Traveling with a 15 month old on the allure.

You may enjoy a balcony cabin-- when you put your little one down for the night , you will be able to enjoy a glass of wine while listening to the sea. In ports, you can visit beaches and enjoy the water with your baby. The lifeguards in the pool area are VERY vigilant about not allowing babies in the pools so any other opportunities to enjoy a beach vacation are great! The best stroller (in my opinion) is an umbrella stroller that reclines. An umbrella stroller will fit in the hallways and the reclining is perfect for napping. Also, as was previously mentioned, be sure to request a pack and play as they have limited number of these cribs. There are mommy and me sessions every day --I never attended one, but they seemed interesting. The nursery on the Allure is wonderful! But be sure to make it your first stop to reserve the hours you want....

Thanks ! We have a perfect folding stroller that reclines, so I am hoping for some good napping in it! We are planning an early boarding so we can get to the nursery to schedule times right when they open at 11:30 am day 1! Where you able to schedule the times you wanted for the whole week, or did they limit it to the first 3 days to start?

Disposable bibs' date=' table pads/placemats and floor mats make meal clean up easy. "Take & toss" sippy or straw cups since the glasses in the dining areas aren't great for little hands. I suggest the main dining room as much as possible - so much easier than juggling in the buffet. Easy enough to leave if your child loses patience, but if you bring quiet little amusements for distraction between courses, toddlers often do well. In the morning I ordered a little room service milk and cereal for my girls while I was getting ready for breakfast so they weren't hungry while we waited. For us the trick to successful travel with kids is never let them get tired or hungry.

The pool area isn't an issue if they don't know it's there. My girls loved pools but weren't potty trained until they'd been on many cruises - we just didn't go to that area of the deck and enjoyed beaches/resorts in port instead. You can take your blow-up pool to an uncrowded area of the deck and have some splash play. It's awful when the pool is closed on a sea day because they had to shut it down due to someone not following the rules. A blow up ball can be used on the beach and in a closed lounge for some play time. Bring a few sand toys for the beach - a bucket doesn't take up too much room because you can fill it inside your suitcase, plus a shovel, etc. I just always left them at the last beach so I didn't have to worry about putting sandy toys back in my suitcase.

Have a great cruise - it's a wonderful way to travel with toddlers.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Thanks! I love the pic of your baby! Lots of great tips!

I feel sorry for you posting this on here and mentioning the diaper. Commenters on here can be viscious and many posts AND commenters here are anti-kid notwithstanding that they are far better behaved than drunk adults.

We have travelled with our toddlers on several cruises and enjoyed ourselves. We will be traveling with them again on Harmony soon. We stay in suites so have space and the staff really accommodate all of our requests. Enjoy yourself and please don't let the many trolls on here ruin your experience or cruise.

By the way the pack and play RCI provides is adequate - not great - but adequate. There are NO cribs onboard.

Thanks Andy! I wasn’t expecting that response about the diapers! I guess it didn’t help that I just came from Disney and none of the pools restricted babies in swim diapers !

Just to be clear though ..the oasis class ships do have an area that babies in swim diapers can go ??

I wish we could afford a suite !

Swim diaper area? Technically yes. But I would check it out, first. Imagine the large splash pad area with all the toys and fun stuff for kids to play with. Now, imagine they put a tiny circle in the middle of it with no toys for kids to play with and called that the "swim diaper area", where your little one could watch all the other kids playing with toys and you had to say "No, stand here in 2 inches of water and pretend to have fun, you can't touch any of the fun stuff".... I don't know your little one, but ours wanted nothing to do with it. The Harmony and Symphony have since added major upgrades and full on splash pads for swim diapered children. But allure/oasis haven't been upgraded. So no, Oasis class are not all the same. Unfortunately, you are not sailing the ship that has a great swim diaper area.

Besides that, I think you'll find Allure offers a lot compared to other ships. Even if it's just space to maneuver a stroller. But yeah, ice shows, water shows, parades in the promenade, the play areas on the boardwalk, the fun carousel... and yes, the kids area does have a theater you can use, an "open access" play area that you can enjoy and some activities to participate in as well. We did use the nursery and it was fine, but it's NOT a kids club and don't expect any sort of programs like a kids club. The crew will probably be very nice and enjoy playing with your little one, but not much else to it.

When little one is 2 years old, I HIGHLY recommend looking in to Carnival. They are the only line that has a comprehensive camp program that starts at 2 (instead of 3) and includes diaper changes and everything. Face painting, fun activities, you name it, and all complimentary. It was amazing.

