Worried about length of cruise

FSU Girl

I’m from the UK so may be bias but.... DO THE EUROPE CRUISE!

We are so tiny and it can be so cheap to get from one end to the other, mainland to islands, that I don’t see the benefit of cruising round (in potentially poopy weather). I just had a quick look at an itinerary for this Sep and I am certain that for what you would pay for a week with Disney, you could do at least a two-week DIY land/air-based trip easily! You could even add in some stops in mainland Europe or beyond and still be “quids in” as we say!! (for example we just booked flights UK-Iceland for the grand total of $50 return!)

If you’re that undecided about the 11 day cruise (which btw sounds like bliss to me - we did a 13 day TA last year and loved it so much we are going again this Nov) just to throw another option in, what about a Northern Europe/Scandinavian cruise? That is one region I think a cruise would be beneficial as it’s so expensive to eat/drink/stay in a lot of countries!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was looking at the 9 night Getaway cruise that leaves from Copenhagen to the Baltic. The cruise is cheaper, but we don’t really want to spend 5 days in Copenhagen so we’d have to figure out where to go before and then fly there. Flights to Europe are really expensive when it’s not round trip from the same city so that would be an added cost.

I was looking at the 9 night Getaway cruise that leaves from Copenhagen to the Baltic. The cruise is cheaper, but we don’t really want to spend 5 days in Copenhagen so we’d have to figure out where to go before and then fly there. Flights to Europe are really expensive when it’s not round trip from the same city so that would be an added cost.

Ok so you’ll have to excuse me if this reply gets a little too long...!! But I spent 2 years travelling back and forth to Florida pretty much every 6-8 weeks (long distance relationship) before moving over here so I like to think I am the queeeeeeen of finding cheap flights over that damn Atlantic!

I *think* you are in Florida so hope this will help... but it should be relevant elsewhere in the US too :-)

You can fly from Orlando the UK (Manchester & Gatwick probably have the most choice) with Thomas Cook Airlines - they are more known for package holidays shipping us Brits over to Disney - but you *can* buy one-way flights with them. I got a ticket home for $139 including checked baggage earlier this year and they sometimes have even cheaper out of peak season (July-August for us) fares.

From there you could fly to mainland Europe with a budget airline - Easyjet, Ryanair, Flybe to name a few...

We have used Norwegian Air from Orlando - they definitely fly direct to Norway (lol), the UK and I’m sure some other countries. Again, you can snag vvvvvvv.cheapo 1-way flights with them.

We have also just discovered Wow Air which is an Icelandic airline and STUPIDLY cheap! OH just got a flight Detroit-Reykjavik for $99 but we saw cheap flights from most of their US bases (mainly more northern cities but lots that the like of Allegiant etc fly in to) They offer the option of a free layover in Iceland before you fly on to your final destination, so you could easily spend a couple of days there and then on to somewhere new.

Another way I have saved mega $$$ is by booking flight+hotel through Expedia, but with only 1 night (usually mid-week) in the hotel. I sort by price, pick the cheapest, save around 15% on Virgin/Delta flight prices and never so much as even look at the accommodation, never mind check-in! Of course, this wouldn’t work as well with starting/ending in different places but there are plenty of connecting flights (and trains!) if you are flexible.

Obviously searching and booking legs separately does take time, and it usually means a slightly longer journey than hub-hub direct with a national carrier, but the savings are worth it - and OH likes all the extra stamps in his passport from “visiting” new places!

>>I think I was a travel agent in a former life<<

I agree 7 days to fly to Europe is too short. We are going for 2 weeks no matter what, just wasn't sure if we should do a week long cruise and a week on land instead of the 11 night. I did longer sailings as a kid with my parents, but since I turned 18 the longest I've done was 7 nights.

You're going to be on land every day but one. And you don't have to pack and unpack when you move to the next. Definitely don't book excursions in every port, but that cruise hits some amazing places. This sort of trip is really a floating hotel where you wake up in a different city every day.

I think the intensity of the cruise is a player in deciding if it is too long. We did a 12 day British Isles cruise. Only had 1 sea day. Wow, we felt it was about 1 day too long, so maybe 11 is perfect! I found that ports were running together in my mind and I couldn't remember where we did what....so keep good notes or intentionally go low key for some ports. Then again, I'm middle aged (albeit active), so maybe that's just me! Although, my teenagers also felt it was too long...but, we were on Princess and it didn't have the attractions available on most NCL ships.

33 is our longest so far, 35 next year.

Bucket list includes 77 Circle Pacific and 110 World Cruise.

I expect that will still be too short

Very nice. I had a friend who did a 6 month cruise on the Queen Elizabeth a long time ago, leaving on December 27 ( i think it was) out of Venezuela. she thought that was just too long and by the end of the trip, she said she was exhausted...LOL. I think 6 month would be too long too. :cool:

I currently have a 11 night Italy and Greek Isles cruise booked for my honeymoon next September. I'm worried about the length of the cruise. My Fiance has never been on a cruise longer than a week before. Do you think it would be better to switch to a week long cruise paired with a week somewhere in Europe or keep the 11 night?

Only you can decide this; either way has its advantages. Like most of us, we started our cruising days doing 7 day cruises and sometimes even 5 day ones. Now our preference is 7 to 12 days. So who knows? the important thing for many would be "how many sea days?" This is probably more a concern for younger couples.

Now that I read the rest of your postings on this: you are totally stressing out way too much. You are going to have a breakdown before you wedding if you don't relax. An 11 day cruise with only 1 sea day is a dream come true for many. Look at all you will get to experience!!!

I currently have a 11 night Italy and Greek Isles cruise booked for my honeymoon next September. I'm worried about the length of the cruise. My Fiance has never been on a cruise longer than a week before. Do you think it would be better to switch to a week long cruise paired with a week somewhere in Europe or keep the 11 night?

