Is there such a thing as a 'BEHIND THE SCENES TOUR' On a cruise

sidekick180

I am booked on an Azura cruise (A911) May 2019 and I'm sure that somewhere on this forum I briefly read that it's possible to book a behind the scenes tour while on a cruise.

I can't seem to find that post any more, so my question is: Do these tours exist?

If they do, has anyone on here been on one, what areas do they include, are they worthwhile doing and roughly how much do they cost.

I would really like to get as much information on this as possible so I can consider booking one well in advance, rather than wait until I am on the ship and then find out it's fully booked up.

Thanks

According to the P&O website, yes you can - but you will need to stump up £75 per person! Search "can i take a tour of the ship whilst on a cruise" and then click on the "Help & Advice" tab and it is the first article.

According to the P&O website, yes you can - but you will need to stump up £75 per person! Search "can i take a tour of the ship whilst on a cruise" and then click on the "Help & Advice" tab and it is the first article.

Wow! that's a lot of cash for a wander around the ship. I can't imagine it being that fascinating to justify this cost, especially if it was me and the missus wanting to do it. I will have a look on the website but doubt if I will book it at that price. Thanks anyway for your input.

My husband did this tour on, I think, Oceana and thought it worth the money. It took most of a morning, went to all areas of the ship, behind the scenes in the theatre, through the dressing rooms, talked to the Headliners, obviously to the galley, only place they didn't go was to the engine room itself although they spoke to the Chief Engineer. The tour ended up with the Captain with drinks and, according to my husband, wonderful canapes. I didn't do it as I'm not too good at staying on my feet for a long time. They were given mementos of the tour, can't remember exactly what, photo of them all with the Captain and as a follow up we got invited to the Captain's cocktail party. He was a bit worried about the price as to whether it would be worth it but said that it certainly was.

Wow! that's a lot of cash for a wander around the ship. I can't imagine it being that fascinating to justify this cost, especially if it was me and the missus wanting to do it. I will have a look on the website but doubt if I will book it at that price. Thanks anyway for your input.

Yes it is £75 and you have to be very quick as the places are snapped up very quickly. It is a long tour covering everything and finishing up on the bridge and drinkies with the captain.

Never met I person who had been on the tour who did not consider it excellent value.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello,

I have done this tour twice, once on Britannia & on Ventura (only because it was a special cruise for my parents & they weren't with us when we did it on Britannia).

Unfortunately, you cannot book this in advance & they only normally offer it on cruises over 7 nights duration.

Yes it is £75pp & in my personal opinion it is very worthwhile as you get to see areas of the ship you would not ordinarily see.

We saw the following: -

Theatre & met the Cast - had a picture taken on stage with the whole tour group; this is normally the 'free' photo.

The Medical Centre & had a very informative talk by the Senior Doctor

The Mooring Deck (get the see the anchors etc)

The Engine Control Room (the men of the group loved this)

The Print Room (where they prepare the daily Horizon Paper)

The Waste Disposal Rooms (you may not think very interesting, but when you hear how your cabin steward has to sort through your waste & find out what the ship can't dispose of, it makes you think!)

The Store Rooms (OMG all that food!)

The Galley (we also met with the Executive Chef)

The Bridge

Along the way you normally stop for drinks & some chocolates in the dining room and then after the tour you get a sit down with the Captain & more drinks & nibbles. I have to say on both occasions the Capitan would have stayed & talked to us all day & was more than happy to answer any questions put to him. However, he had to pop off to marry someone!!

Depending on how good your photographer is (the one on Britannia was better!) you may get your photo taken in the Engine Control Room, The Galley, with the Executive Chef & on the Bridge with the Captain.

I'm sure it's a logistical nightmare for the staff as at the end of the day they are still working around you, but everyone makes you feel so welcome.

Upon return to our stateroom, we each received (from memory) a signed letter from the Captain, a lapel badge & an apron with 'Behind the Scenes Tour' on it.

What I would say is that if you are considering booking it, enquire at Reception on Embarkation day, as despite the amount it gets booked very quickly.

