galveston on the 16th. The city is flooded now and they call for rain every day up to our departure day...SO, what happened to all those people last weekend who couldn't get to the ship. My wife is physically challenged and could never walk 2 or 3 blocks in 2' of contaminated water. Besides us having 100#'s of luggage...Does Carnival give a credit or would insurance cover the cruise?

Oh, and check again. The city is not flooded now, that was Monday

A good reason NEVER to cruise from Galveston. Floods, fog etc.

Thanks for all the good information...We have had our share of terminal problems over the years including Hurricane Sandy (NY) when my wife tripped over a small suitcase in the baggage section when they were on auxiliary power. She broke her hand and really messed up her teeth, I had insurance but the people at the terminal never turned in the accident report so we got zilch....Lesson learned.

When Carnival Freedom returns on Saturday morning, will those passengers encounter their parked cars having been flooded? I am hoping because they seem to have regular street flooding, the parking is all raised, in ramps, etc.

Short of direct hit hurricane, the parking lots are safe from flooding. Even with direct hit, most are fine.

Except it's not. Galveston has not seen street flooding like Monday outside of a major storm in decades.

Galveston is the 4th largest cruise terminal in the US in one of the fastest growing states in the country.

Everyone here knows that Galveston received 11” of rain Monday morning in 5 hours flooding the streets. The streets drained off in about 5 hours.

If you cruise during hurricane season you should expect unexpected rain storms.

New Flash Carnival doesn’t control the weather.

Sent from my iPad using Forums