NCL Bliss Skipping Glacier Cruising

rsato

We were on the Bliss on the 9/15 sailing. We heard the passenger passed away which is really sad. We all need to keep things in perspective. Things happen in life that we (and others) have no control over. Make the best of the situation. We did and we still enjoyed our cruise immensely!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 12:39 AM, rsato said:

Unfortunately, the NCL Bliss Sept 15 sailing had to divert from the scheduled glacier cruising directly to Juneau due to a medical emegency. Certainly, the Captain’s highest priority is to the health of his passengers and crew. I do not know why a helicopter evacuation was not feasible 60 miles from Juneau. Perhaps cruise ships should equip one of the lifeboats often used for tendering to do medical evacuations.

The person who died was my daughter. I still have no concrete information as to what happened. I’ve been told by her partner one story but now she keeps changing it and I’m about to go out of my mind because I have so many questions and I can’t get any crew member to respond to my emails. I’d give anything to speak to the doctor who treated her. If anyone knows even the simplest bit of information I’d be forever grateful. I’m still waiting on the autopsy and forensic toxicology report. I’ve been told there’s a police investigation also. My poor baby spent 7 days in Anchorage before she was flown home to Edmond OK. My daughter’s partner flew home the next day so I had no way of knowing what was going on. Thank you

Rhonda

On 9/22/2018 at 10:19 PM, CindyPie1004 said:

Yup, you can give your opinion and so can I.

Nope, you said nothing about getting a refund or money.

But, just as you drew your conclusions about why the ship was diverted, I drew mine about why you would make such a defamatory statement.

You didn’t like being accused of doing something for money, did you? Bet those you accused didn’t like it either.

P.S. the 34 year old woman who was critically ill, did pass that morning.

On 9/19/2018 at 7:30 PM, rsato said:

Well, I can’t argue with your interest in human life but I will say I think the large cruise ships need to have evacuation procedures in place not only for expediting medical treatment but also not dramatically altering thousands of people’s possible once in a lifetime vacations that many will never have another chance to do.

My daughter died before the ship reached Jueno. I’m sorry her death inconvenienced you and disrupted your trip.  However my life has changed forever. I hate reading all this about my poor baby girl. Please be kind

On 9/19/2018 at 8:41 PM, NLH Arizona said:

Wow! Not sure how either NCL or EMS would benefit from anyone spending more time and money in Juneau. Actually, NCL would lose a lot of onboard spending.

BTW, welcome to Cruise Critic.

I’ve seen some crazy conspiracy theories on this board, but this one takes the cake!

9 hours ago, Rhonda J said:

My daughter died before the ship reached Jueno. I’m sorry her death inconvenienced you and disrupted your trip.  However my life has changed forever. I hate reading all this about my poor baby girl. Please be kind

Rhonda J - I am so sorry for your loss.  I hope you get some answers soon.  I know it wont take your pain away but it might help easy your mind.

Since you are new here, you might try looking under the roll call for your daughters sailing.  Maybe someone there saw or heard something that would help.

On 9/19/2018 at 1:39 AM, rsato said:

Unfortunately, the NCL Bliss Sept 15 sailing had to divert from the scheduled glacier cruising directly to Juneau due to a medical emegency. Certainly, the Captain’s highest priority is to the health of his passengers and crew. I do not know why a helicopter evacuation was not feasible 60 miles from Juneau. Perhaps cruise ships should equip one of the lifeboats often used for tendering to do medical evacuations.

Yes it can be confusing and incredibility frustrating, waiting your whole life to see a glacier and then due to an untimely life event it was not meant to be.  Having walked on glaciers, watching them calve, and seeing the wild life close up.  I understand your disappointment.