OMG the wine prices are ridiculous

KruisingKaren

Okay, I re-read the policy and it does state you can only drink wine taken on-board inside your room to avoid corkage fee. So technically taking a glass from your room to the dinning room or anywhere else on the ship would be cheating the policy. So, to the poster of OMG the wine prices are ridiculous, YES they are and keep in mind if you bring wine on-board you HAVE to drink it in your room or pay the $18 corkage fee.

Bringing your own wine onboard and paying the corkage allows for different selections and might save you some $$. The bigger savings will be on the more expensive wines. Just compare HAL prices to TW. Add the corkage and you will be saving.

This is not about smuggling wine onboard and cheating the system.

I'm willing to pay the corkage. I didn't say otherwise.

No worries at all :)

My comments were not directed at you but the party I quoted.

I have no problem to pay corkage either ;) Especially when we are in Europe and there are so many different offerings that we can't get here or on board to try. We often use HAL's wine packages for dinner but also like to "savour the flavour" when we are travelling ;)

Very true. BTW - Most of the sections have specific staff experts. You'll see little shelf signs on some of the wines telling you that this is Adrian's favorite wine or something like that. They tend to be very knowledgeable and a great for recommendations. They're also really helpful when you know what you want but can't figure out where they stock it. (Happens to me all the time with French reds.)

Good to know. I had heard that they employ a very knowledgeable staff and that they are well trained wine professionals. I wish we had one here in Nashville. They have one in Knoxville.. but not here /pout.

I think OP will enjoy Total Wine especially since she is from CA wine country.

OP, I hope you enjoy your wine and your cruise! :D

I thought the limit for taking wine onboard was one bottle per passenger in the carry on luggage. We ordered an 8 bottle package on our last cruise and found it reasonable. We are Canadian and used to higher wine prices in restaurants anyway. The wine selection for the package was good and the sommelier upgraded our wine a couple of times. We will do this again.

I thought the limit for taking wine onboard was one bottle per passenger in the carry on luggage. We ordered an 8 bottle package on our last cruise and found it reasonable. We are Canadian and used to higher wine prices in restaurants anyway. The wine selection for the package was good and the sommelier upgraded our wine a couple of times. We will do this again.

The limit at "no charge" is one bottle per passenger in carry on.

You can bring on more wine with an $18 (USD) corkage fee paid on each bottle and it must be carrried on.

For we Canadians, I agree, the pricing is fairly reasonable. We do pay corkage as we enjoy trying different wines that we cannot get here or on board, but we also buy the wine packages for dinner ;). The best of both worlds :D

Bringing your own wine onboard and paying the corkage allows for different selections and might save you some $$. The bigger savings will be on the more expensive wines. Just compare HAL prices to TW. Add the corkage and you will be saving.

This is not about smuggling wine onboard and cheating the system.

I wonder how you would do it for an 82-day cruise :rolleyes:

I wonder how you would do it for an 82-day cruise :rolleyes:

You can bring wine on in ports, not just at embarkation as long as you don't mind paying the corkage fee ;)

Not that hard at all ;)

You don't have to buy all your wine at Total Wine. In fact, there are wonderful wines in Europe, Australia, New Zealand that TW doesn't carry.

Experimenting and savouring the flavour can be fun :)

Search online for Total Wine coupons. Download before you go. They are great!
I had no idea they had coupons. Thank you (y)
The coupons can be found under Deals in the site menu. Also look at the weekly ad for coupons. Most have a code you can use for your online order.

BUT... if you sign up on the site, your coupons, sent to you in email, are often BETTER than the ones you find online. Total Wine has two email addresses for me. One is registered for purchases. The other is not. Last week, the registered address had a 15% savings off $50. The other one was for $5 off $50.

Just to be sure I'm reading this right..... you can bring ONE bottle of wine onboard with NO corkage fee. All other bottles brought on, either at your embarkation port or other ports along the cruise WILL have an $18 corkage fee, and it doesn't matter where you drink it, in your cabin, in the MDR, or in the men's room. You pay an $18 corkage fee for all bottles above ONE, no matter where you drink it. Is that correct ?

Some of the posts seem to think that if they bring a case of wine onboard, and drink it all in their cabin, there's no $18 fee. One post suggested that you pour your wine in the cabin, and carry the glass to the MDR for dinner. I think that the corkage fee is assessed when you bring it onboard. From that point, you can carry a bottle and a glass anywhere on the ship and enjoy your wine with no issues.

So glad we bought the SBP. No need to bring our own wine!

Okay, I re-read the policy and it does state you can only drink wine taken on-board inside your room to avoid corkage fee. So technically taking a glass from your room to the dinning room or anywhere else on the ship would be cheating the policy. So, to the poster of OMG the wine prices are ridiculous, YES they are and keep in mind if you bring wine on-board you HAVE to drink it in your room or pay the $18 corkage fee.

Just to be sure I'm reading this right..... you can bring ONE bottle of wine onboard with NO corkage fee. All other bottles brought on, either at your embarkation port or other ports along the cruise WILL have an $18 corkage fee, and it doesn't matter where you drink it, in your cabin, in the MDR, or in the men's room. You pay an $18 corkage fee for all bottles above ONE, no matter where you drink it. Is that correct ?

Some of the posts seem to think that if they bring a case of wine onboard, and drink it all in their cabin, there's no $18 fee. One post suggested that you pour your wine in the cabin, and carry the glass to the MDR for dinner. I think that the corkage fee is assessed when you bring it onboard. From that point, you can carry a bottle and a glass anywhere on the ship and enjoy your wine with no issues.

A minor correction. Each person can bring one bottle of wine on board for consumption in the cabin without paying corkage. However, if you take that one bottle outside the cabin, then corkage is due.

This whole thing about pouring a glass and taking it to the MDR is over-rated. One bottle won't last long will it?

The coupons can be found under Deals in the site menu. Also look at the weekly ad for coupons. Most have a code you can use for your online order.

BUT... if you sign up on the site, your coupons, sent to you in email, are often BETTER than the ones you find online. Total Wine has two email addresses for me. One is registered for purchases. The other is not. Last week, the registered address had a 15% savings off $50. The other one was for $5 off $50.

This probably isn’t where I should be going for details about TW, but I’m guessing “registered for purchases” means that email account has credit card info attached? Is that better coupon only for online purchases? ...Never mind if this is too much of a tangent. :)

We like good wine and we like some cheap wine. Not that picky. I would never buy the SBP simply because you can’t buy bottles of the good stuff with it and we don’t drink enough to justify the expense. I did a little experiment last cruise to confirm.. We drank all we wanted and didn’t spend near the price of the package. We brought our own fancy wine and paid the corkage. If you’re buying the SBP for drinks, then it makes sense. But I wouldn’t buy it for wine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums