Floods in Galveston

PAPERBKWRITER

Everyone here knows that Galveston received 11” of rain Monday morning in 5 hours flooding the streets. The streets drained off in about 5 hours.

If you cruise during hurricane season you should expect unexpected rain storms.

New Flash Carnival doesn’t control the weather.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I didn't sense that the OP was expecting Carnival would play God and part the waters! I think he was just asking what is the likely scenario in the event that the flooding continues. No need to be mean about it.

I didn't sense that the OP was expecting Carnival would play God and part the waters! I think he was just asking what is the likely scenario in the event that the flooding continues. No need to be mean about it.

My point don’t cruise during hurricane season and be surprised that it floods if he he limited in regards to walking their are better times to cruise.

There is a good reason the bottom cruise prices out of Galveston are right around Labor Day, its the top of hurricane season.

Im one who lost their car. I was parked in EZCruiseparking lot when that hurricane took a direct hit and never saw my car again. That hurricane was about 10 years ago, was supposed to keep going toward El Paso, Carnival wouldnt let anyone cancel. We left Sunday, the hurricane hit friday night and made a last minute turn in the last 24 hours if anyone remembers.

Rain?? forgetaboutit. I guess i have little sympathy i lost my car lol. I know rain was inconvenient, but i got off in NOLA (we departed galveston) and rented a car, and drove to Dallas and called my insurance company. It was sure a mess.

Ive been on ships where disembarkation was delayed because the ramps were broken and then they WALKED us down to the bottom of the ship to get off the ship. The other choice was to continue to wait and we already waited a hour or two, but that could have been out of NOLA. I go out of both ports often. ... and Im still crusing.

When i say they walked us down i mean we lugged our suitcase down from i think deck 5 to deck 1 where the door is that you get off in cozumel for intance...bump bump bump down 5 flights of stairs. or keep on waiting for the ramp to get fixed.

my new cruiser roomie had booked a flight out of Hobby at 11 am, i said we are priority and chances are good you can make the flight, she cancelled and rebooked for the next day and spending the night at a hotel near Hobby. I guess I scared her but better safe than sorry, a 11 am flight out of Houston, even with me being priority is chancy.

There is a good reason the bottom cruise prices out of Galveston are right around Labor Day, its the top of hurricane season.

Im one who lost their car. I was parked in EZCruiseparking lot when that hurricane took a direct hit and never saw my car again. That hurricane was about 10 years ago, was supposed to keep going toward El Paso, Carnival wouldnt let anyone cancel. We left Sunday, the hurricane hit friday night and made a last minute turn in the last 24 hours if anyone remembers.

Rain?? forgetaboutit. I guess i have little sympathy i lost my car lol. I know rain was inconvenient, but i got off in NOLA (we departed galveston) and rented a car, and drove to Dallas and called my insurance company. It was sure a mess.

Ive been on ships where disembarkation was delayed because the ramps were broken and then they WALKED us down to the bottom of the ship to get off the ship. The other choice was to continue to wait and we already waited a hour or two, but that could have been out of NOLA. I go out of both ports often. ... and Im still crusing.

When i say they walked us down i mean we lugged our suitcase down from i think deck 5 to deck 1 where the door is that you get off in cozumel for intance...bump bump bump down 5 flights of stairs. or keep on waiting for the ramp to get fixed.

my new cruiser roomie had booked a flight out of Hobby at 11 am, i said we are priority and chances are good you can make the flight, she cancelled and rebooked for the next day and spending the night at a hotel near Hobby. I guess I scared her but better safe than sorry, a 11 am flight out of Houston, even with me being priority is chancy.

So do you still park at EZ Cruise especially if you think there might be a chance of heavy rain, hurricane? If not where do you prefer to park? We leave tomorrow and are booked at EZ Cruise as we always have great parking/experience there but have not had to worry about flooding before.

So do you still park at EZ Cruise especially if you think there might be a chance of heavy rain, hurricane? If not where do you prefer to park? We leave tomorrow and are booked at EZ Cruise as we always have great parking/experience there but have not had to worry about flooding before.

We parked indoors with Galveston Park N Cruise. While the streets and ally were flooded 1'-2' deep, our car was elevated another 2' and dry in the green bldg. We got off the ship about 10:30.

We have a 14 Journey cruise from Galveston on the 16th. The city is flooded now and they call for rain every day up to our departure day...SO, what happened to all those people last weekend who couldn't get to the ship. My wife is physically challenged and could never walk 2 or 3 blocks in 2' of contaminated water. Besides us having 100#'s of luggage...Does Carnival give a credit or would insurance cover the cruise?

FYI

The tropical storm in the Atlantic (which is POSSIBLY future hurricane Issac) MIGHT be heading for the Gulf of Mexico. To check on weather for next weekend, the best information will be at Space City Weather.

11 inches of rain in 5 hours will stress ANY drainage system! We tend to cruise during hurricane season (and every other season except summer), and have had our itinerary change once. Galveston drains quickly. Oh and yes, we are scheduled to cruise this hurricane season (9/30 on the Vista)!

Welcome to South Texas. What you witnessed is a near daily thing here.

BS

What was that long period of time called drought.

That does not happen daily .

The rain a couple of weeks ago was like a perfect storm .

Yes Mother Nature does have a mind of her own .

It’s not always rain .

Besides water drains off quickly into the bay .