many empty cabins on equinox dec 22 sailing

healthworker

I am trying to figure out why there is so much cabin availability on equinox for the xmas sailing,especially balconies which are going for quite a low price. Is it because san juan is an evening stop? perhaps because st marten and st Thomas hit xmas and boxing day and are still recovering from hurricanes?

any one have any idea? thanks!

I am trying to figure out why there is so much cabin availability on equinox for the xmas sailing

any one have any idea? thanks!

I believe it is because I am on the cruise, and folks do not want to sail with me. :p

We are on a B2B cruise Nov/Dec and exactly the same applies, masses of cabins still unsold in the region of 25%.

Prices have began falling over the last couple of months but have really picked up over the last few weeks. The prices are yet to fall to the pre-March prices as it was then that Celebrity hiked their prices across the board to silly levels.

Has their pricing policy come home to roost ?, hope our cruises sail under capacity, maybe then we'll get a sun bed, LOL.

We did the exact itinerary 2 weeks ago. We paid $1500 less for a AQ2 with all 4 perks and $150 refundable OBC. I know holiday cruises historically have higher prices but X may have been overly optimistic about how much people would pay.

In 2012 we booked back to back on the Silhouette, Christmas and New Years. We booked on November 17, 2012.

There were so many open cabins we were able to book- 3 Aqua Class (A2) cabins for both weeks, same cabins (no cabin changes required).

New Years cruise, our family had 3 additional cabins and all were adjacent to one another with the exception of 1.

In summary, on November 17, we were able to book 5 Aqua Class (A2) cabins, all in a row, because the ship was wide open.

NO huge discount either.

Both weeks included: Pre-paid gratuities, $200 OBC and $70 shore excursion

Eastern Caribbean 12/23-12/30

$3903

Western Caribbean 12/30/-01/06

$3579 back to back discount

$3647 non back to back

Having said this, we have most recently sailed the Equinox booking in March '18 for June '18. Both Eastern and Western had similar prices, however there was much less availability for all category of cabins on the Eastern Caribbean sailings.

Booking in July '18 for June '19 on Equinox, all prices for Western and Eastern Caribbean were the same.

There are currently no S2's available (sold out) on the June 8 Eastern Caribbean sailing and a handful of S1's. Penthouses are sold out as well.

Just priced an S1 to compare, and with perks, the price for one of our S2's booked in July with no perks (prepaid gratuties and Cruise Care only- will buy the classic beverage package on board for that cabin) with 4 perks, the price TODAY is $2700 more than our S2. The two- S2's we booked- with 4 perks and cruise care- were $1570 cheaper than the S1's still available on the same sailing.

Just like booking airfare, book when the price is comfortable for you, availability is limited. Can you afford to be shut out?

FWIW, we no longer cruise over Christmas and New Years because we can do 12 nights (3 hotel rooms, all inclusive) in Aruba, including B.C. airfare, for much less than Aqua Class on a Celebrity cruise. LOL, Dad pays and won't cruise without at least Blu. ;) The bonus is having more room to spread out and swimming pools which are not standing room only. ;);)

thanks for your responses! arubalisa,those were some great prices.

It may be that celebrity is not as family oriented,and people rather cruise other lines over the holidays with family as one of you mentioned.

RC and carnival both had lots going on during xmas/ny --have taken them both in past over holidays.

We were considering carnival conquest vs equinox --conquest was about $300 more for a balcony pp (I know it is one day longer),obc more generous with celebrity, so it was a no brainer for us.!