But you'll enjoy Allure anyways. Outside of the kids program, the Royal mega ship really does offer a lot of cool spaces and fun things to do.

Ok then. Enough about swim diapers. Anyone else that has experience using the nursery drop off program that can answer my questions?.....

Any tips on how to make the most of our trip and things that would be nice to have that we wouldn’t think of to bring ? We plan to use the drop off sea tots nursery. Were you happy with the program ? Did you book all the time slots for the nursery at the start of the cruise, and were you able to get the times you wanted ? Do they have cruise activities geared towards toddlers like a mommy and me play session? Also, any tips for ports. We are going to Roatan, Honduras , Cozumel and puerto costa maya.

We have used the program a few times and have been very happy with it. The counselors were wonderful and they play well with the kids.

They only let you book a certain number of time slots at a time, but we enrolled him as soon as we boarded and booked 2 hours time slots on the first two days to try it out and then would book in the morning for the same day. There were times that we couldn't get the time that we wanted, but typically could book within 30 minutes to an hour of the requested time. We used them for dinner a couple of nights and one night went to a late show and picked him up at 10pm.

They don't have mommy and me sessions, but they have a large play area that my son liked and we were able to play with him in that room.

I've never been to Honduras, but for Costa Maya we went to the water park and my youngest son and I hung out there and at the pool while my husband and older children did the zip line etc. When we go to Cozumel we go to Playa Mia.

Hope this helps!

Yep happy I booked it! Just trying to plan ahead for some of the details and use the knowledge that others have gathered !

Don't stress the poster. Had done 2 cruises myself before had kids. Then as a single Dad raising by myself 2, 4, and 8yr old kids. Took my Parents the first cruise but 18 months later was just me and the kids. Older ones loved kids program, youngest hung with her Dad. Royal didn't have the Tot's program yet. As others said Umbrella style stroller, extra wipes, favorite toys, and a few sealed prepackaged snacks are handy as can't take ship food ashore. Was lucky my kids were pottie trained and no accidents at nite. But when were good idea bring those disposable bed pads like puppy pads but for kids. Not sure you need them yet but maybe when your kid is at training stage. anyway Enjoy the cruise

Thanks ! We have a perfect folding stroller that reclines, so I am hoping for some good napping in it! We are planning an early boarding so we can get to the nursery to schedule times right when they open at 11:30 am day 1! Where you able to schedule the times you wanted for the whole week, or did they limit it to the first 3 days to start?

Not 100% but if like some the other Royal ships might not be anyone in Nursery area talk to until later in the day. It's theirs and lot of the crews only down time during the week...

We traveled with friends and their 12-month old. We requested a table at dinner directly by the windows. The first night, my friend asked the waiter for a plate of fruit immediately, and after that, the waiter brought it without asking every night. Baby ate the fruit while we ordered the rest of the dinner. When baby got fussy, we'd let him down on the ground between us and the wall so he could play without being in the way of the waiters.

In Cozumel, we took a cab to Chankanaab. There's a gorgeous little protected lagoon for swimming with a nice small beach.

I feel sorry for you posting this on here and mentioning the diaper. Commenters on here can be viscious and many posts AND commenters here are anti-kid notwithstanding that they are far better behaved than drunk adults.

We have travelled with our toddlers on several cruises and enjoyed ourselves. We will be traveling with them again on Harmony soon. We stay in suites so have space and the staff really accommodate all of our requests. Enjoy yourself and please don't let the many trolls on here ruin your experience or cruise.

By the way the pack and play RCI provides is adequate - not great - but adequate. There are NO cribs onboard.

I suspect many who make others aware of the no swim diaper rules on ships are parents who do t want our kids to get sick. Personally, I’m not going in the pools. I remember making my then 4 and 6 year olds get out of s small kiddie pool because there was a diapered toddler in it.

Not 100% but if like some the other Royal ships might not be anyone in Nursery area talk to until later in the day. It's theirs and lot of the crews only down time during the week...

We recently got off the Harmony and the Nursery was open at 11:30am for parents to see the area, meet a staff member, register their child, and sign up for hours. I am not sure when it opened for watching children, I think in the evening hours on the first day. Also, the Harmony had a toy loaning program where you could sign out some toys to take to your room and return for new ones or at the end of the cruise to reduce the amount of toys you have to bring with you. However, I strongly recommend bringing some of your child's favorite toys, especially a favorite blanket or stuffed animal. Have a great cruise!

