Attire question

We use 2 1/2 gallon ziplock bags, place the garment in the bag, squish it, and zip it shut. Keeps everything from getting wrinkled and keeps everything dry in case the bag sits out in a rainstorm on the airport tarmac - been there, done that.

I also use one of the bags for my sport coat. I fold it just like a dress shirt, slip it into one of the ziplock bags, and squish it. When we get on the ship, I hang it up, spritz the folds with a little spray bottle we use for that purpose, and let it hang in the bathroom during a nice steamy shower. It hangs our nicely and I'm ready to go.

Sounds good, thanks for the tip!

How do you pack your sport coat without messing it up if you don’t bring a garment bag where it’s packed away neatly on the hanger? We’ve always brought a garment bag that fit multiple jackets and dresses on past cruises, but trying to avoid that this time so it’s easier to carry off our luggage when we return.

I just fold it neatly in the suitcase.

But a lot has to do with having it made of quality materials.

We put my husband's sport coat in a dry cleaning bag before placing it in the suitcase. Works great.

As for the original question, on our Anthem of the Seas cruise last year I was expecting people to dress a bit more formally. This was a 9 day New England/Canada cruise and attracted many adults of a certain age and very few children. The first formal night saw a few gowns, but mostly cocktail dresses and sport coats. On the second formal night I was surprised at how many didn't dress at all. I mostly cruise Carnival and judging by comments on this board I expected Royal cruisers to be a more elegant group. Um....no. It's the exact same crowd.

Thank you for that info! I never had a problem cruising on Carnival. I don’t see why it should have a bad reputation. I also wouldn’t expect Royal Caribbean to be a stuffy crowd. Just regular everyday people like me enjoying their vacation.

His sport jacket is a Michael Kors jacket of very fine quality. Maybe he will be able to bring it after all!

They will turn you away from the MDR if you ware a sleeveless shirt for dinner.

Our son-in-law was turned away from the MDR at lunch and asked to change his tank top. This was a few years ago, so things may have changed. To be on the "safe" side I would not wear a sleeveless shirt if you are a man. :D

My DH doesn't wear a sport coat anymore, but when he did, we also folded it neatly in the suitcase, or if we were sailing other than in the dead of winter (we live in the Boston area), he just wore it on the plane going and coming. :D

How do you pack your sport coat without messing it up if you don’t bring a garment bag where it’s packed away neatly on the hanger? We’ve always brought a garment bag that fit multiple jackets and dresses on past cruises, but trying to avoid that this time so it’s easier to carry off our luggage when we return.

Here are two good ways: The Roll Method and The Fold Method. I prefer the fold method, I'm bad at rolling for whatever reason.

For the general topic: Royal needs to update their dress code, in most of North America we've accepted that denim is no longer a working fabric. Dark colored jeans are considered snazzy for men and women, I've been to $100+ restaurants without a jacket in sight and ties are going the way of the cravat.

I picked up a bag (I think I caught a sale at Container Store) designed to hold a sport coat that folded and fit inside my ~19" carry-on. Worked well enough, hanging in bath while showering a few times steamed out the wrinkles before formal night. The large zip lok and dry cleaner approaches work, too. Worst case is if the jacket is in the bag all day and gets hot sun so any creases or wrinkles get baked in and have to steamed out or pressed out (cabin steward should be able to handle).

I'm almost to the point where packing a jacket and tie and 2 dress shirts for the 2 formal dinners isn't worth it to me, but my wife likes me dressed well for formal photo ops. For that matter, a tux is basically the same amount of clothing for the same number of meals.

We have found that the suggested dress for the evening is just that, a suggestion. Most abide by it, some disregard it completely and get away with not following the suggested attire. We have seen some individuals stopped from entering MDR, but few. Our latest was a guy in a tank top

One could argue on upscaled nights, is a tux a violation as much as jeans? I believe Royal on a continuum, is listing the minimum, but it is not stated as so. I googled modern chic, as an example for Celebrity, and images of jeans come up along with shorts. Clearly, the images did not address if the attire was daytime or evening.

I wear a Tommy Bahama camp shirt (mostly floral patterns) with stone colored chinos and have never had an issue. Hope you have a great cruise! :)

I was on LIberty just two weeks ago, One night I'm going in to Chops to have dinner and in front of me was a family of 4, tee-shirts, shorts and flip flops. They were promptly seated and none of the staff said a word. However the looks they were getting from some of the other guests having dinner made me smile thinking back to CC and these attire threads. :D

I also noticed on formal nights there were less people dressed up to the 9's as there were the previous year. Of course the LIberty sails out of Texas and as a Texan we consider a nice pair of jeans as formal wear anyway.

I also noticed on formal nights there were less people dressed up to the 9's as there were the previous year. Of course the LIberty sails out of Texas and as a Texan we consider a nice pair of jeans as formal wear anyway.

Pretty sure in Texas Jeans can only be considered formal wear when accompanied by a hat.