Are NCL North Europe cruises different from NCL Carib Cruises?

PoolSlider

Is it a quieter type of sailing? Is the party atmosphere toned down? Just checking if I'm a good fit to sail North Europe on the Pearl in 2019. I don't much care for the big ships; I have sailed on the Dawn in the Carib and found it just fine. I'm just hoping for less forced joviality if I book North Europe.

For what it's worth, I sail for itinerary first. I like decent food in MDR and buffet. I like unique shore excursions. I like to maximize port time. This will not be "the trip of a lifetime" so I will not require all the stuff that is usually sold. So do you think it'll work out based on your experience outside of North America?

I guess they are more port intensive and the ports are quite busy and you spend a lot of energy exploring (not beaches!) so people tend to party less as a result... there will still be parties if you want that but definitely quieter parts of the ship too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a Baltic cruise a couple of years ago from UK, whether it was the destinations, the weather or the fact that it was a longer cruise I don't know but we found the ship to be much quieter than a carribean or Western Med cruise and very few kids. It was still great fun though

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Is it a quieter type of sailing? Is the party atmosphere toned down? Just checking if I'm a good fit to sail North Europe on the Pearl in 2019. I don't much care for the big ships; I have sailed on the Dawn in the Carib and found it just fine. I'm just hoping for less forced joviality if I book North Europe.

For what it's worth, I sail for itinerary first. I like decent food in MDR and buffet. I like unique shore excursions. I like to maximize port time. This will not be "the trip of a lifetime" so I will not require all the stuff that is usually sold. So do you think it'll work out based on your experience outside of North America?

You are describing me so you will love a European cruise. I cruise for itinerary and use the ship as a floating hotel. NCL in Europe has a good mix of North Americans and Brits. Most of my cruises in Europe have had just 1-2 sea days on my 10-12 day cruises. We usually walk 15-25K a day on our port days as we DIY with google maps. I would only take a shorex if I’m not comfortable with the directions I find.

The closest thing to a Caribbean cruise that I’ve done is the Panama Canal. I’m not a beach or relaxing in the sun person.

Yes a European cruise will be a good mix of nationalities with American probably in minority so quieter amostphere. As others have said there is a lot more to see in Europe in terms of scenery, historical sites etc so guests tend to be a lot more tired at night then when you are just sitting on a beach.

Just to clarify, I've sailed on HAL in North Europe and the Caribbean, but I've sailed on NCL only in the Caribbean. I enjoyed both but preferred the gentler tone of HAL. It sounds from the comments above that NCL drops the high volume music and crew pier dancing in Europe? i understand that most cruisers prefer the party vibe in the Caribbean and I get it. But maybe it wont happen on a cruise elsewhere?

Just to clarify, I've sailed on HAL in North Europe and the Caribbean, but I've sailed on NCL only in the Caribbean. I enjoyed both but preferred the gentler tone of HAL. It sounds from the comments above that NCL drops the high volume music and crew pier dancing in Europe? i understand that most cruisers prefer the party vibe in the Caribbean and I get it. But maybe it wont happen on a cruise elsewhere?

Probably best to stick with HAL.

I think that is a fair statement. A good way of looking at is NCL is giving what the passenger demographic is looking for. The European cruises are more toned down. The entertainment is more geared to European taste than the Caribbean.

I am also not a fan of the Caribbean cruise scene.

We just returned from 7 day Adriatic cruise on Star. 5 pretty extensive ports, not including Venice and 1 seaday.

Our cruise had I'd say many Americans as well as people from UK, South Africa, Australia and some no English countries.

I'd say it was pretty active in terms of entertainment including late night parties, music in all lounges and great theater shows.

We had 2 more European cruises, one of which was with Princess in Northern Europe (not Baltics). It was also normal active cruise with entertainment.

I haven't noticed that Europeans party less than Americans. I'd say that late night parties were even better attended.