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2018 at 10:02 PM, ETaylor1015 said:

Thanks Andy! I wasn’t expecting that response about the diapers! I guess it didn’t help that I just came from Disney and none of the pools restricted babies in swim diapers !

Just to be clear though ..the oasis class ships do have an area that babies in swim diapers can go ??

Disney does indeed restrict diapered and non-toilet trained children from many water features on their ships. Your 15mo child is not by any stretch completely toilet-trained and everyone knows this. There are fellow cruisers who WILL call this to the  attention of security/medical/pool staff; I’m one of them. 

On 9/9/2018 at 8:14 PM, Grandma Dazzles said:

Very sad and so entitled! Sorry rules don’t apply to you and your swimming 15-month-old.

Perhaps you shouldn’t take a cruise until she can fully participate in everything offered.

Swim diapers are not allowed in pools on cruise ships. Take it up with the CDC and US Public Health. Their rules; cruise lines are obeying the law.

It’s not just diapers — including “swim” diapers — that are forbidden. Those not completely toilet-trained are not allowed in any pool or hot tub, including family facilities. The rule applies to you and your child. Doesn’t matter if the diaper doesn’t show. She isn’t trained and shouldn’t go there. Period.

22 minutes ago, ToniV said:

Disney does indeed restrict diapered and non-toilet trained children from many water features on their ships. Your 15mo child is not by any stretch completely toilet-trained and everyone knows this. There are fellow cruisers who WILL call this to the  attention of security/medical/pool staff; I’m one of them. 

DCL ships have smaller splash pads for those not potty trained, that’s it, they are not allowed in even the kids pool.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 9:03 AM, ETaylor1015 said:

Yep happy I booked it! Just trying to plan ahead for some of the details and use the knowledge that others have gathered !

You mean “plan ahead on how to break the rules and ignore the knowledge others have gathered.”

WHY are you people still talking about the freaking swim diapers?? I HEARD YOUR MESSAGE LOUD AND CLEAR and have not said another word about it. I came on this site to ask a variety of questions, one being about swimming. Some of you are accusing me of doing something that hasn’t been done. It was a simple QUESTION. Do you not have anything better to do with your time then to be nasty? 

If there are any nice normal people on this site that have actually traveled with a toddler and can offer any tips that would be great. I am still trying to find out if my baby can nap in the nursery, and if there are cribs in there? 

If you don’t have anything useful to say, please save your nasty comments for another topic. 

• Like 3

On 9/9/2018 at 8:42 PM, smplybcause said:

Even the best swim diaper is still just a tea bag for poop. It may not let it out to float in the water, but it certainly does interact with the water as the diaper is not waterproof sealed plastic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Agree. Over last 30 yrs have seen Royal's Pool closed down multiple times as they had to clean it due to "Accidents," though many times not a kid in sight...

Edited by ONECRUISER

5 minutes ago, ETaylor1015 said:

WHY are you people still talking about the freaking swim diapers?? I HEARD YOUR MESSAGE LOUD AND CLEAR and have not said another word about it. I came on this site to ask a variety of questions, one being about swimming. Some of you are accusing me of doing something that hasn’t been done. It was a simple QUESTION. Do you not have anything better to do with your time then to be nasty? 

If there are any nice normal people on this site that have actually traveled with a toddler and can offer any tips that would be great. I am still trying to find out if my baby can nap in the nursery, and if there are cribs in there? 

If you don’t have anything useful to say, please save your nasty comments for another topic. 

Sorry you have had this experience.  There are so many nasty posters on here.  Don't let them distract you.  Ignore them.  

We travel with our little ones but never once used the nursery.  Our kids love Harmony and we are going back again and again.  Our kids have not pooped in the pool but if they do that is what chlorine is for!

Have a great time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2018 at 10:09 PM, BNBR said:

dscn1608.jpg

It's the area on the right that is surrounded by glass. It actually looks a little nicer than I remember it and it MAY work for you. But just be aware of what it is.

Thanks for sharing this. It’s better then I envisioned . That is all she will need to have fun 

2 hours ago, ETaylor1015 said:

Thanks for sharing this. It’s better then I envisioned . That is all she will need to have fun 

Perfect.  Our first time and our swim diapered son hated it.  He wanted to play in the WHOLE thing, lol.  But we sailed a couple weeks ago on Allure and I noticed several kids playing in the swim diaper area and they were smiling and having a great time.  While they vastly expanded and upgraded it on Harmony and Symphony, at least on Allure/Oasis they HAVE a swim diaper area to play in.  That's more than most ships.  I truly hope you have a wonderful time.

