Golden princess connecting balconies?

GREGS1GIRL

We have 3 rooms booked on the Golden for an Alaskan Cruise. I wondered if we would be able to have the partitions removed so that it would make one large balcony we could all be on without having to use main stateroom doors?

As long as the 3 cabins are not separated by a fire proof door, the answer is that the cabin steward can unlock the small doors between the balconies, allowing everyone to move between the balconies. Please, please, so those doors do not bang, make sure they are properly secured. It is not like having one nice long balcony, the passages are small, but you don't have to go out into the hallway to get the next cabin.

If you look at the deck plans you may be able to ascertain whether the cabins have any fire proof door issues or not. Or if you share the cabin numbers, I will be happy to take a look for you.

As long as the 3 cabins are not separated by a fire proof door, the answer is that the cabin steward can unlock the small doors between the balconies, allowing everyone to move between the balconies. Please, please, so those doors do not bang, make sure they are properly secured. It is not like having one nice long balcony, the passages are small, but you don't have to go out into the hallway to get the next cabin.

If you look at the deck plans you may be able to ascertain whether the cabins have any fire proof door issues or not. Or if you share the cabin numbers, I will be happy to take a look for you.

Thanks for your offer to help. I know the passages aren't very big just wondered if we'd be able to pass through if we are all sitting outside on each of of our balconies.

We are in C718, C722 and C726

Looks like that will be possible. Fire doors are well forward of your staterooms. Have a great time.

On other notes, what are your thoughts on sailing the Golden Princess to Alaska? We have been on several Princess cruises but this will be a first on Princess for our parents. They have sailed Carnival and Royal Caribbean. We won't them to be wowed as this trip will be quite expensive for them-a once in a lifetime for sure.

I'm concerned because I've read many negative reviews.

I also selected Princess and the itinerary I did because I've read it's a must to go to Glacier Bay National Park.

Coral was my preferred ship but it did not match dates my husband could work with for his job. I'm second guessing, if Royal would be a better choice.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

We have 3 rooms booked on the Golden for an Alaskan Cruise. I wondered if we would be able to have the partitions removed so that it would make one large balcony we could all be on without having to use main stateroom doors?

The partitions are not removed. There is a small 24 inch door on the cabin side of the partition that opens and latches. The cabin steward can open the door. Because of age some latches don't work very well, so bring along some sort of ties. You will not have one large balcony. It will be three balconies with access between them.

On other notes, what are your thoughts on sailing the Golden Princess to Alaska?

My sister is getting off the ship today. She mentioned many wonderful things and never mentioned anything negative on the ship. I don't think she noticed any problems. I didn't specifically ask and didn't tell her before she left of the reviews I had read.

So, both the Coral and Golden are "older" ships. Neither have the bells and whistles associated with some of the RCL or newer Carnival ships, but that is one of the reasons the DH and I love them. They have an air of relaxed elegance and serenity about them. They do not carry the passenger load of a mega ship. This is a huge plus in our minds.

IMHO an Alaskan cruise is different from other itineraries in that it is all about the scenery and outdoor experiences. I hope you have wonderful weather to fully enjoy this aspect of the cruise. Careful consideration and planning for your port experiences has a lot to do with maxing out the memories on an Alaskan cruise, so do get "out of town" in the ports. They are all small towns, some smaller than others, and there is so much to see and do out of town.

Also, I think Princess does a great job with onboard Alaskan experiences, between bringing the National Park rangers onboard for Glacier Bay day, the Puppies in the Piazza opportunity, various lecturers and some entertainment they feature in some ports. Beyond that, I find the Alaska cruises to be great for family time.

The partitions are not removed. There is a small 24 inch door on the cabin side of the partition that opens and latches. The cabin steward can open the door. Because of age some latches don't work very well, so bring along some sort of ties. You will not have one large balcony. It will be three balconies with access between them.

Here is a photo of what it looks like with the divider opened between two balconies on the Coral. It is just a narrow door, but it was nice to be able to converse with our friends and go from one cabin to another without going into the hallway. This is one aspect of sailing with Princess that I enjoyed. We had hoped to do the same on a couple of NCL cruises, but were told it was not allowed. :(

IMG_2598.JPG