GTY Rooms

vacalover99

Figured I'd jump in and tell everyone how I made out with booking my GTY  BF room for a cruise on the NCL BLISS December 1, 2018.

I booked last night a GTY BF which is a balcony fwd or aft on deck 9 or 10

Today I logged into my ncl.com ... and I was assigned a category BA which is a mid ship balcony on deck 13. 

I lucked out!  Great location - even close to the stairs. AND this room is selling for ALOT more than I paid!   I am a very happy cruiser!  Def. saved a ton of money by booking a BF GTY cabin!  Will do it again in a heart beat! 

Also my brother in law booked the same category (we booked the same time through the same TA) and he was assigned a room only 1 away from us!  So this is nice and convenient!  

Thanks again for all your responses to my question!

Can't wait to cruise again! 

7 minutes ago, vacalover99 said:

Figured I'd jump in and tell everyone how I made out with booking my GTY  BF room for a cruise on the NCL BLISS December 1, 2018.

Today I logged into my ncl.com ... and I was assigned a category BA which is a mid ship balcony on deck 13. 

I lucked out!  Great location - even close to the stairs. AND this room is selling for ALOT more than I paid!   I am a very happy cruiser!  Def. saved a ton of money by booking a BF GTY cabin!  Will do it again in a heart beat! 

Also my brother in law booked the same category (we booked the same time through the same TA) and he was assigned a room only 1 away from us!  So this is nice and convenient!  

Was your guaranty including Free at Sea?  Normally the guarantee bookings are signified by X (IX, OX, BX)... But you specifically mentioned BF so just curious if you also qualified for the Free at Sea promotions.

4 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

Was your guaranty including Free at Sea?  Normally the guarantee bookings are signified by X (IX, OX, BX)... But you specifically mentioned BF so just curious if you also qualified for the Free at Sea promotions.

Yes it did include the free perks! We got the dink package and dining package.  Just had to pay the fee's which i think were approx $304 for two people.  Plus free WIFI and a $50 shore excursion credit per port.  (can't remember if this is per stateroom or person tho, I will have to double check)

It was GTY BF room, not a "sail away" GTY.

So even better! 

Edited by vacalover99

2 minutes ago, vacalover99 said:

Yes it did include the free perks!  It was GTY BF room, not a "sail away" GTY.

So even better! 

Got it!  That's awesome. I like to think of those type of guarantees as "pre-bid upgrades"...  They are essentially saying, "Hey, this category is sold out but we think we may have rooms available soon so go ahead and buy and we'll let you know."

If they don't have enough upgrades or movement from the upgrade bids, then they give you a free upgrade instead.

Way to go!  Hope you enjoy.

On 9/21/2018 at 12:54 PM, $hip$hape said:

OP,

You are on the ship, so you have the whole ship to enjoy!

I could be worse..

You could be camping out in Alabama.:p

Enjoy

Hey now, there is NOTHING wrong with Alabama.  LOL.  I just saw this...

Roll Tide!

Bliss is offering some significant savings on BF guarantee rooms.  For Alaska next year I was able to save $800 by switching to a BF guarantee from a confirmed BC while keeping all my perks.  Oddly it's only on category BF - the other categories still cost more than I originally paid.

This is the first time I've ever booked a guarantee before final payment though.  It sounds like from the terms there's no chance of receiving a cabin assignment until after final payment.  Has anyone experienced otherwise?

34 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

Bliss is offering some significant savings on BF guarantee rooms.  For Alaska next year I was able to save $800 by switching to a BF guarantee from a confirmed BC while keeping all my perks.  Oddly it's only on category BF - the other categories still cost more than I originally paid.

This is the first time I've ever booked a guarantee before final payment though.  It sounds like from the terms there's no chance of receiving a cabin assignment until after final payment.  Has anyone experienced otherwise?