We took our youngest on his first cruise when he was 7 months old and he will be going on his second in January at just over 2.  While I can't give you any advice in regards to that ship (we've never sailed on it) or the nursery program (we have yet to use it)  I can give you a few bits of advice.  Disposable bibs and placements are WONDERFUL!  If you don't have to I wouldn't bring a full size stroller as it gets to be a pain to move around, however don't get the super small umbrella ones either.  We got an umbrella that still had the basket under it which helped a lot with freeing up your arms, but still fit easily in the closet when we weren't using it.  If you will be having beach days, bring a plastic shower curtain from the dollar store.  Dig a hole in the sand line it with the shower curtain and then fill that with water, then they have their own little splash pad without taking up a bunch of room in your suitcase.  Baby powder is the absolute best at getting sand off hands and feet.   Royal Caribbean does have pack and plays for you to use however with limited floor space they take up a TON of room, bring a pool noodle with you and put it under the fitted sheet and just let them sleep on the couch bed. The noodle will make it so they can't just roll off the bed.  At dinner if they start getting fussy and you need to leave the dining room they will send you back with your food if you ask for it.  Just go into the vacation without expectations.  We have always brought our kids along on our trips (unless it was a special one) and have never regretted it.  Things are just a different, so just be prepared to roll with it.  At that age if you find an open deck and let them run around they will have as much fun as they have in the splash pad.  It doesn't take much to entertain that age.  Also you can check out toys from the nursery so that can free up room in your suitcases also.  As far as excursions go, only you know what your little one is capable of, will they be ok if they don't get a nap? Will they fall asleep anywhere? If not then plan shorter excursions where you can be back to the ship for nap time.  

16 hours ago, Andy C said:

Sorry you have had this experience.  There are so many nasty posters on here.  Don't let them distract you.  Ignore them.  

We travel with our little ones but never once used the nursery.  Our kids love Harmony and we are going back again and again.  Our kids have not pooped in the pool but if they do that is what chlorine is for!

Have a great time!

Andy C,

This is not true.  If the chlorine was  sufficient to take care of possible contaminants the CCD would allow diapered children in the pools.  The fact that there are regulations requiring the ships to ban diapered children in the pool tells me that they recognize a danger to the health of the other passengers.  Parents of diapered children do not have the right to endanger the health of other passengers. And I love to see the little ones enjoying a vacation with their parents so this is not about not liking kids.  It is about the health of other passengers.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 10:02 PM, ETaylor1015 said:

Actually, ALL the Disney and DCL pools restrict kids in swim diapers.  

I am typically just a "lurker" as they would call it on this site, looking for pieces of information that would help me plan my trip and living vicariously through those kind folks that post reviews. However, after reading through the responses to this topic, I feel inclined to say something, even if it is short and sweet. 

I am too a mother of young children, one of which will be wearing one of those wonderful tea bag swim diapers on our upcoming cruise in 2 weeks. I am appalled by the nasty, sarcastic responses. It is despicable. There are ways to communicate your opinions without being rude or downright mean. 

I applaud you for being for being so mature in your responses to these downright immature responses. Thank you for not sinking to their level.

Bravo for taking your small children on vacations with you. We have taken small children on a few cruises now and I have so many memories that I will cherish for a lifetime. People will be nasty where ever we go so it is important for us fellow parents to cheer each other on. Ignore the haters. I am certain that you are doing a fabulous job raising wonderful children who will be more kind to others than some of our fellow Cruise Critic members posting here. 

Edited by Kday11511
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Kday11511 said:

I am typically just a "troll" as they would call it on this site, looking for pieces of information that would help me plan my trip and living vicariously through those kind folks that post reviews. However, after reading through the responses to this topic, I feel inclined to say something, even if it is short and sweet. 

I am too a mother of young children, one of which will be wearing one of those wonderful tea bag swim diapers on our upcoming cruise in 2 weeks. I am appalled by the nasty, sarcastic responses. It is despicable. There are ways to communicate your opinions without being rude or downright mean. 

I applaud you for being for being so mature in your responses to these downright immature responses. Thank you for not sinking to their level.

Bravo for taking your small children on vacations with you. We have taken small children on a few cruises now and I have so many memories that I will cherish for a lifetime. People will be nasty where ever we go so it is important for us fellow parents to cheer each other on. Ignore the haters. I am certain that you are doing a fabulous job raising wonderful children who will be more kind to others than some of our fellow Cruise Critic members posting here. 

Nice, good job showing your children that it’s ok to break the rules and endanger others because you feel like it. That’s rude.