Stupid TA advice

jeepgirl30

My parents talk from time to time about finally trying a cruise. I told my mom she and my dad should go ahead and get passports now so when they decide to go they will have them and not need to worry. I explained they were good for 10 years so she was set.

She talked to a TA and mentioned she would be getting a passport. The idiot TA told her not to bother as most the Carb islands don't need them anyway.

So mom calls me asking which do and which do not. I said I had no clue but thought it was better just to get it so you weren't limited.

I also told her to lose the number of that TA and never take advice from her/him ever again.

I'm not a diehard passport supporter, I have one but DH does not. However, my parents like to travel at last minute and have the funds to get a passport so why not is how I explained it to my mom. I just think the TA discouraging it is silly.

Imagination 3/2003

Days until Sensation...

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=6>

<param name="day" value=12>

<param name="hour" value=16>

</applet>

This *has* to be the dumbest thing ever to come out of the mouth of a TA.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

TBA

I second what Tef said. *shakes head*

Liv...Winds are 15 knots and holding....the whole world is a drop zone!

cs-ts-746.jpg

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=10>

<param name="day" value=23>

<param name="hour" value=16>

</applet>

Until the SINsational Cruise from the Bayou

NCL Sky 2/02

I agree with everyone above...and I don't even have a passport as yet!

Militant Breastfeeding & Homebirth Proponent-Sandra Carmichael

Mardi Gras 6/79

Mardi Gras 6/79

(back to back cruises)

Celebration 8/02

Splendour of the Seas 3/03

Jubilee 7/03

Conquest 1/04

Celebration 1/04

Elation 2/04

Elation *coming again* 1/05

I heard the exact opposite from my TA. She suggested we obtain a passport for our next cruise. Sailing in May and probably could not get one in time for this cruise. I will apply for I when I return from this cruise. She says less hassle with passport.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;05;15;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

My passport is 'way over 10 yrs. old, so thanks to the wise folks here at CC, I also think it will one day be mandatory. So.....that is at the top of my "to do" list for today. Off to the post office, I go! icon_smile.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

All we need to do is implant the chip in everyone at birth and passports will not be necessary.

TBA

I got one finally for our May 2002 cruise. It was EASY! (the photo is actually worse than on my driver's license and I didn't think that possible). But, except for the ugly ID photo, I'm glad I did it.

My TA suggested we get our passports, too. My DH had to get his brand new, and mine was simply a renewal.

People fail to remember that a passport is a solid citizenship ID, not just for travel, but for every day. You can use it when you fill out I-9 forms for employment, too.

I think having a passport is a very important piece of identification, and I personally wouldn't travel without it (abroad or out of the US).

You were wise telling mom to lose the number of that TA. I'm sure there are much wiser ones who can better serve her needs.

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - '94

Royal Majesty - '96

Countdown to VICTORY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I have a passport. It's not to get into Caribbean islands, or even other countries. It is to get me back into the US easier!

Like others have said, its they way the world is going, your folks might as well get one now and avoid the rush!

Denise

Denise

Celebrity Zenith March, 2005

Carnival Glory March, 2004

Carnival Pride September, 2003

Carnival Legend Februrary, 2003

Carnival Pride, March 2002

Paradise Back-To-Back May, 2001

Carnival Destiny, March 2000

I agree with all. We are getting our three kids theirs for our Oct Cruise. Our youngest is 3....getting one for her as well.

Carnival Tropicale 94'

Carnival Inspiration 96'

Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas 01'

Carnival Triumph 03'

Carnival Destiny 10/3/04'

Destiny!!!!!!!!!!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;10;3;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mom always told me: ALWAYS be sure to have a current passport... you never know when a handsome man will invite you to join him for lunch in Paris!

Lido Deck Linda

dudes.gif

062802jumpie_prv.gif033102food_1_prv.gif062802drink_prv.gif082502cheers_prv.gif

Fantasy 2/6/2000

Victory 3/23/2003

Destiny 4/25/2004

Hmmm, pretty stupid advise. Tell your mom to get passports and then get a new TA.

--Tybug--

10-01 Imagination

02-02 Sovereign of the Seas

10-02 Inspiration

01-03 Majesty of the Seas

04-03 Inspiration

10-03 NCL Dawn

02-04 Rhapsody of the Seas

05-04 Majesty of the Seas

10-04 Mariner of the Seas

Okaaaay. Our travel agent also told us the same thing, we didn't need them. We have our official birth certificates.

We're Canadian, flying to Galveston, cruising on Celebration to Cozumel etc. Is this going to be a problem?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;4;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Linda, I don't know your Mom, but I LIKE that woman!!!

I just filled out a passport application this week! Don't really need it for my Bahama cruise, but figured, if I had one, I'd be more likely to travel. It gets me one step closer to leaving the country for a nice vacation in Venice!!

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

Originally posted by M. St. Louis:

.....Is this going to be a problem?

No, don't get panicky. It won't be a problem if you have your photo ID and the specified type of birth certificate.

I think most everybody is just thinking into the future - that one day passports will be mandatory, but you'll be just fine.

-------

Linda ~ I like your mom's way of thinking! icon_biggrin.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

At the present time you dont need a passport for cruising. A stte isssued birth certificate is all that is needed. The travel agent did not give you misinformation. They are NOT needed NOW.. Maybe in the future.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

Serene is right, they are not needed.

But we sure are glad we got ours before our first cruise.

Going through customs or immigration, for example, has been much easier and quicker for us with a passport.

We've breezed through Embarkation with a quick glance of our passports while people with "other" ID are scrutinized.

If someone is planning one and only one cruise or trip traveling outside of the continental United States they probably should not get a passport but they should get a life.

...too sassy?

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

In defense of getting a passport, above and beyond how much easier it makes travel, it's a great piece of ID for writing a check at the grocery.

TBA

your travel agent isn't an idiot. You don't need a passport to get into or out of an island. I have traveled each of my cruises with a passport and my friend has only had a picture id and birth certificate. We were both processed through customs the exact same way ... in the exact same amount of time.

since my cruise!!!!! i'm bummed!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;8;16;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I have to agree with stripes. I have always just used a birth certificate and photo ID, and have never had a problem. What I don't understand is why is everyone getting ready to tar and feather a TA for giving advice that would save a couple well over $100 on passports? I don't think that "one day we may all need them" is justification.

Archived