Very interesting...  I just went and did three different mock bookings and sure enough, both BD and BF are guarantee on all three across May and June.  I wonder why they would be doing this instead of just going ahead and letting people select a room as you normally would.

8 hours ago, vacalover99 said:

I was going to do the same thing but with free air as I’m in Canada but checkered out due to the double uncertainty. Would you please let me know if they also offer you a bid to upgrade?

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, jjlen11 said:

My 9/30 Bliss sailing had a GTY...…..13844 balcony cabin....great location, quiet, near elevators, awesome deal.  My 4/7 sailing on the Dawn is 10058...….so I am praying its just as good!!!

You've got state rooms above and below you on Dawn... You should be good and near the elevators/stairs as well.

There's always some confusion about this... all Sail Away cabins are GTY (i.e. X category) but all GTY cabins are not necessarily Sail Away. In my mind getting the free at sea perqs on a non-sail-away GTY and saving a bunch of money is a great way to go if you don't need something specific in location (close to stairs, etc). Noise can be dealt with with ear plugs if you can sleep with them in.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 10:50 PM, Cruisennerable said:

I was going to do the same thing but with free air as I’m in Canada but checkered out due to the double uncertainty. Would you please let me know if they also offer you a bid to upgrade?

Yes I was offered an upgrade soon after I booked... I believe it was just a day or two.  But I did book a month away from sailing.   We passed on upgrading... figured we got a good enough deal as it is. 

On 11/10/2018 at 10:54 AM, cdnsteelman said:

There's always some confusion about this... all Sail Away cabins are GTY (i.e. X category) but all GTY cabins are not necessarily Sail Away.

This is an important distinction and most helpful.  I figured this out but not right away.  I think the way you phrased it is perfect.

Yup. 

I went GTY a couple of years ago on Escape. We got our room assignment very early--meaning we knew there were tons of rooms still available--and we were put 2 rooms from the front of the ship. Whatever. It was the chance we took at a slight discount but I will never book a GTY again. 

5 minutes ago, Newleno said:

we always do gty, the money saved per person is just to good to pass up, gty sail away yeppers thats the ticket

Newleno ... Weren't you on the Gem in Sept. 2018?  I think we both paid a slightly higher fare but watched it go down to $399 for each cruise.  Did you do the B2B?  

I really enjoyed my gty. cabins on those cruises.    Deck 5 was better than Deck 11  but I'd definitely do it again.  My steward on Deck 5 was better also ... no real place to pinpoint any difference ... there just was.  

33 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Newleno ... Weren't you on the Gem in Sept. 2018?  I think we both paid a slightly higher fare but watched it go down to $399 for each cruise.  Did you do the B2B?  

I really enjoyed my gty. cabins on those cruises.    Deck 5 was better than Deck 11  but I'd definitely do it again.  My steward on Deck 5 was better also ... no real place to pinpoint any difference ... there just was.  

yes I was, that was an amazing price, got it cheap but not that cheap, did not do the back to back but just got off the breakaway 15 day nyc to nola on sunday.  im looking at holland nov27 singapore to hong kong

3 minutes ago, Newleno said:

yes I was, that was an amazing price, got it cheap but not that cheap, did not do the back to back but just got off the breakaway 15 day nyc to nola on sunday.  im looking at holland nov27 singapore to hong kong

Are you David, from the solo group?   

13 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Are you David, from the solo group?   

No that is not me, happy cruising (ps big disappointment about the rain in bar harbor, was really looking forward to seeing part of the national park, decided not even to get off the ship) 

2 hours ago, Newleno said:

No that is not me, happy cruising (ps big disappointment about the rain in bar harbor, was really looking forward to seeing part of the national park, decided not even to get off the ship) 

I figured it was a long shot ... but the cruise you mentioned that you just got off of made me think ... maybe.   I agree ... I grew up in Boston ... I've been to Maine ... yes.  But I really wanted to see that Port too.  I went to college 15 miles from Newport ... so didn't go ashore there.