Doesn't that itinerary stop at a port each day? If so, just think of the ship as a floating hotel. You'll wake up and get to explore a new European city each day. Honestly, at that point it's not much different than being land based for 3.

If it were 4 extra sea days, it would be different. That would get old fast if you didn't enjoy ship time.

Ok so you’ll have to excuse me if this reply gets a little too long...!! But I spent 2 years travelling back and forth to Florida pretty much every 6-8 weeks (long distance relationship) before moving over here so I like to think I am the queeeeeeen of finding cheap flights over that damn Atlantic!

I *think* you are in Florida so hope this will help... but it should be relevant elsewhere in the US too :-)

You can fly from Orlando the UK (Manchester & Gatwick probably have the most choice) with Thomas Cook Airlines - they are more known for package holidays shipping us Brits over to Disney - but you *can* buy one-way flights with them. I got a ticket home for $139 including checked baggage earlier this year and they sometimes have even cheaper out of peak season (July-August for us) fares.

From there you could fly to mainland Europe with a budget airline - Easyjet, Ryanair, Flybe to name a few...

We have used Norwegian Air from Orlando - they definitely fly direct to Norway (lol), the UK and I’m sure some other countries. Again, you can snag vvvvvvv.cheapo 1-way flights with them.

We have also just discovered Wow Air which is an Icelandic airline and STUPIDLY cheap! OH just got a flight Detroit-Reykjavik for $99 but we saw cheap flights from most of their US bases (mainly more northern cities but lots that the like of Allegiant etc fly in to) They offer the option of a free layover in Iceland before you fly on to your final destination, so you could easily spend a couple of days there and then on to somewhere new.

Another way I have saved mega $$$ is by booking flight+hotel through Expedia, but with only 1 night (usually mid-week) in the hotel. I sort by price, pick the cheapest, save around 15% on Virgin/Delta flight prices and never so much as even look at the accommodation, never mind check-in! Of course, this wouldn’t work as well with starting/ending in different places but there are plenty of connecting flights (and trains!) if you are flexible.

Obviously searching and booking legs separately does take time, and it usually means a slightly longer journey than hub-hub direct with a national carrier, but the savings are worth it - and OH likes all the extra stamps in his passport from “visiting” new places!

>>I think I was a travel agent in a former life<<

Thank you for this! It is so detailed. You guessed correctly that I am from Florida :) The flights for our dates aren't out yet, but I'll take all of this into consideration when we start looking

You're going to be on land every day but one. And you don't have to pack and unpack when you move to the next. Definitely don't book excursions in every port, but that cruise hits some amazing places. This sort of trip is really a floating hotel where you wake up in a different city every day.

That is true we won't have to deal with lugging our luggage around Europe and will get to see so many amazing places

I think the intensity of the cruise is a player in deciding if it is too long. We did a 12 day British Isles cruise. Only had 1 sea day. Wow, we felt it was about 1 day too long, so maybe 11 is perfect! I found that ports were running together in my mind and I couldn't remember where we did what....so keep good notes or intentionally go low key for some ports. Then again, I'm middle aged (albeit active), so maybe that's just me! Although, my teenagers also felt it was too long...but, we were on Princess and it didn't have the attractions available on most NCL ships.

I was looking at a 12 night British Isles cruise with Princess, but the biggest draw for me was going to Paris and they were there the day Versailles is closed so we opted against that. With only one sea day on this cruise it does seem like it could be a bit exhausting, so we would have to find some ports to take it easy and not be go go go the whole time and get burned out.

Only you can decide this; either way has its advantages. Like most of us, we started our cruising days doing 7 day cruises and sometimes even 5 day ones. Now our preference is 7 to 12 days. So who knows? the important thing for many would be "how many sea days?" This is probably more a concern for younger couples.

Now that I read the rest of your postings on this: you are totally stressing out way too much. You are going to have a breakdown before you wedding if you don't relax. An 11 day cruise with only 1 sea day is a dream come true for many. Look at all you will get to experience!!!

I'm an over planner and my fiance is a go with the flow type. I'm trying to make everything perfect lol. I do need to relax. There is so much we will see on this cruise and I love Roman and Greek history so it is kind of perfect.

Doesn't that itinerary stop at a port each day? If so, just think of the ship as a floating hotel. You'll wake up and get to explore a new European city each day. Honestly, at that point it's not much different than being land based for 3.

If it were 4 extra sea days, it would be different. That would get old fast if you didn't enjoy ship time.

It has a port all but one day. There was another NCL cruise we were looking at, but it had 5 sea days and the ship didn't have great reviews so we decided that was just too much. Being on the ship does make it easier to get around without having to worry about transportation and luggage.

OP: I guess you would really be worried if you were going on our 32 day cruise this November. LOL;p:D I could live on a ship and never have a problem, oh except I would probably weigh more than the ship.:eek:

Lol maybe one day but definitely far off in the future. I wish I could travel all the time, but work would sadly not approve.

Take the 11 days, relax and enjoy yourselves. If you have the time for the trip, take it. Chances are it may be many years before you're able to do this again. Even if by day 8 you're ready to just get off this thing it will still be a fond funny memory you will have made together and that is the most important part.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage. Wishing you decades of love and happiness.

Take the 11 days, relax and enjoy yourselves. If you have the time for the trip, take it. Chances are it may be many years before you're able to do this again. Even if by day 8 you're ready to just get off this thing it will still be a fond funny memory you will have made together and that is the most important part.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage. Wishing you decades of love and happiness.

Thanks! That is a good way to look at it. And it’s true I don’t know when we’ll be able to do a trip like this again since we are going to try for a baby soon after. We will have great memories from our first trip together to Europe :)