Cash Travelers Checks Onboard? Yes/No

Darcy8

I've got nothing against travelers checks per se, but unless you are going far afield they've become obsolete.

You can use your ATM card at the vast majority of foreign bank machines. You gain the benefit of not having travelers checks to "get lost or stolen" and at the ATM you get the credit card issuer's inter-bank (seven figure transaction) exchange rate which is better than cash and much better than traveler's checks. Between credit cards and ATM, checks are generally unnecessary. I still buy smaller and smaller "emergency" quantities, but I increasingly wonder why (old habit die hard).

Plus using a foreign ATM is an experience in itself. In Turkey, I was amused at the mechanics of programming a machine where $1 USD was worth like a million lire (I think it was 100,000+ to 1).

I still take Travelers Checks with me.

I take Travelers Checks, Cash and credit cards. I mostly use the credit cards but figure taking Travelers Checks is safer then bringing cash. If my purse is stolen, I can replace the credit cards and travelers checks but the cash can not be replaced. So I prefer to carry less cash and some travelers checks when I travel then lots of cash and no travelers checks. That is at least my rationale...

Archived