Murcia or stay in Cartagena?

poss

I would stay in Cartagena but, as with my response to your Malaga query, this is just my personal opinion and other people will undoubtedly recommend travelling to Murcia which is a fascinating city.

Cartagena is a very easy port to DIY as the town is compact/easy to get around with attractive buildings including some good examples of Modernista architecture.

The Roman Amphitheatre and Museum is right at the start of the main street opposite the Town Hall at the Plaza de Ayuntamiento and shouldn't be missed - and it would be a sin not to call into the Valor Chocolate Shop virtually next door where you will be tempted with all things chocolaty (hand made chocolates, hot chocolate drinks, ice cream, cakes and pastries etc).

The Santa Florentina is a good indoor market - containing some good Tapas Bars - and the town has a good range of shops (especially for shoe lovers as shoemaking is a local industry).

The castle (Castillo de la Concepcion) is an interesting place to wander around - best way to access this and see some amazing views of your ship and across the bay is via the panoramic scenic elevator.

If you like nautical history you will enjoy the Naval Museum, and the Spanish Civil War Museum will interest 20th Century history fans.

A good way to get your bearings, and learn some of the towns history, is by taking a ride on the trolley train.

Hope this helps a little. Whether you chose Cartagena or Murcia you will have a great day.

Edited by campolady

How long are you in port for and how long does the excursion give you in Murcia?

Murcia's cathedral is beautiful as are it's older streets.

If it's a rush thing, it's not worthwhile. You need time to reallly see some things and enjoy. Murcia is worth seeing, but not in a rush. ;)

Cartagena is an easy diy port as campolady said and the day there can be very relaxing and enjoyable.

Often shps are not in Cartagena for the full day. If it's a short port day, I'd definitely stay in Cartagena.