Just a word of warning, there is a lot of standing around, you must wear trousers & flat shoes, you are accompanied by 2 Security Staff at all times. You are not allowed to take your camera or mobile phone & will be searched & scanned by Security prior to the tour commencing. If like my Father you need to carry a GTN spray etc, then that's fine, but just warn them in advance.

I hope this helps.

Joan

We booked this on the Britannia transatlantic last year, but due to VERY strong winds after leaving the Azores it had to be cancelled. Slight upside was that we got a refund and the offer to visit the bridge when things had settled down. Even just a visit to the bridge was fascinating, Capt Brown very informative and there's so much you don't realise just about this aspect. My favourite is that there's a backup bridge on board should disaster strike the main bridge. We also still got a free photo. I'm definitely going to try the full tour again next time!

Others have answered the specifics, but I have done these tours a few times and they are excellent, especially to kill some time on a sea day. You have to be pretty fit as there’s a lot of walking and standing. The thing that impresses me is that P&O turns out all the senior staff for this tour, so you very much feel like VIP guests and you have full access to the ships top team and can ask questions. Yes it’s quite expensive but they sell out quickly and there’s usually a waiting list (sometimes they add another if there’s demand). I would say that, if you can afford it then it’s worth it.

We have done this on Oceana (FABULOUS experience with the lovely Captain Willard), on Britannia with nice Captain Brown when she was new and last year on Ventura when we were disappointed.

If you've not done this before bite the bullet and go for it! Sometimes they do not advertise it though so we always go to Reception and ask them. They usually put your name down.

On Oceana we had a brilliant experience and then spent 45mins on the Bridge with the Captain, time to have a photo with him, and then another hour in his Ready Room (is that the phrase or is that Star Trek?) where we all asked questions and the Captain helped staff serving us canapés and champagne. It was amazing.

The tour on Britannia was really good too and it was an superb experience to be on the bridge of Britannia. Paul Brown and his Dept Captain were very good hosts, we had photos and he chatted with us all afterwards (with nibbles and champagne) in a room set aside for a good hour.

Ventura - mmmm. I suppose on this one the staff and crew were fabulous but the Captain only spent about 10 minutes in the Bridge with us, leaving the rest of the time to a junior Officer(who was lovely). We had no individual photos with the Captain. Did not warm to him at all. Nibbles etc were served in the Glass House afterwards. I think it said more about the Captain than the tour to be honest. The member of the crew showing us around was brilliant.

You will get freebies as well as part of the experience --- nice memories too.

We are on Azura in April for the first time and will probably book again for the last sea day (we imagine).

:)

Thank you all for your very informative replies and it's clear to see that you all definitely felt it was worth the money, apart from one person on Ventura. Mind you, I'm not a big fan of Ventura right now, and when we were on it in May this year I was not overly impressed by the captain.

Not sure whether or not to book this because my partner may not be able to manage all the walking and standing around. I probably wouldn't feel right going on this tour without her. Might change my mind by the time the cruise comes around. Thank you all again.

Not sure whether or not to book this because my partner may not be able to manage all the walking and standing around. I probably wouldn't feel right going on this tour without her. Might change my mind by the time the cruise comes around. Thank you all again.

My wife is a wheelchair user, so is unable to do this tour, and she has been more than happy for me to do it on my own. She is happy to bury her head in a book on sea days, whereas I need to have things to do or see!

We did it last year on Ventura and loved it. Big Foot sums it up very well and that is what we saw too. We also got a goodie bag at the end which was lovely. We went to Reception on the day we boarded and asked to put our names on the list. We then went down when we saw it mentioned in the Horizon and reminded them.

Thank you all for your very informative replies and it's clear to see that you all definitely felt it was worth the money, apart from one person on Ventura. Mind you, I'm not a big fan of Ventura right now, and when we were on it in May this year I was not overly impressed by the captain.

When my husband and I did the tour on Britannia earlier this year we really enjoyed it and there were quite a few men on their own so I don't think you would feel out of place if your wife didn't accompany you