Alaska-Once...maybe but Not again

TNCruzer56

We loved it so much we are sailing agian this Saturday. Fully expecting rain rain rain! You actually have to go out and do some excursions to really take in Alaska. We went kayaking and had humpbacks, orcos and sea lions in the bay with us! If that doesn’t do it for ya then I don’t know what will! We personally hate the beaches and ocean stuff. We live near the beach so we choose differenr climates to vacation.

Sure I`ll get some neg pushback, but really did not enjoy the trip that much!

#1 Price-It was the most expensive cruise we`ve ever taken. We even had an oceanview vs the previous 20+ balcs.

#2 Crazy port times. Juneau arrived at 3PM-Bliss was in the way. Beautiful Victoria-arrive 6PM!

#3 Basically 3 1/2 sea days.

#4 Way overpacked

#5 cheapest lunch ashore with a couple of $6.00 beers was 40 bucks

# 6 Only saw the slight hump of a humpback whale, even though our guide kept saying "he`s gonna jump any second" and several blowholes#7 saw 2 bears about 300 yards away for 20 seconds

Beautiful Wife wanted to do it-So North, we went

Some swear by it, but-Back to the Med for this Cruzer.

I *think* we were on this cruise as well. We were on the Pearl and the Bliss seemed to be everywhere we went. This is a very good post and I'd like to add my nickel (accounting for inflation!)

This was our second cruise to Alaska - our first cruise as well as our first time to Alaska we went on the Jewel in September 2016, 10 days - one way Seattle to Vancouver. We were so hooked we took our adult children this time. They were all just wowed by the scenery and wildlife - it was truly the trip of a lifetime. Having said that, while I love Alaska (I had wanted to go for the last 20 years) I am now content and will be looking to explore other itineraries. I'm sure I will want to go back someday soon, but for now I am content.

I was disappointed that Sitka was not part of the itinerary, it was my favorite port, but our schedules were restricted and this was the only week that worked for everyone.

So no push back here - thanks for posting your thoughts.

Sure I`ll get some neg pushback, but really did not enjoy the trip that much!

#1 Price-It was the most expensive cruise we`ve ever taken. We even had an oceanview vs the previous 20+ balcs.

#2 Crazy port times. Juneau arrived at 3PM-Bliss was in the way. Beautiful Victoria-arrive 6PM!

#3 Basically 3 1/2 sea days.

#4 Way overpacked

#5 cheapest lunch ashore with a couple of $6.00 beers was 40 bucks

# 6 Only saw the slight hump of a humpback whale, even though our guide kept saying "he`s gonna jump any second" and several blowholes

#7 saw 2 bears about 300 yards away for 20 seconds

Beautiful Wife wanted to do it-So North, we went

Some swear by it, but-Back to the Med for this Cruzer.

Hi Rick! That flamer thing, yeah, ought to be a law!

But, to your comments - I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it turned out to be the very best vacation of my life (my sister and husband said the same). But variables like weather and excursions could have made a huge difference I am sure.

We went early June and the weather was lovely. Mostly mild, not a lot of rain, and no bug issue. One of the excursions was too crowded and on the other we didn’t see a lot of jumping whales (but we were happy with what we saw, like some mother and baby combos and clearly we got to see more than you were able to see). The trip up to the Yukon Territory was amazing (we did the smaller luxury bus vs the train so we could stop as needed - a long day, but some amazing bucket-list views).

I shop cruise prices like the clearance shopper that I am and we thought we found a good price (relatively speaking) - we had my sister with us and stayed in the 2/2 Haven and it was 50% of the greatness of the journey (so many reasons for that, but the short version is that it was relaxing and everything we could need supplied). You are correct, the Alaska routes tend to be more expensive, but I did note that the routes from Vancouver were a lot less (a bit more of a pain, but paying a lot less helped my feelings on that :')).

I should add that we stayed in Vancouver for another 5 days after the cruise and explored Bowen Island (amazing place with beautiful woods for walks), Stanley Park, and the other interesting activities in Vancouver and other parts of BC. That addition took a great vacation to an unforgettable one (it helped that we found a lovely and reasonably priced 2/2 hotel room in the middle of the city on a high floor with tons of windows!). Glad to share the details of that leg of our journey with anyone that might be interested (after all, it took me months to plan it, I would be happy if someone else could benefit!).

I am so sorry you didn’t enjoy it - I can sure see how a few things going the other direction would have changed my thoughts on it. If I felt that I had overpaid, it would have soured things tremendously. But it can be better, I swear!

Enjoy your Med :D

Lynn

To each his own. We've been there five times. I'd go back in a minute. Hubby? Not so much.

My favorite bear story happened on I think our first trip. I can't remember if the Captain pointed it out or not, but there was a bear walking on the beach. As we came alongside it, it stood up and started waving an Italian flag. A man in a bear suit.

Im with you Linda. We have been to Alaska 4 times and are looking at booking our 5th now. Yes it is expensive and wildlife is wildlife, it shows itself when it wants to. We go for the views.

We've been very lucky with whale watching. We had an absolutely magnificent time the first time we went to see the Orcas near Victoria. Smooth sailing and so many Orcas you couldn't take it all in. The second time, horrible conditions. Too rough to be outside on deck, many people very seasick. You just never know.

We went on the same tour twice near Ketchikan. It was a hike through the woods where bears were. The first time, not a single bear. All we saw were some tracks in the mud. The second time, plenty of bears including mommas with cubs. Again, you just never know. Another time we took a sea plane into the interior to see bears. Yes, plenty of bears fishing in a stream just like on the nature shows. But the smell was horrible. There were so many fish that the bear would take a single bite out of it and just leave it to rot.

Our most disappointing event was when we signed up for the small boat to take us into Tracey Arms. Due to a medical emergency, the ship sailed past it and directly to Juneau. I was so disappointed, but of course understood that the medical emergency came first.

We've been there early in the season, mid-season, and late season. We went one time and they were in the middle of a heat wave and people were going ashore to buy summer clothing. Another time it rained and rained.